Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been considering going darkside and this information is incredible and amazing. Thank you darksiders. So run flat or not run flat what one should I choose. I think that if I go run flat I need to get a monitoring system for it and I don't want to fork out a whole lot of money on this. As far as the front tire goes does it matter what I run? I am thinking the Avon Cobra's maybe as no one seems super happy with the E3. THANKS!

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
This is from wpgfire about 3 years ago it's one of the most comprensive reports I have ever seen so I'm including it here.....

wpgfire
VERY Active Member

Garage
wpgfire's Garage
1997 Honda SE
imported post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are other references to the Austone Taxi Tire (175R16) on the Forum but no thread devoted to it as there is for the Federal/Formoza that some of you are using. Thought I'd make it easier for those doing a search. I know that Saibeer and mwhit 1500 installed them and will hopefully give their opinions as well, though I know they have weighed in on other threads/forums.

I did my due diligence and decided to try an Austone Taxi Tire on my 97SE. Radial. 175R16 that equates to about 175/80-16 I’m told. Only Q-rated (99 mph). 6 ply rating but sidewalls still feel softer than my Pilot GT. Tread width -5.5, height 26.9. Running 45 lbs, though it calls for 55 lbs and 1650 lb load capacity (The website says 36 but the sidewall says 55).

https://www.universaltire.com/175r16...axi-black.html

Why the Austone?

a) Increases the height of the seat by about an inch. My 34 inseam legs are long enough that I can still flat-foot on both sides with the shocks @ 60lbs. Feels comfortable to me.
b) (a) gives me about 200 rpm at speeds above 60 mph. I'm now running 2600 @ 60, 2750 @ 65, 3000 @ 70, 3250 @ 75. And to me it makes a difference. Never tried to shift to 5th once today.
c) The tire is more rounded on the edges (shallower radius) than the others that will fit on the 1500s. While reports of other CTs indicate a positive counter-steer is required through corners, this tire does not. See below for more on that.
d) This tire is rated for over 100,000 miles. The only reason I may ever change it is due to damage or age. Price is cheaper than an E3 by a few bucks but I hope to only have to buy one in my lifetime, not one a year.

Let me begin by describing my riding style. For those of you downhill skiers in the crowd I'd be categorized as a mostly Blue rider that delves into the Black Diamond runs from time to time. I can and will scrap em if I'm so moved but am happy scooting through twisties with a bit of leash. Rarely will I see anything above 75 mph on the Wing riding down the slabs. Don't see the need. See my signature. I have a Valk for days when I need to clear the cobwebs.

Initial Impression: Popped on like a slipper. A good dose of detergent on the beads and it snapped into place at 40 lbs. No problem installing and the slight mod at the front flap to avoid rubbing took 30 seconds prior to tire installation. Good clearance on both sides, front and top (pics to come). But this is one tall tire. The bike goes onto the center stand about as easily as the side stand goes down. I may have to carry a piece of 1 X 4 to put under the stand because I have only about 1 inch of clearance between the tire and the floor in the garage. Put this thing on the center stand in a vulnerable place and it could just walk off the stand on its own. It's a shade narrower than the Pilot GT I just took off but its round enough on the edges that most people won't even recognize it as a CT unless I tell them.

Riding the Slabs Wow! Quiet, smooth, solid, predictable. At anything over 60 mph this tire just cruises along and within 50 miles you've forgotten you're riding a CT and start enjoying the scenery. And I looked for trouble. Cracks between lanes, tar snakes (85 out today so they were soft), ruts carved into the blacktop by 18-wheelers. By comparison this tire dwarfs the performance of the GT. And I was as disappointed as anyone when they discontinued the GTs. They were great tires. Very little wander in the ruts or grooved pavement. Seems like the front (Pilot GT) is more responsible for any shimmy I do feel. Not that there is much. As I said, I was looking for trouble.

Back Roads This tire seems to smooth the road out a good bit. Very little jumping around compared to the Pilot. Patches of rough or repaired blacktop pose no problem or wandering. Railroad tracks, even angled crossings present no surprises. And I even stopped and adjusted the suspension down to 25 lbs and did them again to see if I'd bottom out. Nope. No rubbing at any point. After about 100 miles I got comfortable enough to do the 60 mph sweepers hands-free. No counter-steer required. Just lean into it and then lean back.

