Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I noticed the other day that there was oil seeping from the area on the engine block where the oil pressure sending unit screws in. I took it out and cleaned it up. I noticed that it didn't have a gasket underneath it. I called the local Honda shop and was told there isn't supposed to be one there. I look up the part on the Honda parts page and it sorta shows an o-ring associated with the sending unit.

Is it supposed to have an o-ring or not? If so, does it go on the base of the unit right above the screw threads?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

longrider wrote:
I noticed the other day that there was oil seeping from the area on the engine block where the oil pressure sending unit screws in. I took it out and cleaned it up. I noticed that it didn't have a gasket underneath it. I called the local Honda shop and was told there isn't supposed to be one there. I look up the part on the Honda parts page and it sorta shows an o-ring associated with the sending unit.

Is it supposed to have an o-ring or not? If so, does it go on the base of the unit right above the screw threads?
longrider, to give you a valid answer we are going to need to know what bike you are working with?

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Twisty is right... What are you working on? Some of the sending units have an "o"ring and some a flat gasket and some a pipe thread.

Obviously you need the "O" ring and gasket, but if it has a pipe thread, clean the threads and apply a small amount of pipe dope or some sort of thread sealer that does not harden and re-install the sending unit. Torque it to specs and run the engine.. Look for leaks.. It is possible the unit is cracked in the porcelin insert. If it is, it must be replaced...

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Oops, sorry about that omission. 1980 GL1100 standard.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Mine doesn't have an O ring. I know because my switch failed and I fitted a new one. I just put a couple of wraps of PTFE tape around the threads and never had a leak.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks All.

Sounds like the consensus is that I should get a new sending unit, and put some ptfe tape on the threads. I'll do that soon.

I still wonder why Honda shows an o-ring associated with this device. Anybody have an answer for that?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Type-o...

OR.... a bug landed on the paper during the print page and too many copies rolled off the press like that before someone caught it.. LOL :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.