Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I don't want to start the oil topic but I have a question.
I have a Honda Valkyrie F6C from 2014. mileage of 2000 miles and I want to pour into the AMSoil MCT 10W30 engine. I have a question, did any of you use this oil and how many kilometers did you use this oil?
I read in this forum, one person in this oil had to rebuild the gearbox. So I don't know if this oil is suitable. I can buy Motul 300V 10w40 at my price in Poland.
Thank you for your reply and best regards from Poland.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Motul is all my St1100 ever had in it was near 200 k when I sold it,no issues
i don’t use it in the 1500 because of the price.

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
the oil you have on hand is just fine.
the engine does not care, it just needs something slippery and can handle the torque.
as long as the oil is JASO certified, meaning "No Friction Modifiers" it is fine.
the bottom half of the circle on the back will be blank.

for myself, I have even seen a can of oil with the brand name Motul on it.

as for how many miles/km to run it?
if non-synthetic, the usual response is 3,000 to 4,000 miles.

if Synthetic, then one year between changes, which is what I do as I am using Rotella T6 in 5w40 which for the 1800s, is just about perfect giving very smooth shifts.

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
In my car and truck, both on full Synthetic, I go one year and roughly 12,000 to 15,000 miles.

I have sent in Oil Samples to Blackstone Laboratories, and they report that all is fine, keep doing it again.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
My last 1500 at 232K miles had drive drive splines strip out. The engine still ran fine, but the turn signal switch needed replacing, the fairing had stress cracks by the mounting screws in front, and the engine would quit running at the first hint of rain. Hard to justify spending money on a bike you might have to just give away. I like the Delo 400 oil. Change oil and filter regularly, and the engine will run fine as long as you can keep up with the other repairs.
gumbyred

·
Registered
86 Posts
The truth is, even conventional oil made by a main stream manufacturer is good. The Goldwing is a very under stressed Vehicle. People don't usually take it up to redline, banging out clutchless shifts! Probably wouldn't matter if they did. But, if you change your oil and filter fairly regularly, don't overheat the engine, you're going to be fine.
Amsoil from what I can see, is some of the best oil in the world. It is an Ester based Group 5 synthetic. The best. Take a look at what your oil is made from, there are 3 types of synthetics, those made from Conventional oil, or "hydrocracked". It is a more less a refined conventional oil. It took a big manufacturer winning a court case that allowed the Makers to call conventional oil "Synthetic Oil!" Next in line is PAO synthetic base stock oil. Very good oil, 100% synthetic. But even better, is the Ester based oils. If a maker claims it is from Ester Base stock, you know it is the best. When a Maker uses Ester, they let you know about it, because it is so expensive to do so! Both the Motul and Amsoil are Ester based oils. Not ALL Motul, but the one you mentioned.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Trouble with the Hondas is that the oil is for gearbox as well as engine and the shear forces(i think) that the gears subject the oil to degrades it relatively quickly hence the frequent, compared to car engine, changes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just don't know if AMSOIL 10w30 is on ESTRY plus PAO bases. I wonder why Honda recommends 10W30 instead of 10W40 in my model. It seems to me that the design of the engine is the same as in older models.
In addition, Motul 300V 10w40 is for racing motorbikes and I don't know if Goldwing will be ok.

·
Administrator
25,355 Posts
I just don't know if AMSOIL 10w30 is on ESTRY plus PAO bases. I wonder why Honda recommends 10W30 instead of 10W40 in my model. It seems to me that the design of the engine is the same as in older models.
In addition, Motul 300V 10w40 is for racing motorbikes and I don't know if Goldwing will be ok.
Closer tolerances, better machining processes allow use of lighter oils.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts