Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 goldwing. I have always changed my own oil. It has 67K. After this oil change ( I overfilled a little ) I saw a 6 inch thin line of oil on the ground when I got home from a short ride. Only a few short rides so far. while out I look on ground and no oil with short stops. I get home and it's dry under bike whether it sits for a day or a week. when I stand the bike up off side stand and back out there is a thin 4-6 inch line of oil (not an ounce) , left side under engine. I sucked out a few ounces of oil and it still did it next time. While I stop for a few minutes it's dry under bike. I look as I leave. I get home and park- dry until I go the next day or later. It will stop when I get enough excess oil out but my question is " has anyone ever seen this happen"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just pulled the side cover and tried to look. from under it there is no wet spot. Bottom of the engine is dry. It comes from center/left for sure. now-correct level or even a little low on oil. 3 days ago drove 55 miles went inside for an hour , came out and dry as I pulled away. 55 miles home and dry when I put it in garage. Yesterday I backed out and oil on ground. went 5 miles, parked for half hour, came out and dry as I rode away. stopped for gas and dry when I drove away. This morning in garage dry,,, started engine and backing up and oil on the ground. If it's that seal there should be a wet spot where it's coming out, but I can't see it. that's why I asked if anyone has ever seen this. There is a leak--weird leak--but a leak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sits on the side stand in the garage. I get on and tilt it up straight. I start the engine as I am using my feet to back out of the garage while in nuteral. Tomorrow I will try backing out without starting the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my head under the engine while on the center stand and can't see any wet spots. That's what makes this so frustrating. If I can see it,,,, fixable. I already drove it 10 miles today and it's on the side stand. Tomorrow I will drive it again then park it on the center stand....thanks so far everyone !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone. I am an idiot for waiting so long to see it. I taped paper under the bike this morning, which I should have done first. I started it and sure enough it leaked. It is the oil filter seal. It still isn't dripping there so I overlooked it. Since it expands when warm it never leaked while out riding or when I got home. I did just change the oil and never really overtighten the filter. I put the oil filter wrench on it and it seems snug enough so it has to be a bad "O" ring. Easy fix.

·
Administrator
57,953 Posts
My lawn tractor had that problem.

it was smearing oil all over the side of the engine, could not tell where it was coming from.

used a high pressure washer to clean the engine and tractor's frame....

pulled the oil filter off, and found two gaskets ????? yup, 2 of them.

new filter, new oil, and wallah!!! it quit using oil....
it has 575 hours on it, and I thought it was about worn out....

Switched it over from the old grungy looking 30W black stuff, to Mobil-1 5w30 synthetic. Can't believe how much cleaner that motor is now.

When I check it before mowing again, the stick is in "Plain View" all the way to the bottom.... Before, there was a "black and white" delineation point. top of stick is clean and shiny, bottom of stick is smudgy black...

no more now though, and the motor sounds happy.

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
Hey John, your story reminds me of the time my son changed the oil and filter for me in my 81 Ford Crown Vic. After he got through, he started it and heard a squealing sound and, when he looked under the car, oil was shooting out from around the filter. He shut if off and pulled the filter off. He found there was two gaskets there. When he removed the old filter the gasket stayed in place and he put the new filter on over the old gasket. So the moral of the story is, two oil filter gaskets are NOT better than one! :ROFL: We spent about a half hour cleaning up all the oil that shot out around the filter. The squealing sound was the oil coming out around the filter under pressure. Kind of like the sound you hear when you let the air out of a balloon while stretching apart the rubber where the air is coming out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts