Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Sorry about this. Must have been asked a hundred times. cant find the info in my handbook but what type of engine oil do I need for my '94 1500. thanks.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Jock Jedburgh wrote:
Sorry about this. Must have been asked a hundred times..
Several hundred most likely Jock. Castrol is the popular oil over here. Oil is a personal thing so all I can tell you is I like Castrol GTX and Magnatec and so do a lot of other Wingers I know.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Actually more like several hundred thousand times probably, in fact probably several million if you count all the times it's been asked on all motorcycle forums. This is whats called an "oil thread" I could tell you what I recommend, and proceed to write a book on why. But the simple fact is, oil is oil. I also use Castrol GTX car oil, 20w50 weight, because it is HOT where I live (well over 100 degrees). If you live where it is cold almost of the time, (40 degreesF or less) then I would use 10w40. I do not recommend any other weights, but you can use any brand, car, motorcycle specific, regular, synthetic, it will all work the same. Main thing is to change it as often as you can. I never leave oil in a bike over 3,000 miles, and have a couple of smaller bikes that I change the oil in every 1000 miles. Clean oil of the right weight is what matters.

Oh, one more thing. NEVER use anything below 10w40, and stay away from "energy conserving" oils at all costs. Not only are they to thin for any engine, but they will destroy a motorcycle clutch.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

10w30 is approved for the 1500 in temps under 80* F. I use it here in winter where we go from a min of around 8* to a max typically of 45*. General use- go with a 10w40 or 15w40.
Agree with the non energy conserving reply.
You will get a variety of responses!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.