Gravel I have an apples-to-apples comparison for this one. One of my local rides involves a 10 mile jaunt over gravel. Tried to ride it last week right after a maintainer had spread loose gravel all over the road. Didn't even make it a mile on the Pilot before I turned my tail and headed for home. Today I rode that same road and its still in about the same shape it was last week. Swore I would do the whole thing and see what happened. Started out pretty timid but it took next to no time and I was whizzing along at 55 mph. I grew up on dirt bikes but I rarely would ever have tried 55 on a Wing on gravel before. Felt rock solid and had room to do more. But I have no need or desire to ride gravel. I will say that construction zones will no longer cause the sweat to form on my brow.

Crosswinds had a 25 mph crosswind for about 75 miles and was curious how the tire would react. The Pilot always just did a lean into the wind but held a good line. Same is true for the Austone with less lean. The flat footprint of the Austone holds the line very well. Look forward to heading out in one of our Praire gales to see how it really handles.

Twisties and wet roads Jury is out. We, a) have no twisties within 700 miles and, b) are going through a drought with no hope of rain for some time. But from reports from others using this tire I doubt I'll be disappointed.

Pulling a Trailer Again, the jury is out and I will post an update once I've pulled the Leisurelite a few miles with it.

The Very Good Stopping power. I should have done a test to see what the stopping distance from 60 was with the Pilot. I'm positive this tire shortens it by at least a few feet. That is major for a bike that pulls a trailer a good bit of the time. Like my father used to say, Anything can go fast but not just anything can stop on a dime. Always know how you’ll do the second before you try the first.The second improved dramatically today.

The Bad The Austone does not like slow speeds. It handles extremely well in the parking lot doing figure 8s but out on the street traveling at 30-45 mph it seems to want to jump all over the place finding a line. Not enough to scare me. Just enough to make me pay attention. Am interested to see how that will feel on a wet road. Had to tell myself to relax a few times until I got used to the feeling. Don't know if that's a reflection of our pitiful roads or of the tire. It's worth noting so that you're not surprised if you decide to try one.

I hate driving in the city as it is so the slow driving thing is a non-issue for me. 90% of my miles are out on the open road.

Though I have only ridden the tire for 400 miles I am quite impressed by it. And I'm told it gets better as it wears in. If that's true then I will not be going back to a MT.

Remember, this is just my opinion. Your experience may be different. I'm only putting it out there for your information. File where you feel appropriate. I will not take offense.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
This is from the same thread by SaiBeer and is also about the Austone and tells more about how to set it up..

All;
I am just under 4,000 miles on this Austone - but:
Been on a lot of different roads, mostly city driving though with quick jaunts out on the weekend. Even at 122°F this tire tracks true, no searching at 47psi and 55psi shocks. The front tire searches more than the rear tire does and is quite annoying now that the rear is so solid.
The twisties are limited by front (and sometimes rear) suspension bottoming out not the back tire breaking loose. (Yeah I know a few tricks about road racing). Trust me on this one. I do not have a high performance front end and the Austone clearly outperforms the stock suspension.
Rain is a joy (I know no one enjoys the rain that much). You will never fear the rain due to worrying about loss of traction. Just look in the mirror at that huge dry patch behind you. I am much more comfortable in the rain now and only worry about oily spots.
Sound: No one is going to believe me but I can hear the front tire (E3) easily and I cannot hear the rear unless I am pushing a corner when I hear it squeal (even though it squeals it doesn't feel like the E3 rear which was a very soft and light feeling - almost scary in that I thought it would break loose once it started squealing - it never did though)
Tire pressures: I have been as high as 52 for several hundred miles and down to 37 psi. I have chosen 47 psi more because of how easy it is to read on the gauge that I have. This tire has a wide comfort zone.
The pressure in the shocks, I have been down to 28psi (actually 0 when I started and quickly changed) but the bike really wriggles at that pressure. I have been as high as 75psi but it felt like a rock there (and VERY tall). I now keep it at 55psi because I can ride 2-up in a heart beat. The bike is tall at that pressure - but so am I (just be warned)
Stopping power is unbelievable as compared to the E3. You have to try it to understand what I am talking about. There is absolutely no comparison period.
This is a very heavy bike and throwing it around in the curves is not my favorite thing to do with this bike. It takes concentration and a lot of fore-thought. You cannot let the bike get ahead of you even for an instant. With that all said - the CT doesn't make things any more difficult or better. I can ground out the pegs and bottom out the front end easy compared to other lighter bikes made with a lot less rake on the nose than this bike.
I have never endorsed any aftermarket anything (including when I was racing back in the days when I used to be immortal) and I do not want anyone to think this is anything other than expressing what I have experienced on MY RIDE.
Everyone ride safe and enjoy the scenery.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
OK here are some other things I have found in regards to the Austone tire:

1. The tire is about an inch higher than your E-3 so it leans over farther and for some it makes it harder to get the bike back upright. Most say you need a longer kickstand if you can find one.

