Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Stator wires and regulator connections appear to pass through this-may be some sort of filter but could not easily find it in manual. Seems to be right above PB sensors and near fuel shut off sensor. Jerry H the connector for this component was the additional stator wire connection I was talking about...Is this part present on the LTD?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

SEI and LTD (listed in the title of the post)GL1200 only 1 year made for each bike 85=LTD, 86=SEI

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

asigetic wrote:
What year bike and model ????????????
T'would be an SEi (Special Edition interstate) only made in 1986.:action:

I have no idea what the part is or what it does, sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
asigetic wrote:

I have know idea what the part is or what it does, sorry.
Close but no banana KEN! SEi is an Aspencade model...believe it stands for Special Edition injected!

:banana:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
Ken Bergen wrote:
asigetic wrote:

Close but no banana KEN! SEi is an Aspencade model...believe it stands for Special Edition injected!

Well three out of four ain't that bad is it?:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
wingsam41 wrote:
Ken Bergen wrote:
asigetic wrote:

Well three out of four ain't that bad is it?:ROFL:
I believe YOU'VE got the only Special Edition Interstate!LOL-And get some pics up man! Good Grief - what's with the cow!?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
believe YOU'VE got the only Special Edition Interstate!LOL-And get some pics up man! Good Grief - what's with the cow!?
What cow!?:?
My Interstate is an 84 and as a daily rider the paint is faded and it's dirty, after all given the choice between cleaning/polishing or riding I ride so any pictures would disappoint.

Besides the 84 was special, the cheap knockoffs in 85 to 87 just can't compete.:readit: :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Yes, mine has it, but it is not a connector. It is a sealed black box, rubber mounted, with 3 wires coming out of it, black, green, and red/white. They go into a white connector down and to the left of it. Nothing appears to be burned.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

it is the stereo filter, it has panasonic written on it somewhere, just take it out of line and put the 2 plugs back together

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Mine isnt burned. Back when I was Installing my R/R I noticed a third connector that was overheating with yellow red green and black wires. I thought I remembered the wires running through that component-I will have to pull my shelter and have another look.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

sctrucker wrote:
it is the stereo filter, it has panasonic written on it somewhere, just take it out of line and put the 2 plugs back together
I don't yet know what it is, but there is no way to remove it and connect anything back together. This thing is a dead end. Three wires, one black, one green, and one red/white, go ito it, at a sealed connection. It is an epoxy filled black box. Those three wires do go to a white pastic connector attached to a bracket with several other connectors, then come out the other side and dissappear into the wiring harness. I just spent 2 hours going through wiring schematics, and cannot find it. However, I left my Clymer manual at work, and it has some really good color schematics in it, I will check it tomorrow. I am assuming it has something to do with the charging system, because the 3 wires are the same color as 3 of the wires on the regulator.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
Mine isnt burned. Back when I was Installing my R/R I noticed a third connector that was overheating with yellow red green and black wires. I thought I remembered the wires running through that component-I will have to pull my shelter and have another look.
This thing has red/white, black and green wires going to it, but no yellow. Also, while going through a ton of schematics looking for it, I noticed that the device that gets hot is indeed called a Regulator/Rectifier. It is listed as such in schematics from 3 different sources. I have been told several times that it was ONLY a regulator.

Also, do you know what that rectangular plug is that connects the red/white and green wires. This is also a dead end, about the size of a domino, and heavy gage red/white and green wires connect to it. Other than that it doesn't go anywhere. I did see that in the schematics, but don't remember what it was. I pulled it off, it looked a little corroded, but not burned, so I sprayed some WD-40 on it, and put it back. Neither that part, nor the part you are talking about get hot, and the plastic plug which connects the 3 wires from the mystery gadget to the wiring harness is not burned at all.

