Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is the difference between motorcycle oil and regular oil from Walmart. Same API rating , Synthetic is same, and Blend is same. So Why are we paying more for a package that says Motorcycle Oil. Please tell me. thanks.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

No difference. Just make sure what you use does not contain friction reducers. Won't work in wet clutch applications.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Just make make sure the oil you use doesn`t say "Energy
Conserving" on the star burst design on the backside. I like to use Shell Rotella availabe at Wal Mart. Some people
here also like bto use Chevron Delo 400 LE.

Tom Bishop

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

most of the diesel oils are fine, and some have had no problems with any car oil. Is it just an urban myth that friction modifiers cause slipping clutches? or is it the 150,000 miles? hard to pin it on the oil. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Is it just an urban myth that friction modifiers cause slipping clutches?
I totally agree....

....that is within limits.

Automotive 10w30 is typically an energy conservation oil thathas an additive package which includes some of the friction reducing modifiers.

I would neveruse a true Teflon or molybium oil, but I really do not a see why one would have a problem with an regular automotive 10w30 oil.

I typically run 10w40 or straight weight 40 or 50 oil which is not labled as an energy conservation oil, but I am sure it does have a minimal amount of the friction reducing compounds in their additive package. It is probably a thicker weight oil that does not meet the 10w30 criteria for a energy saving type of oil; therefore, it is not labled as such.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

I like to use the diesel grade oil because it's doing a lot of work lubricating the engine, trans and clutch. I would not run a straight 30 or 40 weight simply because most of your wear is at start up when the engine and oil is cold and that's when you want the oil the thinnest.

My two cents.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

brianinmaine wrote:
most of the diesel oils are fine, and some have had no problems with any car oil. Is it just an urban myth that friction modifiers cause slipping clutches? or is it the 150,000 miles? hard to pin it on the oil. Good luck!
Urban myth? I'll tell you what..you put a can of "slick 50" into your bike, and if your clutch doesn't start chattering immediately I'll buy the next oil change and filter for you. If (when ) it does...YOU get to buy the replacement clutch plates. Been there!

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

DELO 15-40 400 LE---at walmart

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Regardless of what you put in make shure you change it often, the tranny and clutch live in the engine oil so it get cruddy fast
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Regardless of what you put in make shure you change it often, the tranny and clutch live in the engine oil so it get cruddy fast
Wilf

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Did you guys who use the Delo and Rotella oils notice an improvement in transmission function after changing over:baffled:

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
imported post

jeffy1500 wrote:
Did you guys who use the Delo and Rotella oils notice an improvement in transmission function after changing over:baffled:
My transmission shifts quieter and smoother when i use delo or rott 15w40....

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

In a poll over at NGW Club 50% used the Rotella (Delo wasn't one of the choices). Hondaline semi-synthetic and Valvoline M/C oil had fans too. I run the Valvoline only because the auto parts store is closer than the Walmart. After reading about a million oil threads I figure that's as good a reason as any. The trans gears sheer the oil molecules so frequent changes are the best idea.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

jeffy1500 wrote:
yes i did--the po used rotella and mobile 1. when i would shift the shifter would actually kick back at my foot , and the noise of a clunky shift is quieter too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.