Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:

Here is an idea for you BB, run which ever tires and oil you wish and rub it where you wish, Like I said we do not have to agree, I run Dunlops for my reasons and Castrol 20W50 for my reasons. No amount of research and data can ever change my mind. Just put in new Castrol today.:)
The only surprise to me is you think I have some kinda opposing view to you, which is really strange, everyone is and should be free to make whatever choice they want be it tyres Oil or whatever, I was voicing my thoughts on whether Oil choice could be a subjective thing, I take others points that people can feel it makes their engine quieter, or ticks over better and that is a subjective choice. However it does not change the actual mechanics and chemistry of what is going on inside the engine.

BB

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
Hey... let's talk about motorcycles!
AMEN, AMEN, AMEN

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Black Bart wrote:
The only surprise to me is you think I have some kinda opposing view to you, which is really strange, everyone is and should be free to make whatever choice they want be it tyres Oil or whatever, I was voicing my thoughts on whether Oil choice could be a subjective thing, I take others points that people can feel it makes their engine quieter, or ticks over better and that is a subjective choice. However it does not change the actual mechanics and chemistry of what is going on inside the engine.

BB
I think the only opposing view is some want to data the oil to death and some want to go with true world experiences. At any rate, I have no hard feelings about any of it BB, I am most concerned about getting to ride, It is almost 6:30am and time to make a run before the temperature gets in the 100 degree range. Last week 2 deer jumped a fence and ran right in front of me, today I hope to avoid such excitement. Lets all check the oil and ride.:)

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
make a run before the temperature gets in the 100 degree range. :)
Ain't it the truth.....even though the weather man says it's 97 here, all the theromometers around here (and on my porch) say it's 105. No tellin' what it is on the freeway.

I whole heartedly believe that researches working for this company or that, or that work for this organization to that, make the data look in favor of the company or to the viewpoint of the particular organization.

One thing I like about my Wing is putting big tools in the trunk and using to do jobs I'd ordinarily be using my truck for.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Black Bart wrote:
I was voicing my thoughts on whether Oil choice could be a subjective thing, I take others points that people can feel it makes their engine quieter, or ticks over better and that is a subjective choice. However it does not change the actual mechanics and chemistry of what is going on inside the engine.

BB
Agreed BB, I raise a pint to you!:toast:

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Hi Mr1200- Are the Mobil1 and Rotella oils for motorcycles or is it the ordinary automotive oil? I've heard horror stories about ill effects on the wet clutch using automotive oils. Being new to the forum, I would appreciate your input on this. BTW- Isn't riding in CA great! If you want some nice twisties, you should come visit me in the Kern River Valley, Lake Isabella area. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
imported post

Mtnpastor, from what I have gathered reading this forum the only oils that might give problems with the clutch are the ones that are "energy rated". Those contain a lot of "moly" which may possibly cause a clutch to slip. If you steer clear of those you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I run Delo 400. Works great for me. I was running Golden Spectro, and just got too expensive. Delo is a darned good oil. Seen million mile+ Cat engines, running Delo 400. And still clean inside. They usually end up pulling rod out of piston, after high miles. Or, get over-reved going down long grades. Hurts them bad!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Hello again Bob- You really do get around on Steve's forums, don't you. How often do you change it? Thanks again for the great information.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

3-4k, on bikes. Over a year now, on my old parts runner (82Toronado Diesel) Probably otta change it, I suppose. LOL. My pickup, about every 6 mos. Don't drive that gas hog much. I don't think I have 1000 miles on it this year, so far. Only 70k ttl.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
imported post

(he he he)Agh OIL IS OIL,Crisco, Oliv OIL , Just put in what ever & and cange it often. ( he he he ) Just kidding guys!I've been using Golden Spectro In my GL1200 for 18 yrs , Now my GL15 00 same thing But since myjob usesAmsoll And gets it at a realy good price Im going to changein the spring .:15white:

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Golden Spectro is expensive. I know a guy who sells Amsoil and I can get it for $4.75 a quart by the case. He claims that I can go 10,000 miles before a change, but with the wet clutch and tranny bathed in the same oil as the engine, I don't think that's a good idea. I think I'll go with one of the heavy duty oils the other guys have suggested and change it every 3,000 since I do a lot of highway riding. I also appreciate knowing that the energy efficient oils have a high moly content which could result in clutch slippage. THANKS EVERYBODY!

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

Hey AZ

How are u. I ordered my air wings couple of days ago, and cant wait to get them installed. I think they will make a big diff. will let u know how they work. By the way I read this thread in my search for oil. You use mobil 1? I am not sure which one to get. Let me know

Joe

86 GL1200 I

Gilbert Az.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.