2. There is a small rubber piece on the bottom of the rear fender on the front most have said it rubs the tire. The best answer is to drill two small holes in it and use a Tie-Wrap to pull it away from the tire.

3. Tire pressure is relative just depends on how you feel but 36psi to 48psi seems to be the range.

4. If the bike feels squirly check your shock pressure before you think it's the tire.

5. The 40psi rating on the tire is the maxium pressure to use to get the tire onto the rim.

6. You do have to use more counter steering to go through the corners but after a hundred miles most don't even notice it anymore

·
Registered
936 Posts
Rode 2up for the first time this weekend on a CT. No issues! She likes heavy leans and we took some on/off ramps pretty good. Never doubted the CT. I believe it is here to stay.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Very interesting thread. Glad it has been started. Awhile back I posted in another thread about my experience with the c/t on my 2002 1800. It was not good experience. Several people suggested that I might have picked a bod tire for the 1800. I really wanted this c/t thing to work. So I bought a rim off ebay and paid for a yokahama envigor avid run flat. It cost me 168.00 dollars with the shipping. That seemed to be what quite a few 1800 riders are using and they like them. The Hankook optima that I used was 58.00 dollars.
So here is a cut and paste of my experience c/t with the Hankook. I have about 600 miles on the new yokahama now and I do not see much differene in the two. I will leave this tire on the bike for another 1000 miles or so to see if I can "adapt" to something I should not have to adapt to. I am still playing with tire pressure and so far the only psi that makes this tire somewhat usable is 52psi. If I drop down into the forties it really is squishy and wanders all over the place. Hang in there as I will post here again when the jury is in. Please do not get me wrong, this is not a bitch. Just the facts as I see them for me. I really want this c/t thing to work for me but so far, NO GO. Oh yeah, one more thing. A little while ago I replaced the lower triple tree with a billet aluminum one and all balls bearings. My 45mph deceleration wobble was gone. Not even a little shake. I was happy and this was with a worn out junk badly cupped E-3. When I put the new c/t back on my de-cel wobble is back. hmmmmm.

Ok, here are the negatives things i have found with using a car tire on my wing. the tire in question is a Hankook Optimo 195/65/R16. First let me say that at no time did i feel like this I was at any risk to my well being or that i thought that using a c/t on a motorcycle rim was a dangeous thing to do. with that said here goes.

The bad......

It would not track a straight line. wondered from left to right.
It would not hold it's line in a corner.
Tar snakes would cause it to go where ever the they went. if they headed off the road and you were on one you had better be ready to make a change.
The same with road groves.
In the twisties you could feel the transition from straight ahead to leaning into the corners and you had to make it go into the corners and once there you had to make it come out of the corners. you were always either over steering or under steering. Got very tirering by the end of the day.
Traction on dirt roads or gravel was terrible. the tire would ride up on top of the dirt from a dead stop and just spin where the m/c tire would dig in and go.
When pulling off the blacktop onto gravel like going into a camp site with a maybe a 2 inch drop it was very unstable. felt like i was going to tip over. never had that problem with a m/t.
It handled so bad that 45 mile per hr corners were now down to 30 and that was taking your life in your own hands.
The 45 mile per hr. de-celeration wobble was much worse.
Only 11,000 miles to the wear bars and that is with 11/32 dread depth versus 6/32 on a m/c tire.
Now i'm sure i have left out some things here but that should be enough for now.

The good.....

Better load capacity.
Maybe a slightly softer ride.

Just a little about me.
Been riding for 53 years. Been a mechanic all my life, 12 years in a m/c shop, 4 years in a m/c machine shop for custom bike work.
I own ( Green Mountain Vintage cycle restoration and do a few restorations on my own time.
Raced flat track 10 years and moto cross for 5 years and still enter a few races in my age class. The old farts class, hahahahahaa
SO IT AIN'T LIKE I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT. and i don't bitch just for the sake of bitchin. And this is not a bitch, just facts.

