Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got an 84 aspencade. I did the timing belts earlier this evening, and when I had the radiator out I noticed the lower hose was oily, inside. Stuck a big qtip in the hose. And the pump cavity is full of oil. The upper hose isn't oily, and the radiator isn't oily inside.
I read there are o rings on the water pump to keep oil from weeping around the pump. Would those o rings cause this? There isn't any water in the oil, so I'm not sure it's a head gasket. Bike has 60k on it, and has sat for a month or so. The guy I got it from told me it would over heat after riding for a while. So I'm not sure which direction to go.

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
That is unusual. I would check to see that the weep hole is open. Some who have oil leaks at the water pump might plug the weep hole defeating it's purpose. The purpose is to weep out leaking oil so it can not enter the water jacket via the weep hole cavity.

·
Administrator
22,200 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. :waving:

Like Mike says, check the weep hole.

When I had a head gasket going, the first sign was oil in the radiator, but only up in the neck.

Hopefully, your problem is the pump.

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. :waving:

Like Mike says, check the weep hole.

When I had a head gasket going, the first sign was oil in the radiator, but only up in the neck.

Hopefully, your problem is the pump.
That is not oil Dennis. That is combustion residue mixed with coolant. Good thought though. Maybe the OP has the same issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Head gaskets.
Flushed the cooling system after draining the oily stuff from the coolant drain.
Pulled tstat and out it all back together.
Filled with water, because I had a feeling I'd be draining it soon.
Fired right off. Pressurized the overflow tank right off the bat. Lots of steam from both exhaust pipes. Rough running. Constant pressure in the overflow. Bike died. Got it started back, blew the lid off the overflow, more steam, running rougher. Crap.
So head gaskets. If I do that, I might as well buy the really nice limited edition in town that needs an engine and do these head gaskets, and swap engine into the limited.

·
Administrator
22,200 Posts
Head gaskets.
Flushed the cooling system after draining the oily stuff from the coolant drain.
Pulled tstat and out it all back together.
Filled with water, because I had a feeling I'd be draining it soon.
Fired right off. Pressurized the overflow tank right off the bat. Lots of steam from both exhaust pipes. Rough running. Constant pressure in the overflow. Bike died. Got it started back, blew the lid off the overflow, more steam, running rougher. Crap.
So head gaskets. If I do that, I might as well buy the really nice limited edition in town that needs an engine and do these head gaskets, and swap engine into the limited.

That swap isn't that easy. You probably don't want to go there.

Please fill in your profile so we know where you are and what you ride. Year and model.

Many seem to think that all the 1200s, or 1100s, etc. are the same bike. Nothing could be further from the truth.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Save all that work and do the head gaskets.
If it doesn't have a LOT of miles,that motor will run good for a long time.
The limited ones are nice but if it hasn't been kept up it can cause a lot of issues,like the Fuel Injection,with the age and so many parts common to the 2 year model,you could be walking a lot.
I loved my 85 but with the computers on it ,things were starting to go wrong and it was 6 years old when I totaled it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For now until I do the profile, bike is an 84 aspencade. Not the nicest bike, but, it beats not having one. Seat needs to be covered. Needs paint but is still fairly presentable.
I was told it had 60k miles, and that the cluster was changed. Cluster shows 101k. So who knows. I'm not in it deep, traded a virago for it. And I've got all winter. Downside is I'm going to have to do this on a shoe string. Coming off a divorce and getting things back together.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Head gaskets will be all you need to get it going again,just some work that you can do,maybe o rings for the runners.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Did I see that the company that makes GW gaskets now off them for sale.?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Spell check,yep was HAVE ,
It was when the discussion about the 1500 leaking COOLANT on the right side that it was mentioned,I THINK.

I looked back at that post and didn't find what I was referring to,so I must have been in error in my post.��

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.