Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As you can tell, I am new to the Wings so I will have many questions. I had a 79 wing for about a year but sold it for financila reasons. I recently purchased an 84 Asp with 14,101 miles on it.

I would like to ask foropinions on running synthetic oil inmy engine. Is there any harms / benifits to doing this?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

csanders67217 wrote:
As you can tell, I am new to the Wings so I will have many questions. I had a 79 wing for about a year but sold it for financila reasons. I recently purchased an 84 Asp with 14,101 miles on it.

I would like to ask foropinions on running synthetic oil inmy engine. Is there any harms / benifits to doing this?
Welcome to the forum.

Go to the top of the page and do a search for, "oil type" or "synthetic" and you'll get a plethora of opinions. My advice: change it often... that's all I'll say.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Marco's right, every motorcycle in the world is full of discussion about oil and tires. Of course there's never any single answer so search as Marco said, toss a coin, consult a chicken's innards or whatever, but do use oil of some kind. So far we haven't had anyone vouch for olive oil or oil of olay!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

The general opinion is that synthetic is not the best bet for old Wings, makes the gearbox clunkier and engine noisier. By the way, welcome to the forum csanders67217.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Marco's right, every motorcycle in the world is full of discussion about oil and tires. Of course there's never any single answer so search as Marco said, toss a coin, consult a chicken's innards or whatever, but do use oil of some kind. So far we haven't had anyone vouch for olive oil or oil of olay!:cheeky1:

But Oil of Olay makes the engine feel so much smoother.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

csanders67217 wrote:

csanders67217, no harm from synthetic oil's that anybody has ever been able to prove. Benefit?, possibly.

There areabout 4 categories that synthetics usually excel in.

1)-Additive packages- because of the premium price & extended oil change intervals usually associated with synthetics they CAN (not all do though) contain a better more stable additive package.

2)-Better controlled moresolidbase oil stock with few if any long chain polymers that can break down to heat or oil shearing.

3)-Most have a higher VI index so they remain closer to proper viscosity as they heat up in use.

4)-Most synthetics are way superior to mineral oils in the HT/HS department so oil shearing due to being used as transmission oil also is much reduced.

What benifit if any in the above...

1)-additive packages are not a big deal in the old Wings as they are very seldom used in sub-freezing weatheror to pull a trailer. One additive that could be a problem if added in a high enough concentration could be molybdenum. That could cause clutch slipping if enough is present. That isn't just a synthetic problem though as Dino oils with an energy rating could also contain molly.

2)-a good thing to have but no big deal.. The Shearing part being better sure helpson internal transmission applications though.

3)-not a big deal on the water cooled Wings, a good strong base VI could help hot engine valve noise a little though.

4)-In my opinion this is the big gain in some synthetic oil's. Due to the engine oil also being used in the internaltransmission theoil tends to shear & degrade in a hurry in the older Wings. In some oil tests recently run, some tested Dino 10W40 oils became as low as 10W20 in as few as 800 miles due to oil sharing.Some synthetics tested at the same time retained over 80% of their base viscosity even after 2500 miles of use.

Here's the bottom line-- (at least in my personal opinion)

Any oil that meets the Honda requirements will operate good for a while. The question is how long is a while? If you change oil & filter every 1000 miles then anything will work good. If you extend to 2000-3000 miles plus then maybe a good synthetic would be a good investment.

Here's something to keep in mind. Due to government rulings a few year ago almost any oil can be called asynthetic so do your homework before paying big money for something called SYNTHETIC or semi-synthetic. Some oils are a pure synthetic & others like the popular Rotella T synthetic are just a highly refined group 3 oil that meets a base requirement to be called synthetic. True synthetic oil is expensive to manufacture so if it'svastly cheaper than the others in it's class it is probably a group 3 & not a true PAO synthetic.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Twisty,

I didn't know that Rotella T was highly refined dino oil. Veddy interesting. My Wing seems to like it. I change it between 3-4000 miles. I rode my wing in some 30deg F. weather this winter and never had a problem with the starter/starting.

One nice thing about this board is the knowledgeable(I used spell check on this one:?)folks that frequent here.:clapper::waving:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Twisty,

I didn't know that Rotella T was highly refined dino oil. Veddy interesting. My Wing seems to like it. I change it between 3-4000 miles. I rode my wing in some 30deg F. weather this winter and never had a problem with the starter/starting.