So, anybody have any constructive ideas here. I really want this to work.

Cyclepath

·
Registered
936 Posts
Very interesting. I didn't use the run flat, but do run the Yokahama. I hear of people having the wobble and haven't experience a bad situation on my 2006. A coworker has a 2008 and he states the same thing. We hear of it, but neither experience the problems. I have only used E3 tires in my Goldwing experience which started two years ago. The only problem I had with my E3's was poor handling in rain (or the fear of slippage since I felt it twice and then spooked). Yes, they sing to you in a fast corner, but to me that wasn't an issue. I only had cupping when I rode in the Smokies and used heavy braking for all the corners I ran into hard. By the time I got home 800 miles later, the cupping disappeared. I read up on what causes cupping and figured it was from hard braking and the faster corners. My current front E3 is almost to the wear bars and it has almost 13,000 of my miles on it. Bought the bike in September and no idea how many miles were on the tires when bought. The rear E3 is getting mounted on another rim I bought for a spare....if I want off my CT.

I wonder if frame or something else causes your wobble and tire experience????? You live to far away to test bikes side by side.

I don't track any different on a CT compared to the MT. At first I thought it didn't hold a line in a corner, but that is now gone. Someone said it would take 1-2,000 miles to rub the corners off the CT. I live in flat land IL and didn't run 2,000 miles of corners yet, but the tire doesn't have problems in corners now. I believe I learned the traits is what happened.

I just ran with a group of people this weekend that put a car tire on front of a trike. He called to his wife to "ride the tar snakes" over the cb. I was behind her and followed the same tar snakes and cracks in the road. She said she tracked straight and I had the same feeling. I have tested tar snakes many times and didn't have problems. I heard the E3 is really bad for them too, but I can't agree. What are people calling bad? I would love to compare my bike to someone else's that says the problem is there. Maybe I don't feel problems and they are sensitive to things? I can't answer that yet. I knew I had to try my own runs to make my own decisions. So far great for me. I wonder if something is up with your frame, bearings, something Cyclepath. If you could test two bike of the same tires and such, I wonder what you would experience? You have me curious and someday I hope I can try a comparison myself.

I hear what you are saying with your experience and everything. I don't have anything to offer except my experiences and maybe I can broaden that with time and testing other machines. Seems like it works or it doesn't. Why?? Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hi youngnbald. thanks for posting. yeah, i hear ya. i do not know why it works for some and not for others. i really wanted this to work. the jury is still out a far as the yokahama goes. ineed to put more miles on it. there are some differences between the two tires. as far as my bike goes i do not believe there is anything wrong with the frame or anything else. this one also did NOT have the frame problem that some have had. with a m/t on it, it handles like a motorcycle should and the 1800 is one of the best handlers i have owned. not so much with the c/t on it. i'll post back here when i have more miles on the yoka....

Very interesting. I didn't use the run flat, but do run the Yokahama. I hear of people having the wobble and haven't experience a bad situation on my 2006. A coworker has a 2008 and he states the same thing. We hear of it, but neither experience the problems. I have only used E3 tires in my Goldwing experience which started two years ago. The only problem I had with my E3's was poor handling in rain (or the fear of slippage since I felt it twice and then spooked). Yes, they sing to you in a fast corner, but to me that wasn't an issue. I only had cupping when I rode in the Smokies and used heavy braking for all the corners I ran into hard. By the time I got home 800 miles later, the cupping disappeared. I read up on what causes cupping and figured it was from hard braking and the faster corners. My current front E3 is almost to the wear bars and it has almost 13,000 of my miles on it. Bought the bike in September and no idea how many miles were on the tires when bought. The rear E3 is getting mounted on another rim I bought for a spare....if I want off my CT.

I wonder if frame or something else causes your wobble and tire experience????? You live to far away to test bikes side by side.

I don't track any different on a CT compared to the MT. At first I thought it didn't hold a line in a corner, but that is now gone. Someone said it would take 1-2,000 miles to rub the corners off the CT. I live in flat land IL and didn't run 2,000 miles of corners yet, but the tire doesn't have problems in corners now. I believe I learned the traits is what happened.

