Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2005 GL1800 that I purchased new. I have changed the oil at 3000 mi increments using Honda HP4 oil. In my other motorcycles, I use Shell Rotella T. I am considering using this in my Gold Wing. I have about 10,000 miles on the Gold Wing and I am going to stock up on some oil. I'm considering using the Shell Rotella in the Gold Wing. I would appreciate any opinions on the matter.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

That is a popular oil with many people. I am quite sure it will be fine. We can argue about oil all day long, but the main thing is that any modern oil , changed in the frequency that you have been changing your oil and filter (3000 miles) will do fine.
The motor will outlast the rest of the bike. You can spend more money, for more expensive oils, but at a 3000 mile frequency change, I see no way to justify the very substantial expense of the more expensive oils.

Kit

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I am no expert, but from the service manual info it is apparent that the important thing with oil is using the correct viscosity relative to operating temperature, not how much it costs, so I agree with Kit.:)

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

i agreee with kit rotella is hard to beat

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

Nah, if you don't use Chevron's Delo 400, the engine will break in 45 miles :cheeky1:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Nah, if you don't use Chevron's Delo 400, the engine will break in 45 miles :cheeky1:
Had my brother's uncle tell me is was more like 44 miles.....

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
I think that would be within experimental error, don't you?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
sandiegobrass wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
I think that would be within experimental error, don't you?
Forgot about that... on a Goldwing odometer, (or Kit's GPS) that would be close enough..

and also a big welcome to banjoman!!!

Sorry banjoman... I guess is isn't nice to "pull the leg" of our newest member... so my apologies for the group... Oil is an interesting subject, but there is no one correct answer, so mostly you'll get evasive general answers from most of us.. We've picked our favorite oils, lbut that doesn't mean that that it is all time best.. just our opinion, for our individual application, etc.. Use the proper weight and API rating and you can't go wrong... in the meantime search for oils in the archives by name or whatever and you will get nearly as many opinions as there are oils.. good luck!!

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

SDB is right, sometimes we do get a bit carried away with our leg pulling, it is all meant in good part, however.

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!

To echo the words of somebody (I can't remember who), if you use a good oil and filter and change it on a regular schedule you won't go far wrong.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome Banjoman to the Forum!!!! :waving:

We hope you enjoy it here as much as we do! :cooldevil: Please add your location in your profile so that other Forum members in your area can meet you and ride!! :action:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the replies, "leg-pulling" and all. I don't have a lot of miles on the Gold Wing as most of the guys I ride with like to get off road at times, so most of my travels have been on a VStrom. I think I will use up the Honda oil and switch to the Rotella T.

This is a good forum for the Gold Wing riders. I look forward to participating in the future. Happy new year all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.