All the heat is coming directly from the regulator/rectifier. And it easily gets hot enough to burn you.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
sctrucker wrote:
I don't yet know what it is, but there is no way to remove it and connect anything back together. This thing is a dead end. Three wires, one black, one green, and one red/white, go ito it, at a sealed connection. It is an epoxy filled black box. Those three wires do go to a white pastic connector attached to a bracket with several other connectors, then come out the other side and dissappear into the wiring harness. I just spent 2 hours going through wiring schematics, and cannot find it. However, I left my Clymer manual at work, and it has some really good color schematics in it, I will check it tomorrow. I am assuming it has something to do with the charging system, because the 3 wires are the same color as 3 of the wires on the regulator.
wait a minute, we are talking about 2 different bikes here, i was refering to the sei shown in the first pic, i am not sure about the ltd, i know they are supposed to be the same and the ltd i looked at a couple weeks ago looked the same as my sei............. ok thats enough circles, off to bed

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

I have a SE-i and that isn't on mine, can you post a picture with a closer view of it?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

OK - maybe I should have been more descriptive in my opening post. I am trying to find out two things...
1. Name of part and it's purpose. My thinking originally is that it is some sort of filter. Though I cannot find it in the Honda 86 ETM. Strucker stated it is the radio filter.
2. Trying to establish if part is also present on the LTD.

JerryH-I've known all along that the part you refer to that is getting too hot is the regulator rectifer. How could it NOT be. It has 3 yellow AC wires going in and 2 red DC wires comin out. It also has a black DC wire but that is an input. The only other wire are ground wires. The part you are referring to(mystery part)may be the inline capacitor. On the SEI it has 2 wires going to it red/wht and green.

Strucker-seems you were pretty sure about it being a radio filter. Any manual references yet. Going to check my Supplement next-after coffee.

Rob the Hillbilly-Not sure why your SEi doesnt have it. Then again your SEi has an extra wheel so maybe it's a different model...:cheesygrin: Will post some pics once I have a chance to pull tank-maybe this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

on my bike that piece had 2 sets of wires comming from it they both went to plugs which connected to the harness, i dont remember the colors of the wires or how many were in each "set" but i somehow figured out it was causing my battery to die over night, i tracked down the plugs and discovered they were the same only opposite, so after going to the internet and the local stealership i found it was a filter (the stealership didnt know what its purpose was) i figured it was for the stereo and decided to find out if it would work without it so i hooked the 2 plugs on the harness ends together and everything was fine and my battery drain went away. if you remove the 2 screws holding it on it should have panasonic on it and a part #

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

sctrucker wrote:
on my bike that piece had 2 sets of wires comming from it they both went to plugs which connected to the harness, i dont remember the colors of the wires or how many were in each "set" but i somehow figured out it was causing my battery to die over night, i tracked down the plugs and discovered they were the same only opposite, so after going to the internet and the local stealership i found it was a filter (the stealership didnt know what its purpose was) i figured it was for the stereo and decided to find out if it would work without it so i hooked the 2 plugs on the harness ends together and everything was fine and my battery drain went away. if you remove the 2 screws holding it on it should have panasonic on it and a part #
I'm fairly certain that the wire colors matched pretty closely the regulator connections and may be a filter on the AC wires to prevent radio noise. I'm thinking that one or more stator wires loop through this thing. Like I said I will pull my tank this by weekend and verify. Also coffee just finished brewing-gonna have a cup and open up supplement...:blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

oh, you can bet some of the wireing for the charging system goes through that filter, the plugs for it go directly to the r/r

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

That's pretty much what I was driving at...I snapped that pic while installing new Shindegen voltage regulator. Notice after soldering the 2 connectors at the regulator that there was an additonal frame mounted connector that had started overheating. Connector halves went to this part and on to regulator. Seems as though anyone with an SEi and perhaps a LTD (or even other models for that matter)should perform this connector removal as P.M.
Makes for a total (so far) of 4 connectors that need to be elimnated. Yet another reason I like the idea of straight soldering 3 new yellow wires between regulator and stator. Eliminates the guesswork.
The supplement was of no help. The coffee helped enourmously though-gonna get some more...
I know there are radio repair manuals-perhaps they show the wiring in them. Gonna check my Clymer wiring manuals next. Just seems strange that they omit these connections in the charging system schematic in the Honda ETM-especially if failure of this filter could affect charging...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.