Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looks like the day has come, to sell the Ghost. Work for me has almost come to a Halt. so its back to school for me. So, is this a bad time to sell or will it be a worse time in the spring with the economy like its going. :?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

History tells us that Spring time would be the best time to sell as riding season starts. With the economy the way it is, that may not be the case this year. If it were me, I would put it up for sale now. I would rather have a little less for and know that I have the funds in hand then wait.

Sorry that you have to sell the Ghost

Just my humble opinion

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Do a little research and find out what it's worth. Put it on craigslist and ebay, so you get more than just local exposure. Another possibility is having a dealer sell it on consignment. Then you will get a set amount, and not have to hassle with the buyers.

While the economy is down overall, it is still fairly active in various pockets of the country. If at all possible, don't lower your price to the point of having regrets, after it is sold.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I'd like to relate some of my own experience in this regard.

I worked in mining, which was always up and down, and on two occasions we were faced with major slowdown, no guarantee of a job next month and so on. Thinking it was the right and responsible thing to do, on both occasions I rushed to sell off toys, and I did sell them, but not at a good price.

I have had many years to reflect on those choices, and in retrospect I would have done better to hang on to them. Maybe park the bike and not spend anything on it other than to keep it dry and protected etc etc. Ditto outboards and boats. I don't think the cash in hand really made much difference.

Obviously everyone has different circumstances, but it is a buyer's market out there at the moment. Don't give some 'entrepreneur' a steal unless you absolutely have to.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I`m not being forced to sell due to finances. I would use the money to pay off a debt so the wife would not struggle while I spent a year in school. I know things do depreciate, but If I have to take a huge loss then I won`t sell. Its not eating or drinking.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I don't think the Spring could be worse. Maybe better. Recently, I have seen a couple of GL1500s go for less than $3000 here, and they were not rejects. Bad time of year.

Only you will know after placing it in Ebay or Craigslist.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
I don't think the Spring could be worse. Maybe better. Recently, I have seen a couple of GL1500s go for less than $3000 here, and they were not rejects. Bad time of year.

Only you will know after placing it in Ebay or Craigslist.
1500s for less than 3000?! I got to start paying some attention. My financial adviser says, "One man's bad time turns into another's opportunity." Of course he's trying to entice me into investing my pennies now that the market is low and he claims there's lots of good deals out there. I think right now I'd prefer to put my faith in some "Gold" I can sit on:cooldevil:.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

First off Sorry you have to even consider selling your bike, That sucks!!

As for when to sell it, hard to tell, one never knows when or where a buyer will come from.

Maybe do it this way. Wait till spring, maybe by then work will be going again, and you will not have to worry about it.

Kit

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Never a good idea to sell a bike in midwinter though down South where you live the selling price may not vary with the seasons as much as it does in colder climates where a buyer may not be able to ride when he makes the purchase.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Maybe the spring thing would work out best. Might give me a chance to go a different route. Went out to take a quick pic of her and thought I might hold off till then.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

SaltPepper

IF its not a have to sell situation, I would study your local classifieds,Craigslist,E-bay for pricing. Perhaps have a dealer appraisal . Decide on a price you are happy with . Then go ahead and place it for sale at that price . That way you can sell if a buyer comes along at your price or you can sit on it indeffinitely.

·
Premium Member
61,360 Posts
imported post

I've bought and sold 5 bikes on Craigslist in the last 2 years at all different times of the year.. If the price is right and you have the right product, there seems to be someone out there looking...

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I think you all are right. Believe I will post it on craigslist to see if I get any bites, but I will be in no rush to sell until spring, then i may do the e-bay thing. By the way I created an album in the galley with photos I had on hand. click here

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I say keep the bike and let the wife struggle!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I think the spring will be a much better time to sell it at a better price. One reason being that the weather will be warmer and those that want to ride will be chomping at the bit. The other reason is that I doubt gas prices are going to stay where they're at for much longer.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Income Tax Refunds will be coming out soon for alot of people. THats when alot of folks with that so called "free money" gets careless and spends more than the item can really be worth. Just watch ebay when those refunds come put, some pretty stupid bidding. If I was going to sell in the winter then it'd be around Feb. to March, by then they have money in hand. Thats just my view.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

saltpepper wrote:
I`m not being forced to sell due to finances. I would use the money to pay off a debt so the wife would not struggle while I spent a year in school. I know things do depreciate, but If I have to take a huge loss then I won`t sell. Its not eating or drinking.
hear ya on that!!!!!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.