Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then I see 1500s with varying stages of "oil moss" on the outside of the timing covers (predominantly the left side). Inside the covers always seems to be clean and happy, and no apparent source for the oil deposition can be found.

About the only commonality is see on these bikes is that some of the bikes where belly-pans have been fitted seem to be worse than others...

My question is more of opinion rather than fact, but I would welcome either fact or opinion in response.

How much of this 'oil moss' is too much for you? What would you do about it?

For clarification, it'll take my '88 about 11Kmiles to get to this point (and one of the '93's will get here in about 5K):

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
That's new to me. I haven't seen that before. My 99 has 105k on it now and in 50k I haven't seen it on mine or 5 or 6 others I have worked on.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Stan
Are you parking them next to Harleys???????

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil Moss = Harley Herpes?

Nope, but I do ride with a lot of BMWs...

About 8-9 months of not washing and this stuff shows up. Looked first like a weepy camshaft seal, but that's all clean, dry, and clear (just like in Mr. Saunders' excellent photos...)

For all the world looks more like blown-up weeping from the waterpump and/or even the shifter seal (though it'd have a long way to go). :?

I see a bunch of these, even on a 2000 I had in recently (35K miles, last washed sometime in '07 maybe) ...

Don't make me think about the bad things ;)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...How much of this 'oil moss' is too much for you? What would you do about it? ...

That oil is not Moss, it's Preservative!

On my truck, I generally start removing it when it get's to be about 1/4" thick, at which point it takes a pressure washer and chisel to remove.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.