I just ran with a group of people this weekend that put a car tire on front of a trike. He called to his wife to "ride the tar snakes" over the cb. I was behind her and followed the same tar snakes and cracks in the road. She said she tracked straight and I had the same feeling. I have tested tar snakes many times and didn't have problems. I heard the E3 is really bad for them too, but I can't agree. What are people calling bad? I would love to compare my bike to someone else's that says the problem is there. Maybe I don't feel problems and they are sensitive to things? I can't answer that yet. I knew I had to try my own runs to make my own decisions. So far great for me. I wonder if something is up with your frame, bearings, something Cyclepath. If you could test two bike of the same tires and such, I wonder what you would experience? You have me curious and someday I hope I can try a comparison myself.

I hear what you are saying with your experience and everything. I don't have anything to offer except my experiences and maybe I can broaden that with time and testing other machines. Seems like it works or it doesn't. Why?? Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
swap bikes for 10 minutes

Is there anyone in the Portland, Oregon or Vancouver to Longview, Washington area with a c/t on there 1800 that would be willing to meet up with me and take a short 10 minute ride on each others bike. That would pretty much tell me if it's just me or the tire. The sooner the better as I am about ready to take this car tire off my wing. I am available on Monday, Tuesday, or Friday of every week but only have about two and a half weeks until I leave for the summer and wont be back until the end of August. I need to make a decision soon. Thanks, David

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
YUP $152 the lowest price going.

I inquired on shipping in "X numbers to get them lower priced, can't.
Minimum order is over 100 tires.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I can't say anything about the 1500 with a CT but my 1800 loves the CTs that i've put on it. My last one was a Firestone Firehawk which fit just fine. The only issues that I've had is because of the difference in manufacturing each tire feels different than the next. For instance, when I moved from my dunlop ct to the firestone ct it felt much different. The only way to describe it really is squishier in the corners. Not enough to make me feel unsecure, just different. When I moved to my current tire, it's a harder ride but less squishy in the corners. I got about 30-35000 miles on my firestone and the only reason I replaced it was the outside edges were at the wear bars and it wouldn't pass inspection. Another thing that I noticed is that it is way easier to put the tire on from underneath as opposed to from the back like normal. You might also need to remove the air from the tire before you put it in place due to some clearance issues on the underside.

·
life is good
1,155 Posts
Very interesting thread. Glad it has been started. Awhile back I posted in another thread about my experience with the c/t on my 2002 1800. It was not good experience. Several people suggested that I might have picked a bod tire for the 1800. I really wanted this c/t thing to work. So I bought a rim off ebay and paid for a yokahama envigor avid run flat. It cost me 168.00 dollars with the shipping. That seemed to be what quite a few 1800 riders are using and they like them. The Hankook optima that I used was 58.00 dollars.
So here is a cut and paste of my experience c/t with the Hankook. I have about 600 miles on the new yokahama now and I do not see much differene in the two. I will leave this tire on the bike for another 1000 miles or so to see if I can "adapt" to something I should not have to adapt to. I am still playing with tire pressure and so far the only psi that makes this tire somewhat usable is 52psi. If I drop down into the forties it really is squishy and wanders all over the place. Hang in there as I will post here again when the jury is in. Please do not get me wrong, this is not a bitch. Just the facts as I see them for me. I really want this c/t thing to work for me but so far, NO GO. Oh yeah, one more thing. A little while ago I replaced the lower triple tree with a billet aluminum one and all balls bearings. My 45mph deceleration wobble was gone. Not even a little shake. I was happy and this was with a worn out junk badly cupped E-3. When I put the new c/t back on my de-cel wobble is back. hmmmmm.

Ok, here are the negatives things i have found with using a car tire on my wing. the tire in question is a Hankook Optimo 195/65/R16. First let me say that at no time did i feel like this I was at any risk to my well being or that i thought that using a c/t on a motorcycle rim was a dangeous thing to do. with that said here goes.

The bad......

It would not track a straight line. wondered from left to right.
It would not hold it's line in a corner.
Tar snakes would cause it to go where ever the they went. if they headed off the road and you were on one you had better be ready to make a change.
The same with road groves.
In the twisties you could feel the transition from straight ahead to leaning into the corners and you had to make it go into the corners and once there you had to make it come out of the corners. you were always either over steering or under steering. Got very tirering by the end of the day.
Traction on dirt roads or gravel was terrible. the tire would ride up on top of the dirt from a dead stop and just spin where the m/c tire would dig in and go.
When pulling off the blacktop onto gravel like going into a camp site with a maybe a 2 inch drop it was very unstable. felt like i was going to tip over. never had that problem with a m/t.
It handled so bad that 45 mile per hr corners were now down to 30 and that was taking your life in your own hands.
The 45 mile per hr. de-celeration wobble was much worse.
Only 11,000 miles to the wear bars and that is with 11/32 dread depth versus 6/32 on a m/c tire.
Now i'm sure i have left out some things here but that should be enough for now.

