Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Clymer recommends cleaning the oil screen - has anyone done it? Are the gaskets/etc available?

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

You can clean the inside by turning the little screw in the middle of the screen. A little wiper on the inside wipes the crud off the screen. It's still hard to see the oile level even after cleaning, that sight glass was a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Heffo wrote:
You can clean the inside by turning the little screw in the middle of the screen. A little wiper on the inside wipes the crud off the screen. It's still hard to see the oile level even after cleaning, that sight glass was a bad idea.

I think he means the screen inside the engine that traps large particles, not the oil-level sight glass.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

axelwik wrote:
Heffo wrote:

I think he means the screen inside the engine that traps large particles, not the oil-level sight glass.
Yes, the screen inside the engine - anyone clean this screen? Is it necessary?

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

You only need the one gasket part #91303-371-000. If you decide to buy a new screen strainerfor some reason, the part # is 15152-371-000.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The screen will only get gummed up from not changing the oil regularly, then the oil pump won't be able to work. The best way to clean the screen after removing it is to leave it soaking in cellulose thinners overnight. All the gunked up oil will be dissolved in a few hours.
Using engine flush in the engine helps dissolve the gunk as well, but most peope don't like using flush on old Wing engines.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You only need the one gasket part #91303-371-000. If you decide to buy a new screen strainerfor some reason, the part # is 15152-371-000.
Been looking for the o-ring (part number 91303-371-000) for a while now, seems like most places either dont have them in stock or charge high prices for shipping. Any suggestions?

Cheapest I can find it is 12.71$ on http://www.dgy.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Honda/GL1000_A_(76)_MOTORCYCLE,_JPN,_VIN#_GL1-2001483_TO_GL1-2032613/CYLINDER_BLOCK_+_BREATHER_CHAMBER/GL1000-76-JPN-A/2Y133710E13371011B

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
When I cleaned mine, I just removed the little cover (8 mm heads I think), and the molded o-ring jusst stayed in the machined grove in the cover. I reused it.

After pulling the screen out, you can pour a qt of oil in the engine through the oil fill and get a good rinse out of the bottom of the crankcase, then replace the screen and cover.

The spread of the lower right frame rail was easy, after loosening the adjacent engine mounting reatiners. Held mine opne with a small block of wood. At 65K miles, mine was clean, but at 30+ years, it depends on how much clutch slipping occured to this point and how many oil maintenance services were performed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.