Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i bought this 1990 gl 1500 last month, i checked the oil color and it looked new, but i didnt pay any attention to the level.

Then i read some threads about overfilled oil causing poor mpg, so i checked it...

After removing A QUART AND A HALF, the dipstick is still at the TOP, not the middle witness line (both hot and cold)

Could it really be overfilled by this much?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2 quarts now and no change in oil level. Its on center stand, and im not screwing in to the dip stick

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After almost 2.5 quarts drained, the level is where it should be. I know not to screw dipstick in..im guessing they filled it on the side stand, and used the top of the indicator for full instead of the middle line. Ill let you know what happens (if anything) on the mpg

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Maybe someone removed the vacuum fuel shut off valve, and put a length of hose just to test it out, and didn`t replace the valve? Either that or the fuel shut off valve is still leaking.
gumbyred

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe someone removed the vacuum fuel shut off valve, and put a length of hose just to test it out, and didn`t replace the valve? Either that or the fuel shut off valve is still leaking.
gumbyred
I checked the fuel shut off valve diaphragm...it holds suction and is still in place. Prob a car issue. I get some consolation from the fact that the gas smell is very faint

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually it does smell a little like gas
Most oil drained from an engine sump will smell a little like gas. If there is gas in the oil, it will have a very strong smell of gasoline.
Thats encouraging...i had to smell, smell and smell again to decide whether or not i was smelling gas. And even then it was not very strong

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Some inexpensive -but well loved on here- oil, Chevron made DELO 15-40 DIESEL oil, 12-13 bucks for 1 GALLON at wallys or oriellys

Ive read the 1500 takes less than the full 4 at change??? to be careful- after 3 qts add half of last one, run the engine a few minutes,
let engine sit Off for 2 minutes then ck with dipstick... as you are correctly doing it- cap sitting on top of threads.
Top off to indicated full.
^^^^ On the centerstand, level ground, tire pressures correct... was understood, right?

Take the gas cap off the bike and ck its air vent. Soak it overnight in seafoam then gently blow compressed air thru the vent

Gurus!!!! Can he poke something thru that vent? what where. whats that -try search? thanks

Ck the coolant res tank is correct at cold level, and the rad is topped up to its cap,
(some have problem with coolant leak from hose into res tank, and cking for hint of coolant leak into the oil now)

Tip: Do not fill gas tank above the bottom of the indicator tab- none in the funnel at all.

Do you have a Ca model- 50 State with the evap cannister system?

Thought! Are the hose clamps good on fuel filter, and the fuel line condition from filter to pump under seat? its a short piece of line if you want to replace.
I dont trust 20 year old clamps after several re-usings. Paranoia and/or safety conscious clamps and rubber hose are cheap

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
overfill

AZgl1800 is right on the money. Do exactly as he says. Do not panic until you have a reason to.

I think your right about the previous owner filling the crankcase with the bike on the sidestand.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some inexpensive -but well loved on here- oil, Chevron made DELO 15-40 DIESEL oil, 12-13 bucks for 1 GALLON at wallys or oriellys

Ive read the 1500 takes less than the full 4 at change??? to be careful- after 3 qts add half of last one, run the engine a few minutes,
let engine sit Off for 2 minutes then ck with dipstick... as you are correctly doing it- cap sitting on top of threads.
Top off to indicated full.
^^^^ On the centerstand, level ground, tire pressures correct... was understood, right?

Take the gas cap off the bike and ck its air vent. Soak it overnight in seafoam then gently blow compressed air thru the vent

Gurus!!!! Can he poke something thru that vent? what where. whats that -try search? thanks

Ck the coolant res tank is correct at cold level, and the rad is topped up to its cap,
(some have problem with coolant leak from hose into res tank, and cking for hint of coolant leak into the oil now)

Tip: Do not fill gas tank above the bottom of the indicator tab- none in the funnel at all.

Do you have a Ca model- 50 State with the evap cannister system?

Thought! Are the hose clamps good on fuel filter, and the fuel line condition from filter to pump under seat? its a short piece of line if you want to replace.
I dont trust 20 year old clamps after several re-usings. Paranoia and/or safety conscious clamps and rubber hose are cheap
Can you tell me more about soaking gas cap in sea foam and blow with compressed air? Is there some type of pressure release on it? If so, what does. Clogged one cause?

Also, i have been filling fuel to the max max max. Does that cause some sort of pressure problem?

·
Administrator
21,895 Posts
Can you tell me more about soaking gas cap in sea foam and blow with compressed air? Is there some type of pressure release on it? If so, what does. Clogged one cause?

Also, i have been filling fuel to the max max max. Does that cause some sort of pressure problem?
I read, in one of the mags, when those bikes were new that if you filled to above a certain level it would clog some (charcoal?) filter. Don't remember any more than that. It may have only applied to CA models.

Just soak the cap in some kind of cheap fuel system cleaner. No need to waste the high-priced stuff. Blow some air into the holes and guard your eyes when you do.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now that I think about it, i may have been smelling the sea foam i put in the crank case last week (only an ouce or so). Forgot about that

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.