Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

361 - 367 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with you both. BUT!!! it pulled beautifully before the CT. Just for troubleshooting purposes, I think i'll wait til i get the Pilot Activ on the front and see how it handles before I go to modifying the trailer. Even with the '80 model and this bike, if i pulled it empty without the loaded ice chest, it had a little wiggle to it but nothing that concerned me. I may try it again with the trailer loaded to see if it acts right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
just installed a Yoko Avid Ascend NRF 195-60-16 on my 04, 4th CT, so far I like this tire it's rounder than the Mich. Alpin RF.
running 35# psi, doing a 150-200 ride tomorrow to do a break-in, we'll see how it go's

·
Registered
74 Posts
Double Darkside Done! Got the Pilot Activ mounted and balanced about 9pm. Went for a little ride to check it out....WOW!!!! I absolutely love it! 85 Mph straight and smooth as an arrow! Now to put the trailer on and see if the wiggle is gone.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I put a CT on my 2000 Yamaha Venture Royal. At first I was sure I had made a mistake. But with some tweaking of tire pressure, it was very nice to ride. I found that front and rear tire pressures had to be just so and not vary by more than 3 lbs. No issues after that, 1 or 2 up with or without the Bushtec trailer. We put thousands of miles on the tire. That bike is out of our inventory now and a '98 1500 GW is on the lift in the garage being revived after 5 yrs storage. It will sport at CT next season, on the rear.

The only thing that I noticed, and it was minor, was the bikes tracking in tight turns. Because of the profile of the CT, the rear felt like it was tracking wider around tight corners. It most likely was. But it never caused a issue nor did it skip or studder on the pavement. I could still drag the pipes and the wife would slap me up side the helmet about scratching the chrome stuff. Boys will be boys, chrome or not.

Bob & Lisa

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
The only handling trait (which may have been there with a MC tire, I do not remember) is if I go on the painted lines the bike feels them, but it is like they are noticed and followed a bit? Hard to describe. But, it has never been uncomfortable
Motorcycle tires "feel" the painted lines. I believe it's the ground glass in the paint that makes the line reflective. Even slight condensation (especially in cool weather) makes the lines far more slippery than adjacent unpainted road surface.

·
Administrator
57,510 Posts
car tires to also, if that stripe is wide enough, you can feel the effect of water on those stripes with a car that has a tight front end...

Like our little Pontiac Vibe, it can feel a few twigs of grass on the road.... and wants to go sliding if you are not careful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm never going back!

Just over 15,000 miles with the Battlax on the front and the Austone on the rear with ceramic balance beads. Couldn't be happier with the wear and performance. The only thing I will probably do different on the next change is try a different front tire.

361 - 367 of 367 Posts