Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Oil debating !
Danish MC-forums frequently the question is about which type of oil is the best for your MC ? Especially owners of the old models use mineral types because the manual says that!
Mineral oil was the only choice when GW1000 / 1100 and 1200 was born. Later we have got more heat resistant and finer molecular oil types as semi or fully synthetics oils !

Here is some of the argue I have found:

Mineral oil has ashes and sulphur that can occur block ups of the oil channels and reduce lubricating. Mineral oil has lower viscosity index than Synthetic oil, which is bad
Mineral oil has a lower resistant against being too thin at high temperatures and being too thick at lowtemperatures than Synthetics oil types.
Heat of the oil is the main reason of problems with lubricating when working. Mineral is less working at a temp. above 121 ºC Synthetic at 204 ºC caused by engine friction and burning.
Mineral oil “burn of” Synthetic don’t .
Mineral oil has amounts of the so called “The VII’s” Viscocity Index Improvers” those molecules are 1000 times bigger than oil molecules. When working in the engine The VII,s buoyancy is different from the oil molecules and as a result they are now left on the bearing surfaces ! They don’t have a lubricated effect and therefore we finally have reduced this compared with a Synthetic oil which not have parts of “The VII,s”

Another bad effect of The VII’s: They are being broken down when passing the gearbox and the Clutch! That reduce the oils resistant against “High Temperature Viscocity”

The last point is: 75% of the wear of the engine comes from “Starts” When that is said it must be important that the oil runs quickly out to all the places where lubricating must be done ! How can a 20/50 mineral oil type at a outdoor temperature about 5-10 ºC do that ?

In my opinion according to the above facts,- the best choice must be a fully or semi synthetic MC oil type. All the advances of this oil compared to the mineral type talked for that !

All of you owners of GL1500 or GL1800 which oil type will you suggest/are you using? Could be interesting to hear from the vise panel out there and Jason too!

Best regards from
Jan Jensen
Denmark

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

You don't need fully synthetic on a Goldwing, fully synth is really only for racing bikes. The only advantage to fully syth in a Wing is that it doesn't absorb water, but for the extra expense of it you would be better off with good mineral oil changed regularly, or semi-synth at the most.

On an oldwing (GL1000, 1100, 1200) I would say stick with mineral oil in those engines.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

The Honda Certifed Technician here wholooks afterall the things which I will not attempt on my 1984 GL1200A, stresses that I use mineral oil. He states that semi-synthetic does not have the additive required for proper operation of the clutch. I can confirm that by dumping the Golden Spectro I had in there and switching back to the Honda 10W-40a difference was evident.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

All the people I know who put syntetic in their GL1200s and older wings all changed back to good mineral oil after a while. Commongrumbling points were even clunkyer shifting and clutch noise. Syntetic may be ok for new models but not it seems for the old timers.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

All of you owners of GL1500 or GL1800 which oil type will you suggest/are you using? Could be interesting to hear from the vise panel out there and Jason too!

I don't know about wise Jan! Oil is a real personal choice and a topic that usually gets run in circles. My (personal) opinion is that you don't need fully synthetic in any Goldwing, you only really need it in sports engines. The only advantage to synthetic is it's resistance to absorbing moisture and it's allegedly better life in your bikes gearbox (apparently the molecules don't crush as easily in gearboxes as mineral oil). A good Castrol oil changed regularly is a better bet unless you live in a high humidity environment, but if you decide to go the synthetic route then make sure you flush the old oil out of the engine first.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Hi Folks :waving:

I know that's a late reply to the old oil discussion, but here justsomething from my own experience. I changed frommineral tosemi synthetic oil. My GL1000 engine started leakingfrom different seals.Changed back to the old style mineral oil. Ran the engine until it warmed up anddrained the oil again. Withthe10W-40 it stopped dripping after a few minutes.Apparently the old seals coldn't handle the synthetic!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Ohboy... here we go again.:gunhead::headbanger:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

So is it best to use synthetic air in the tires, or should I use mineral air?:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

ubarw wrote:
So is it best to use synthetic air in the tires, or should I use mineral air?:goofygrin:
Use "Helium" it makes the bike lighter!:clapper:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I like the synthetic water in my radiator better than mineral water.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
I like the synthetic water in my radiator better than mineral water.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:
Plus it's "Wetter" !:goofygrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Used to mix my own oxygen and hydrogen to make my own water but then I found I could make water without it.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I found that my big ole plow tractor used to start better when I had a diesel battery under the hood.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

ubarw wrote:
Go with the "Good old boys" from NASCAR, use nitrogen, it doesn't expand as much as air.

Synthetic or mineral is up to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.