Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I saw a post on here about a different subject but the poster said that he put synthetic oil in his 1200. I have used regular oil in my 1200 thinking that it is better for the gear shifter on the bike ????

Wht do you all use in your 1200 I have been putting Valvone 10W-50 in my bike (BTW)The temp here gets up to 100 to 110 in the summer here.

Deep south Texas

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,683 Posts
imported post

You will get as many opinions as there are posters on here ;)

Chevron's Delo 400 10w40 dino blend has a good reputation.

Most of us believe in changing out the oil around 3,000 to 5,000 miles just to get rid of the contamination from combustion by products.

If you look at it that way, why spend extra money on synthetics?

This has been my practice, but no matter what oil you use, if you keep it clean, the bike will thank you.

Stay away from anything with friction modifiers if you want your clutch to keep working right.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

AZGL1500 is dead on in my opinion. Although synthetics are nice oils with lots of protection, they get dirty as quick as regular oil & your filter does not have a large storage area for particulates.

The gears in your wing will work hard at shearing the viscosity out of your oil. I agree to change it frequently & stick to conventional oils.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Not to claim I know more than anyone else on the subject, but I use Castrol syn blend, cause I like the way the clutch works with it. Maybe it's in my head, but I feel the difference in the shifting.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

I like the oil filter adaptors like I have on one of my gl 1000s.I put an Amsoil filter on it.Dont hit me for saying this but I use Amsoil too.I couldn't be happier with the Honda.It shifts like a dream and asks to be revved up high.

Also I want to know why someone would add a $200.00 piece of Chrome to their bike but put cheap oil with weak additives into their investment....?
Is it better to look good than be good?

I want to mentionthat of the top motorcycle mechanics and race engine buiders in Seattle recommends sythetic oil.I won't tell you which brand but I think you already know.

One of his Suzukis finished 5th in the Daytona 200 a few years back.He told me the bike didnt suffer too much power loss towards the end of the race and was able to make up a lot of ground on some of the other bikes.He cited good tires,a great rider and the indestructable oil for the strong finish.
And thats what I want protecting my engine internals while sitting in a Seattle traffic jam for 2+hours.Your situations may vary.Convetional oil?Hmmmm not for this kid.Not now,not ever,not even for my weedwhacker.

Flatfour
Is is Better To Be Good Than Look Good?LOL

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I feel running expensive synthetic oil in a old bike that was designed to use oil from 30 years ago, is like using high test gas in your lawn mower. Sure it will work, but for the added expense you won't be able to tell the difference.Only your wallet will.,,

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

For one thing its a Honda!
Sythetics were available since 1972 for automotive use.I don't think the designers worried too much about what oil there designs were going to use.
They could only rely on what was available at the time.
There has been great breakthroughs in additives since then.I like the inside of my engine to be sludge free.The cleaner the inside the longer the next batch of oil is going to last.
As for added expense.Everything comes at a cost.It may just depend on personal priorities.

I use synthetic oil on my keyboard.It gives maximum protection from those girlie sights on the internet.

Flatfour

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

flatfour wrote:
For one thing its a Honda!
Sythetics were available since 1972 for automotive use.I don't think the designers worried too much about what oil there designs were going to use.
They could only rely on what was available at the time.
There has been great breakthroughs in additives since then.I like the inside of my engine to be sludge free.The cleaner the inside the longer the next batch of oil is going to last.
As for added expense.Everything comes at a cost.It may just depend on personal priorities.

I use synthetic oil on my keyboard.It gives maximum protection from those girlie sights on the internet.

Flatfour
Dino oil has been around forever and your right its a Honda. I bought it used in Pa from a guy who bought it in ohio.Who knows what care has been taken of it and if the oil was ever changed. And with knowing that it still runs great.It's 27 years old and I have to believe the people that designed it knew what to use as they were making bikes for years before the wing. And built it to survive on what was available at the time. So now that dino oils are much better then way back then,they do a great job of prolonging the usefull life of an old wing. I agree newer bike can benefit from syn oil due to the Hotter temps these bikes operate at, but and old wing will just mosey along fine on the simple stuff.P.S I use dino on my keyboard, makes it run cooler, cleaner, quieter, longer.,,,

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Dusty wrote:
Wht do you all use in your 1200 I have been putting Valvone 10W-50 in my bike (BTW)The temp here gets up to 100 to 110 in the summer here.
I use Amsoil 10-W 40 4-stroke. I have liked Valvoline for a long time, but the Amsoil is a very good product too, it is made in Wisconsin, not pumped from the sand dunes, and I can get it off the shelf here at a local Farm & Fleet store.

If I had to buy it from their Amsoil dealers & put up with their annoying marketing techniques, I would prolly switch to Mobil 1 or Schaefer's, Redline,or something. But I have always used synthetics in any sound engine that I wanted to keep long term, since about 1974 or so...:waving:

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Use what makes you happy. Keep it clean and the bike won't care. Synthetics are better than dino. A simple fact. I, personally, use hydrogenated yak urine. Makes it run cooler.

John

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Dadoo wrote:
.... I, personally, use hydrogenated yak urine...

Hydrogenated yak urine has friction modifiers.

Iuse pasteurized seagull sweat. And brother it aint easy getting it.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

Dadoo wrote:
Use what makes you happy. Keep it clean and the bike won't care. Synthetics are better than dino. A simple fact. I, personally, use hydrogenated yak urine. Makes it run cooler.

John
The hydrogenated yak urine was popular as a brylcreem substitute back in the 60s.

Yak feromones really attracted the babes back then.I used to use greenbacks to attract the babes.Since there worthless now i just show them my size 13 riding boots and xxxl riding gloves.Seems to be working.

Next time i Go to Indonesia I will bring back some yak urine.

Do yaks bite?

:DFlatfour

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

yak yak yak synthetics are better then dino yak yak yak dino oil costs 1/4 of what synthetic costs yak yak yak use what you want yak yak yak .,,

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

Amsoil,100% Made In America quality.Suppport the American workforce.Its More important now than anytime in our history.God Bless America!

Flatfour
screw big oil!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

What about a 50/50 mixture of 3-n-1 oil & WD-40 with a teaspoon of castor oil as a purolizing agent :baffled:....heard somewhere that you can get about 3 - 4 engines between changes by using that mixture. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

...and if you don't use it for the bike.....it's good for constipation ! :D:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

I used to use recycled oil in the ole 51 Ford Pickup.
We would pull up to the station and have them fill the crankcase and check the gas,,,, after the smoke cloud cleared that is.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

BTY I change my oil every 3K miles or sooner
I was just wondering about the high heet I get in this armpit that I live in.
I am going to try some Shark sweat if I can get some.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I thought I saw Chevron's Delo 400 10w40 at Costco the other day. Was I dreaming or do they really sell it there?
You will get as many opinions as there are posters on here ;)

Chevron's Delo 400 10w40 dino blend has a good reputation.

Most of us believe in changing out the oil around 3,000 to 5,000 miles just to get rid of the contamination from combustion by products.

If you look at it that way, why spend extra money on synthetics?

This has been my practice, but no matter what oil you use, if you keep it clean, the bike will thank you.

Stay away from anything with friction modifiers if you want your clutch to keep working right.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Yes. Costco here in my area sells the Delo 400 by the case of 6-1 gallon jugs. They only sell it in the dino 15w-40, 400, LE, cj-4.

I bought a case and now have Delo running in both my GL1800 and VT1100.

I am please so far. The transmission definetly shifts smoother than with the Honda GN4.

Best wishes,
Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.