5,734 Posts
imported post

:sadguy:SORRY , but i missed the question :sadguy:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

This thread got submitted twice, so I emptied one. Looks like a mod tried to help by deleting one, but got the one with the question...

I am looking for tips on finding cheap or free camping sites...

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

Bro, I had the great idea that I could travel cheaper and farther by tent camping.... unfortunately what I learned is that while it can be cheaper if you stay at the right location, it is only a night or two that makes it cheap and what you have to do to make up for what you loose negates your savings.

Example, National Forest lands allow you to camp off road or off trail at "unimproved" areas for free, but if you do this you have to travel to get water and facilities such as a shower or bathroom. Camping inside rec areas with facilities can cost between 15 to 30 dollars depending on where you are and how much "service" you want.

State parks vary greatly, many charge upwards of 15 to 25 dollars to camp now, and sometimes more... your local KOA on the other hand has nice facilities and sometimes a pool for between 22 and 30 a night.

Most areas I travel through and a cheaper motel, for example Dave0430 and I were able on our trip (through NM and back to AR) to find a motel 6 at 29.95 and so the price difference hardly made it worth the sacrifice in comfort of tenting it.

If how ever you are determined to camp it out, remember you can camp on FEDERAL lands FREE if you choose and unimproved site... for example, you can simply use any turn off from the road in a National Forest and set up camp for the night. No fee is needed.

This is why I am saving my money for a tear drop to pull behind my bike... when at a destination per se' I can camp with it and use electricity, water etc and even have heat or air if I want at a reasonable fee... if I am not at a destination and need to get a nights sleep and Walmart nation wide will allow you to park over night on their lot for free so traveling with a tear drop means I can stop at rest areas, Walmarts, malls etc when |I get tired an simply crawl n bed for some zzz's.

Hope this is helpful.

A1:byebye:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

hey, how bout I sprinkle some whiskey on me, and go to the mission. Get a cot, and a bowl of soup! lol

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

A1 brings up some valid points :grinner: ......... however

if you are an avid backpacker, you will/should have the equipment in your 'stash of gear' that eliminates the 'downsides' that A1 brings up. Only scenario that would present a problem for a camp site of longer than a day, would be no water source.

If you are wanting to just travel light, fastand cheap, you can always pull off in a small wooded section of land/pasture around dusk and 'Stealth Camp', using just a tarp and you pad/bag. You're up before/by dawn and on your way, leaving no trace of your 'bivouac'. Rest stops provide a chance to 'clean up' and cook a meal, if nothing else presents itself. Sort of like backpacking, except you have a bike to propel you and take the weight off of your shoulders

Yeah .... it can be done cheap, just don't expect 'all the amenities'! :coollep:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
imported post

AspectOne wrote:
Most areas I travel through and a cheaper motel, for example Dave0430 and I were able on our trip (through NM and back to AR) to find a motel 6 at 29.95 and so the price difference hardly made it worth the sacrifice in comfort of tenting it.
No disrespect, A1, but is this kind of hotel one of THOSE kinds of hotels? We have cheap hotels here, too, but they tend to advertise for what they refer to as "transit customers" (i.e.: we rent by the hour). Assuming I do make it back to NY soon, I will be flying out to Ohio to pick up a van I bought for my sister and driving it back to NY. As such, I would like to find an inexpensive place to stay overnight on my way back. Is Motel 6 a good option for me?

Back on topic, the sheer THRILL of actually living in the woods (temporarily) is one which has a powerful pull on me these days. Heat, air con, running water, a shower, proper facilities...... they would be MOST welcome in my book! :)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Well, I usually prefer camping, but with amenities -- like showers, laundry, etc. And while the cost of campgrounds is going up, I believe you can still save money in a tent. Some of the most beautiful places we've spent the night, we were in a tent. There are no "cheap" motels in places like the Grand Canyon, Red Lodge, Montana, or Pierced Rock, Gaspe' Peninsula... One of the most extreme examples was in Interlaken, Switzerland. The lodging in Interlaken seemed to average $300 USD a night(!), but we were in a beautiful lakeside campground for about $20 USD.

One of the things not touched upon is flexibility: if you carry camping gear you can sometimes find a place to camp when all the motels are full...especially in the "beautiful" places.

The issue of "stealth" camping is separate: Red and I yesterday met a charming kid on a Honda Deauville (I think...)from Quebec eager to practice his English.

"I no pay for camping," he told Red. "I find two motels at Perce... big, tall grass in middle of them...I put leetle, leetle tent between... I got good view in tall grass... I no pay for camping! I have leetle, leetle tent!"

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Stealth Camping I like that. When I was rousted outside of Pagosa Springs, Co. the State Trooper said that I could not just be Renegade Camping where I felt like and to move on. I just agreed and headed out.

I always camp I generally try to stay in primitive campsites since I usually only am there for sleeping and maybe cooking up a bag of dehydrated food on my little camp stove before I hit the rack the am on the road at or shortly after day break.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

the only way my dad could weasle free camping was to buy the slip stream modle thats a camper trailer big enough for just one only but its so small and quick to set up that he is in and out in about 3 minutes he does the road side parks or a rest area like someone stated its usually 20 bucks or somethin like that at a camp ground

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

If you know where you will be staying quite a few small towns allow camping in their park or have a nice road side camp area. Our road side park even has free showers. You can usually find that kind of information from the town's chamber of commerce web site.

Cousin jack you make a good point about hotel availability. The last trip I was on we hit an area where hotel rooms were getting a bit short. My ridding buddy asked what I would have done if we could not find a room. I told him that there was a discount store in town and I could have bought a 4 man tent, sleeping bag, and pad for less than what we were about to spend on a hotel room :)

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
I told him that there was a discount store in town and I could have bought a 4 man tent, sleeping bag, and pad for less than what we were about to spend on a hotel room :)
That's a valid and previously unconsidered (by me) point - once you buy the camping gear, you have something tangible. A stay in a motel room is gone once you check out.

Gee, am I really brave enough to give this a go........? :baffled:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.