Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Something new to play with. :waving:On my trip I noticed the oil light wasn't coming on. No problem, I think. New bulb time. Today I went in and the bulb is good.

The Honda manual shows the sending unit is easy to get to but I don't understand their test proceedure. Can't I just jump to ground, and if the light comes on the sending unit is bad? :?

Also, the fish shows the oil switch as #18 but on my bike, it looks a lot more like #19. Which is, of course, unavailable.

This is an easy one, huh? :clapper:



http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=146678&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1987&fveh=3449
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
imported post

Oil pressure switch is directly behind the fuel pump, looking from the right side.

Pry off the rubber cover and disconnect the wires from the oil pressure switch. Turn the ignition switch on, and ground the wire terminal to a body ground. The warning indicator will come on if the system is normal. If not, inspect for faulty or loose connections at the bulb.
If the warning light is on while the engine is running, and the test above shows the system and the oil pressure are normal, replace the oil pressure switch.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
imported post

The Honda manual shows the sending unit is easy to get to but I don't understand their test proceedure. Can't I just jump to ground, and if the light comes on the sending unit is bad?


That sounds correct
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Tricky,

I have the manual but I don't understand what they are saying.

Do they mean I should ground the hot wire? Then, if I get the light to work, does that mean the sending unit is dead?

And can anybody help with the fiche confusion?

I do hate electrical things! :X
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
imported post

Remove the nut that secures the wire on the sending unit and hold it to ground.
The fiche could be showing the 85 ltd or SEI they are confusing.
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Update time.

I did the wire jump thing and the light came on, telling me the system was fine from the sending unit to the bulb. Logical conclusion, as per the manual, is the switch is bad.

I ordered a new switch. Then decided to put the thing back together so I could ride while waiting for the part.

Everything, including the sending unit, is working fine now so I un-ordered the new switch.

The moral of this story? Hell, I don't know! :action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,791 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Update time.

I did the wire jump thing and the light came on, telling me the system was fine from the sending unit to the bulb. Logical conclusion, as per the manual, is the switch is bad.

I ordered a new switch. Then decided to put the thing back together so I could ride while waiting for the part.

Everything, including the sending unit, is working fine now so I un-ordered the new switch.

The moral of this story? Hell, I don't know! :action:
Gawd, you just gotta' love them 1200's... :gunhead:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

It might have been a good idea to get that switch. Just fiddling around on a dying switch might make it work for awhile longer. If the connection was loose and or dirty I'd think the switch was okay but if the connection was snug and no corrosion or dirt apparent it might be you have an intermittant switch.
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

exavid wrote:
It might have been a good idea to get that switch. Just fiddling around on a dying switch might make it work for awhile longer. If the connection was loose and or dirty I'd think the switch was okay but if the connection was snug and no corrosion or dirt apparent it might be you have an intermittant switch.
You're a "glass half empty" kinda guy, huh? ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
743 Posts
imported post

mine was leaking so i took it out to order a new one , during the errends i was running with the wife i dropped it some where .never ordered a new one just bought a mech. guage
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
You're a "glass half empty" kinda guy, huh? ;)
I'm the kinda guy who thinks if something acts up once and self cures, it's a warning.:cooldevil:
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

exavid wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
You're a "glass half empty" kinda guy, huh? ;)
I'm the kinda guy who thinks if something acts up once and self cures, it's a warning.:cooldevil:
If it was something that could potentially leave me sitting, I would probably change it out. At this point, if I mess with it, it may become a pesky oil leak. And if I don't find a cure for my carbs it may be a mute point anyway.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top