Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know I hate to bring up oil and plugs :gunhead:but I really need to know this is my first wing.The wing has 100.000 miles on it so what would be a good oil and should I use something like lucus in it ?what about the plugs standred or the other one?And any info that would be good for a bike like this,old and High miles.Also realistically what kind of compression should I get?.

Thanks!!

Scott

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

Oil is guaranteed to bring up a lot of ideas :)

Most will 2nd the opinion that a good grade of dino oil will do just fine.

Chevron's Delo 15w40 has a good reputation, it is what I use and a lot of others also. Shifting is very good with it, and the clutch action feels good.

Give both gas and oil a Sea Foam treatment a couple of times a year and it should give you very good service.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Just remember that your clutch is a oil friction set up so no oil with any friction additives or you will run into problems. I use the Wallmart brand 10/40 and have no issues with it. I buy the plugs at my honda dealer. Not sure what your compression would be as I have a 1500. Good luck and keep riding!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I went and got some sea foam and put it in the fuel and on top of a fresh oil changebut it does not say what to do then.Do I run it for awhile in the oil then change oil again or just leave it their? my wing takes 3.4 us qrts so do I put in the sea foam and top off with oil to the full mark or put in the oil to full and put that on top making it over full.

Thanks!!

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

would replace all with whats on the bike already. It has been road tested and proven.
I have switch to rotella but now they have 3 different types. I hate know wing what oil number codes to get. i used to pick up any old rotella and be happy but NOOO.
Now they have rotella heavy , rottella diesel..
ARRRRGH

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

scottmeier wrote:
I went and got some sea foam and put it in the fuel and on top of a fresh oil changebut it does not say what to do then.Do I run it for awhile in the oil then change oil again or just leave it there? my wing takes 3.4 us qrts so do I put in the sea foam and top off with oil to the full mark or put in the oil to full and put that on top making it over full.

Thanks!!

Scott
Scott,

The Sea Foam is a cleaner, not something to be used as a permanent oil additive. So, you want to put Sea Foam in the oil before a change. It will liquefy hardened deposits and dissolve them in the oil. The filter will catch what it can, but after a couple hundred miles, you should drain the oil and change the filter.

I'd think once a year would be enough. If your engine is in real good condition it may not need it at all. If on the other hand, it has sat up for a long time and not been run often, it is a good way to remove solids that have built up.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

OK thank you I will do just that I will change it again in 200 miles

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I second the ideas from Azgl1500. I do exactly what he mentioned withh Chevron oil and Seafoam treatments; the bike runs really well. I hope that gives you some confidence. Actually, I just turned 100,000 miles on my 1500 and it runs better than when I bought it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.