Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI,another question ,is the oil seal in the casing where the gear lever is much of ajob to remove & replace with a new one ,on a 1200 aspencade 1985 it seems to be weeping just a bit.i don't knowwhether to leave it till it gets worse or replace it now,if it is not to difficult imay have a go..bikerfred

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Bikerfred I think all you have to do is remove gear change lever ease old seal out and replace push in new seal replace gear lever. Iam sure one of the experts will put you right if iam wrong.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

Bikerfred

I just changed the shifter seal but the engine is out of the frame. It was very easy to get a small hook into it and pull it out, I think that you should be able to do this with the engine installed. the seal is a metric seal # 14x28x7 this is the size the Honda # is H 91206-286-013

Paul

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I changed on on my 1200, took off the shift lever, made me a hook out of a piece of small welding rod and pulled the old seal out. You just press the new seal in. Cover the splines on the shaft with a bit of tape so the lips on the new seal don't get cut, greas the shaft with a light wipe of moly grease to protect the seal. A trace of moly in your oil isn't going to be enough to bother the clutch, but it will go a long way to make the seal last.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Does the oil need to be drained before pulling the seal out?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

BobbyW wrote:
Might be a good idea, I did mine during an oil change while the oil was out.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

BobbyW wrote:
No, you can do it with the oil in. In fact I didn't lose any oil at all when I did mine.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

HI Shrek,snr & all you other guys that answered my queary on gear change oil seal,i will definightly have a go next week.:action:bikerfred

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

HI Ben,thanks for info i will try to do job next week.Ben not a Goldwing subject,but do you know of a place called Chelmsford i think it's about 30 miles from Boston,i have a sister used to live there,i have'nt contacted her in over 20 years.bikerfred

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

I picked up one these seals today for my '81 GL1100from my local Honda dealer. He had it on the shelf. $2.99USD

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

BobbyW wrote:
I picked up one these seals today for my '81 GL1100from my local Honda dealer. He had it on the shelf. $2.99USD
You ought to take a picture of it along with the receipt, that's gotta be a record for a bike part from a Honda dealer!:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Thats kinda what I told the parts guy. I said I can't believe there is a part for $2.99. He was laughing too.

We then looked up the price for a single front brake piston. $79.00USD. I told him I would just find a salvaged one.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
imported post

Gotta love this board! My wing has been doing a harley imitation on the garage floor and I saw it was the shifter seal. Came here to ask about it and the answer was already waiting for me before I could ask. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Yeah and it only costs $2.99 to fix!:)
I think there should be a "parts exchange" here on the board. When someone comes upon a deal like this, it's imperative that they buy more than one and share the find! What say ye?

And this is to say nothing of the deals that those of us in the US/Canada could pass on to those across the pond - and vice-versa!

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
exavid wrote:
Yeah and it only costs $2.99 to fix!:)
I think there should be a "parts exchange" here on the board. When someone comes upon a deal like this, it's imperative that they buy more than one and share the find! What say ye?

And this is to say nothing of the deals that those of us in the US/Canada could pass on to those across the pond - and vice-versa!

Post it on the "breakers" thread. Thats a good thread for putting in parts suppliers details. :waving:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.