Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

like to know if quaker state 10w 40 oil is ok to use,i here you need a wet clutch oil.this sea foam do you really need to use it if you change your oil every 4000.if you put it in the fuel i here it will dry out the rubber parts ?:?winter storage in a garage non heated whats the best way to store the bike.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Any oil that says "energy conserving" on the back seal is not good for the clutch no matter what brand.

I use stabil in the gas for over the winter.

Start every month on a warm day and let run until fans turn on.

Pretty much all I do and never have had any problems.:waving:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

Use chevron 15-40 delo 400 oil...it works well with the wet clutch, and keeps the transmission quieter. It can be found at walmart. I use seafoam 2 or 3 times a summer just to keep things clean...it does not harm rubber seals, and it comes highly recommended by other members. i do not know if it will stabilize the fuel for winter storage...i have been told it will. but i dont know for sure. also, i have never used it in the oil...i dont think i ever would.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

You have a couple questions going here.

For oil, you don't want anything with "friction fighters" or "Resource Conserving" additives in it. Look for the API circle on the bottle, the one with the SAE viscosity numbers in the middle. Notice that the circle is divided into 3 regions. The bottom semi-circle should be blank.

Seafoam can be used in your gas to keep your carbs and fuel systems clean and in your crank to clean your engine internals. In your gas, you don't need to run it in every tank. I like to run one tank at full strength (see bottle for mix ratio) then a tank at half strength, then 2 or three tanks without any Seafoam. For your oil, put it in for the last 100 miles before you change your oil. Change right away with the engine hot. Some debate if Seafoam should be used in your oil at all if you have a 1200 with it's stator bathed in oil. The thought being that Seafoam will erode the varnish on the windings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.