Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Long story short, 85 GL1200 engine experienced a backlash, broke the starter chain, had that replaced and after 100 miles lost oil pressure. Pulled the engine and removed the rear cover and found the pump shaft sprocket had sheared off. Unbolted the sump pump housing and it fell apart. Found the rotors on the backside of that had shattered.

Can anyone tell me how that shaft comes out? Front to back or back to front and if it requires the cases split?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have Honda's, Haynes and Clymers all detail removing and reinstalling the pumps. Nothing on replacing the shaft.

Cheers!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The shaft pulls out from the front of the engine after you remove the front cover. Normally it's done by removing the nut on the sprocket and then pulling the shaft forward after you remove the oil pump cover. Or somethign pretty much like that, I had to change that shaft in an 1100 that had sheared off the front end of the shaft that drives the water pump. Never did find out why the thing sheared off.

You'll need a new (or used shaft) and a gasket set for the front and rear covers. The engine has to come out of the bike but it's not a difficult job. If you don't have one try to get hold of a bike jack. With the bike on the centerstand you can use a bike jack to winkle the engine out of the frame and get it back in. The jack makes the job a simple one man job.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi exavid,

Thanks thats exactly what I needed to know. I was able to get a main pump, sump pump and shaft from Whiteys Classic Wings for 20 bucks.

I have the engine out already I used a table lift. Works pretty well for getting the motor out and lifts up high enough to work on comfortably.

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.