Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I think that the leak is coming from the rearend trough the drive shaft assembley, is that possible? also can I remove the whole swing bar assembley with wheel and all? thanks mike

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

If the seal on the drive shaft at the final drive unit is leaking, it's possible for the oil to travel up the shaft area and leak out of the rubber boot. If that's your problem, the repair requires removing the final drive unit (not the swingarm). It's not especially hard to do, just requires some patience to get the drive shaft and u joint back togather when reinstalling the final drive. A search on final drive oil leaks should provide enough info to allow you to replace the seal.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
imported post

The seal is commonly available from the dealer for about $10.

Just the rear wheel and the final drive needs to be removed. The drive shaft will pull out from the swing arm with the final drive. You would then need to pull the shaft from the final drive and the seal will come out with the shaft. Installation is just the reverse with a little lube on the seal edges.

While you have it apart, it would be a good time to grease the drive splines and final drive splines.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Maybe it is the seal, but also double check your oil level... I've found that when oil leaks at this rear seal it is very sensitive to over-filling..

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

just a tid bit here--all oil levels are check with bike on center stand !
if its 80-90 rear lube -- its rear dive seal---if its engine oil --its rear main shaft out put shaft seal . ( the one that the u-joint slides on to ) just my tid bit.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Many thanks to all that replyed....at last we are getting nice riding weather and my wing is broken...my weekend will be filled with wrenching. mike

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,277 Posts
imported post

linmik1948 wrote:
Many thanks to all that replyed....at last we are getting nice riding weather and my wing is broken...my weekend will be filled with wrenching. mike
If it's not running out, wait for winter to fix it. Just keep up on cleaning the area. No problem.

This will let you determing where the oil is coming from too. If it's the rear engine/output shaft seal, it will smell like engine oil. If it's the final drive, it wiil smell like grease.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

gear oil(smelly) is leaking or engine oil?(not smelly)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.