One nice thing about this board is the knowledgeable(I used spell check on this one:?)folks that frequent here.:clapper::waving:
Hobie, as far as I can tell using the available oil spec data the Rotella T (blue jug) is a group 3 oil (highly refined Dino). That is not necessarily bad as there are some mighty good group 3 synthetics out there. Based on the available specs the Rotella T is a good diesel spec oil & should work fine in the old Wings. It's HT/HT isn't quite as good asmost true PAO synthetics & it's VI isn't quite as good but it's specs sure are a lot better thanHonda specoils.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I need a bit of advice on which oil weight to use.

I am going to run a full synthetic in my bike. I was looking around and cannot decide on which weight to use.

Castrol Syntec 10W30 or I found Mobile 1 in 15W50

Would the thicker 15W be better for the extremely hot weather here in Kansas or should I go with the 10W?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

csanders67217 wrote:
I need a bit of advice on which oil weight to use.

I am going to run a full synthetic in my bike. I was looking around and cannot decide on which weight to use.

Castrol Syntec 10W30 or I found Mobile 1 in 15W50

Would the thicker 15W be better for the extremely hot weather here in Kansas or should I go with the 10W?
Chris, in a multi-weight oil the first number isn't a real oil weight, it is more a guide number on cold flowability. The second number (30 or 50 in your case) is the hot viscosity equivalent. Basically what that means is: a 10W30 oil wouldn't thin out any more than a straight 30 weight oil would at 100°c (212°f). That last number of multiweight oil is the kinematic viscosity at 100°c.

Obviously the first number is meaningful at very low start-up temperatures (like,- at or below freezing). For a motorcycle, that first number isn't a big deal unless you ride at very low ambient temperatures.

The second number (in your case 30W or 50W) is the oil's viscosity at running temperature (or close anyhow).

Because synthetic oil's use less (or nonein some cases) viscosity improving polymers they can have a higher first number & still perform great at low temps. (one of the big advantages tofull synthetic oil's).

OK, now on your question? For very hot ambient temperature use (like you are asking about) the 50 weight would be much better than the 30 weight. The first number doesn't mean much for your usage.

That 10W30 will be pretty thin for hot weather operation so the 15W50 would be a better choice.

While I won't outright recommend an oil for you, that Mobil 1 (15W50) would work quite well for your usage & climate & will still allow protected start-up down to well below freezing. That Mobil 1 is a PAO basedsynthetic with a great HT/HSratingso has a lot to offer in a motorcycle usage environment (translated means-- The oil will hold it's hot viscosity for way more miles than most other oil's)

Twisty

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

csanders67217,

I use Mobile 1 15/50wt here in the Desert South West. I have not had any clutch issues. Shifts smoother anduses less oil than when I was running dino oil.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thnaks Twisty and AZWinger!!!

Looks like I will be running the Mobile 1 15W50.

It is nice to know that i cna get my questions answered in a timely manner. I am so happy that I found this site. I was on another before I found this one, but this one seems to be the best for getting answers to your questions.

Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I use Castrol 20W50 here in the heat of Texas, I change it very often,...I have used it is all my motors foryears and years. I know the synthetic last longer, my theory is leave any oil in longer and the dirt is circulated longer too, wearing down the engine. I have nothing against synthetic except the price. I think frequency of oil and filter changes are the most important.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Can't argue with Dean on that, change it often, more important if the bike sits for extended periods.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I still change my oil about every 3000 miles. Never more than 5000. Costs a little more but I feel better.

Bob :11grey:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
I still change my oil about every 3000 miles. Never more than 5000. Costs a little more but I feel better.

Bob
Ditto, I'll go 4-5k in the summer when I'm riding alot and drop it down to 2-3k in the winter depending on use. It's sitting around with dirty oil in the engine I don't like. Personally I believe most of the damage gets done with the engine not running, corrosion, pitting, etching and all that.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
imported post

I change my oil and filter at 2k to 2.5k and think it's a good idea on a 28 year old bike.

....I used to use Castrol 10/40, but found that Valvoline retains better vescosity after 2000 miles. On my SuperSport, the couple time I ran it to 3000 miles between oil changes, the transmission shifted much better with the Valvoline.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Just changed the oil to Castrol GTX general (non-motorcycle) oil after reading an interesting article from Motorcycle Consumer News 1994 which was based on scientific comparison data.I'm sure lots of people have seen this article, but it helped make up my mind. So far the bike loves this oil, and seems happy to get the synthetic blend Motul 5100 outta there..http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.