The good.....

Better load capacity.
Maybe a slightly softer ride.

Just a little about me.
Been riding for 53 years. Been a mechanic all my life, 12 years in a m/c shop, 4 years in a m/c machine shop for custom bike work.
I own ( Green Mountain Vintage cycle restoration and do a few restorations on my own time.
Raced flat track 10 years and moto cross for 5 years and still enter a few races in my age class. The old farts class, hahahahahaa
SO IT AIN'T LIKE I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT. and i don't bitch just for the sake of bitchin. And this is not a bitch, just facts.

So, anybody have any constructive ideas here. I really want this to work.
i had a montesa a long time ago 348 cota trials bike .man that was a sweet bike all the aluminium was polished all the metal was crom paint was a porcha red the seat was black it was very pretty. :)
Cyclepath
i had a montesa a long time ago 348 cota trials bike .man that was a sweet bike all the aluminium was polished all the metal was crom paint was a porcha red the seat was black it was very pretty. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why run a rear tire backwards?

This is a great thread! I've decided to take the darkside plunge with my '98 Aspencade. I ordered an Austone and a BT45. I'm sure the answer to my question is buried somewhere in these forums, but can anybody tell me the theory in reversing a rear tire when using it on the front?

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
This is a great thread! I've decided to take the darkside plunge with my '98 Aspencade. I ordered an Austone and a BT45. I'm sure the answer to my question is buried somewhere in these forums, but can anybody tell me the theory in reversing a rear tire when using it on the front?[/QUOTE

THEY say the belts in the rear tire are put together so they don't separate during hard acceleration forces.Claiming,when used on the front,you have just the opposite,hard BRAKING forces.So that is why some reverse the Rear tire on the front.

Myself,i believe the rear tire typically does endure hard BRAKING forces TOO on the REAR of my bike,so I am one that does NOT reverse it when put on the front of my 1500.I ALSO think the tread is designed to shed water when rolling the in the marked direction as opposed of a reversed direction,but that's MY theory.I posted in a previous post that i have approx 8900 miles on a Michelin Pivot (rear tire on front) but after i checked i have 11000 on it.It did cup some but has since sorta coming out of cupping marks.I am putting a new Metzeler Lazertec on since i ordered one,but after re-checking the Pilot,I think it would go another 11000 miles by the looks of the tread and it performed very well on our 24 day mountain trip last summer.

Anyway,hope you get more opinions on whether to reverse your tire.
I just wanted to tell you how mine worked out.
i

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Rear tire on the front?
Probably work if you mounted it sideways.
:D
Front tires on bikes are designed for braking and side loads (turning).
Like others said acceleration & braking are the rear tires nemesis.
Reverse direction: It's more for tread design for water shed.

To quote a couple politicians: "It just doesn't matter".
;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I live in Canada and don't have access to the Austone. Is there another tire that you would recommend? I have heard of some using a winter tire that is quite expensive but I guess as long as it is a run flat is that right? If i use a run flat should I have a tire monitoring system? What do you all use for that?

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Pit the cost of ONE CT and it's expected mileage to the VAST number of MT it takes to go the same distance.

Is the initial CT cost (some higher than MT's) overall effective?
:?

So far my Austone will make +75K miles (guesstimate).
Had 3 "Elite 3" and averaged 15K miles.
That works out to a 5 to 1 ratio.
x1 Austone $170
x5 "Elite 3" $185-ish
Saving of $740 (and 4 labors)
I LIKE THAT! :banana:

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
So I live in Canada and don't have access to the Austone. Is there another tire that you would recommend? I have heard of some using a winter tire that is quite expensive but I guess as long as it is a run flat is that right? If i use a run flat should I have a tire monitoring system? What do you all use for that?
Do you have a friend, or access to a mail stop in the states?
Would be worth a drive down to pick up an Austone tire, especially if you were making the drive down anyway.

41 - 60 of 367 Posts