Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can someone give me some guidance on where to begin looking for the source of my oil leak. I have recently purchased a 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade. One of the problems with this bike is that oil pools aound all 4 plugs. There is more oil pooling on the right side than on the left. I haven't done anything to the bike yet. The manual that I have shows the lubrication pathway but this problem is not covered under troubleshooting. I would appreciate any advice.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

On my 1100 the only source of oil that could possibly cause pooling around the spark plugs would be from the valve covers. You an take them off and apply a small bead of silicone on the gasket and re-seat them. Check the gaskets for cracks or flat spots but you should be able to re-use them if they are in good shape. DON"T over tighten them! They should only be snug (6-10ft. lbs. I think) or they could distort the cover and leak!

Bob :11grey:

P.S. Welcome to the forum gbrink! :waving:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I second the valve cover idea, but I'm not too sure how oil could leak upward. The valve covers aren't holding back preasure oil, so...

I seem to recall that there are some external oil pathways on top of the crankshaft area of the engine. They are small, about 1/4 inch OD. (This is all from memor, so the details may be off a bit.) I would pull off the front fairing, and then start the bike, after draining out all of the oil that has puddled. (BTW, there should be drain holes out of the bottom of the plug wells. Mane sure these aren't clogged) Then it is a simple matter of waiting to see where the black shows up.

I have never heard of this problem before, so I can't just give you a "Go look at this" answer, but just follow a logical progression, and you'll be able to find out where it's coming from.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

gbrink,
Welcome to the forum!
Be sure the heads are clean where the spark plug gasket seals against the head.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the feedback. I think this is a wonderful website. I am not sure what you are referring to when you say valve cover. Are you talking about the cylinder head cover?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

No the problem is not gas and dirt. There are holes at the base of each spark plug. This is where the oil is coming from. Is there some kind of relief valvethat is letting oil come back to the plugs? I applied air pressure to the holes and nothing came out.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Yes the cylinder head cover is the valve cover. The holes at the base of the spark plugs are drain holes. They are supposed to let water drain out from around the spark plugs when it rains or you wash the bike.You should not be getting oil coming UP through the holes! Try cleaning out the holes with a small wire and compressed air (if you have it) to see ifyou can get them todrain.

I'm not familiar enough with the 1200 heads to make a good guess as to why oil would be coming up through the holes. A blown gasket is all I can think of.

Maybe someone who has had a similar problemwill come along.

Bob:11grey:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the info on the drain holes. I applied air pressure but no air came out. I am wondering if the previous owner may havereplaced a gasket and blocked off some of the ports.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

File this under "Buyer Beware'. After further checking the drain holes, I found that the previous owner had filled the bottom of the holes with JB weld. This prevented the oil from draining onto the exhaust pipes and thereby disguising the fact that both heads are cracked.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear that gbrink :X. I hate people like that. One of the heads on my Crown Victoria was cracked on the water passage when I bought it . The guy I bought it from never said a word about it.He had patched it with JBWeld. Cost me a bundle (new head) to repair it the right way when it started leaking again.

I don't think replacing the heads is very difficult. It's pretty simple on my 83 1100. The cost of new heads might be something else though. You could check ebay out for some heads. Lots of board members have very good luck on ebay for parts for their wings.

Make sure you double or even triple check your timing when re-assembling. Turn the engine over a couple of revolutions with a wrench on the crank before you put the plugs in. Listen and feel for any binding or metal-to-metal sounds like valves and pistons coming together.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I appreciate the advice AZ. I am searching the net right now to try and find the new heads. Any opinion on buying used heads?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

gbrink wrote:
I appreciate the advice AZ. I am searching the net right now to try and find the new heads. Any opinion on buying used heads?
Shouldn't be too much problem buying used heads. A lot of good running bikes are being parted out because you can get more money parting than selling. eBay has heads off and on. If you can get good pictures and the guy has plenty of good feedback it shouldn't be too much of a risk. I hope your previous owner didn't pull any other s**t like that. Do both sides leak oil? It's hard to see how two heads could develop the same crack. Is it possible the oil is leaking out of the right side and running over to the left? It might be worth cleaning up the engine real well and seeing if you can find the actual leak or crack. It would be a real pain to get two new heads and still have the leak. If worst comes to worst there are used engines available from bike salvage firms and on eBay, usually go fairly cheaply.

Check out these guys: http://www.damagedbikes.com/goldwing.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.