Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you folks like to use to oil the throttle cable?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Got mine from the Honda dealer. I is a bottle of cable lube with a long steel "needle" out the top. I think it's called Inox but I'm sure any of the lubes your motorcycle dealer has is fine. I would avoid using anything other than a cable lube made specially for motorcycle cables. I also prefer the gravity feed rather than a spray can with a straw..

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
sorry to hijack this thread but i purchased this

and i wonder how to use it, do you have to remove the cables from the bottom to get enough clearance on the top??

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
+1 for the Cable Luber above... and Teflon Spray Lube into it.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
William, That is one of the reasons I've stayed away from products like that. With the long needle on the oiler I use, Inox, all you have to do is split the clamshell at the throttle grip.

If you can't get enought clearance to remove the cables then you have no choice but to loosen them at the bottom as well. I don't think you have to remove the cables just loosen them all the way.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
what i did, i took a length of 5/16" hose, about a foot will do, and a clamp. remove the cables from the clamshell so thet they are free.

slide the hose over the cable and clamp it at the base so you have a tight seal.

fill the tube with your favorite lube (i used wd40 to flush it first)

then BLOW on the free end of the tube, forcing the lube through. in some cases you can see the rusty gunk come out the other end.

that should free the cable up nicely.

then bask in the glow of clean and lubed cables:raspberry::bow:

that worked for me on one of my trips in an emergency

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Vern,
Having seen your Goldwing I have difficulty believeing there is any rust or gunk to speak of-LOL.
Sam

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Vern,
Having seen your Goldwing I have difficulty believeing there is any rust or gunk to speak of-LOL.
Sam
Sam, but there is!

you remember we were at mackinac city on ATL when my throttle wouldnt release?

thats what i did to solve the problem. i belive its a pic of me blowing on the hose on facebook somewhere:wtf:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I use Lock-Ease
Some more talk of it all here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Powdered graphite/ dri slide is the correct thing to use. Always has been.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.