Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

OK hereis the real trip picture collage. I bought a camcorder before we left - wow - wait until you see (I gotta figure it out first)…but for now, my lovely wife has gone through what she sees as “the best” of the pictures we took and I put it into a video. Plays about 15+ minutes – so grab a beverage and take a break when you're able– I think you’ll like it. (PS – for those of you “well travelled” there is one picture significantly out of order – shhhhhh – don’t ask – my babe insists it belongs there…LOL)

MANY thanks to Mel (CJ) and Sandy (Red), John (Jluvs2dive), Glen Davis and the Seattle Chapter of Iron Indian Riders - we had a blast with all of you guys and look forward to riding with you all again.Please let us know if you can make it down our way - we'd love to return the favor and show you around. And I guarantee we’ll be by your way again.

We have over 3,000 digital photos and nearly 600 video clips from this trip - and a lifetime of stories to remember. Hopefully we captured some to share …

Here is the photo collage: http://tinyurl.com/prabwq

OK got it - edit to add this:

Big Horn sheep come right by the motorcycle in Glacier National Park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nPJFj19aEA

Bison come right by the motorcycle in Yellowstone National Park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDNlU9jSqA

Having trouble with the video clips right now – but they will include pans of the parks and wildlife walking right up to and by the bike – and a ride across the 4.1 mile Astoria Bridge! - and a NASTY hailstorm in Sturgis. So, I will try and get them out as soon as I can figure it out.

A couple of notes:

·Thisphoto collage is a big file – 15+ minutes - it may take a while to load – in windows media player format.

·I suffer increasingly as I get older from an initial fear of heights.Once I do something I’m usually OK but that first pass can have my heart in my throat or freeze me!! This impacted me 2 places – Astoria Bridge, and Going to the Sun Road in Glacier, NP. Lots of other high places but for some reason those two bothered me initially. In Glacier I think it was the road construction and lack of guardrails – LOL. Although I did the ride through the park 3 times – each time got a little better! In AstoriaI think it was the single lane soaring quickly over 200 feet in the air over the open space of the spacious Columbia River. Not many photos of it here - but the video will tell the tale - LOL.

·Construction was EVERYWHERE – roads tore up and pilot cars required for hundreds of miles - in all states.At Crater Lake, OR- one **** in a bus style motorhome pulling a car on a trailer was doing about 60mph in a 25mph posted zone that had been recently “chip sealed” and blew out both fog light lenses and pitted my windshield and front faring. Wish I knew and coulda turned around and caught the sucker. “Chip seal” is not something I appreciate and it is used heavily in Oregon and Washington.

·Ride the roads - now – before they deteriorate again – you are paying for it and it is posted telling you so - at each project – that recovery and reinvestment thingy – yeah, right. We rode many miles of freshly paved asphalt that was just a dream. But be careful – they are going so fast that they don’t care how “uneven” they make the pavement. They post it so – hey 4 to 6 inches between the lanes is OK – right? LOL

We hope these few images inspire you to ride to these incredible places - or bring a smile of remembrance to your face. Ride Safe everyone - and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

WOW! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

What an awesome montage. Nice job on the video stitching and what great pictures. Now there is an epic vacation!!!

Thank you for sharing,

Ken

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

Very nice! Great way to end my lunchtime today! You guys got some fantastic shots. This brought back fond memories of somegreat ridesand provided some more inspiration for future rides.:action: Thanks for sharing it with us.

John

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

AWESOME!Thank You! :):):):):):waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

STUNNING,,,,,,,,,,,, absolutely,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,STUNNING !!!!!!!!!!!

You reallly did it right :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

I did reconize the Bear Tooth, although there was a lot of snow when I was there,,,,,,,, butyou still brought backmemories :bowing:

That trip will be etched into your minds forever.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Hey! That one I finally got loaded! Wonderfultrip, wonderful presentation! Thank you so much for sharing! It was a pleasure to meet you both, hope to see and ride with you again someday........

Mel and Sandy

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

Fantastic show, thankyou so much for putting it down with music for us all to share... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

You lucky SOB !!! B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L- !!!!! Great choice of songs too !!!

Weren't you just a bit scared the bison was going to get ticked off for God knows what reason and knock you over ?? I was. When the bison got that close to me, I knew he could knock my Wing over in a heart beat. No problem.

So, do you care to share how long you guys were gone, how many miles, etc. ??

Thanks again for a GREAT video and for sharing.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Great pictures, It brought back a lot of good memories from long ago. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Well - THANKS everyone!! I'm glad you liked it we certainly had the time of our lives. This one will be remembered and felt for a looooooong time.

As far as this....LOL....

hoopdc wrote:
You lucky SOB !!! B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L- !!!!! Great choice of songs too !!!
THANKS

Weren't you just a bit scared the bison was going to get ticked off for God knows what reason and knock you over ?? I was. When the bison got that close to me, I knew he could knock my Wing over in a heart beat. No problem.

Well, somehow- no. We saw Bison like that about a half dozen times in the park - so close you could touch them. That particular one looked into the camera and I did get a brief thought of "well, it is rutting season and here I sit onbig black Goldwing - I hope he doesn't try to headbutt me!!" - which is what they do at this time of year in their dominance battles for mating - we got film of that too from a distance. But no - the heights thingon the Astoria bridge set me off way more than any wildlife encounter. I really felt at peace with all of these animals in their habitats.

So, do you care to share how long you guys were gone, how many miles, etc. ??
We were gone 18 days and did 6,500 miles in that time.
We spent 2 nights in Glacier, 3 in Yellowstone and 3 in Sturgis (Belle Fourche) - all the rest were one night stops. Out ofthe whole tripthe places I would go back and spend more time at are: Columbia River (and Fort Clatsop) to take more time and experience it hopefully in cooler circumstances (our day ranged from 104 to 109 that day and Penny started to show signs of heat stroke late in the day), Lake Crescent in Olympic NP to spend a week reading by the water - one of the most relaxing spots I have seen anywhere, North Cascades to go through again more slowly and absorb more - a phoenomenal park that doesn't get much press down here - but truly magnificent (stay in Winthrop a great old west town and biker friendly). Glacier to do hiking to more Glaciers and Waterfalls - take the boat to hike Grinell Glacierand spend more time at the Many Glacier Lodge and of course Yellowstone to spend a week riding around spending time in meadows at waterfalls and drinking coffee on the porch of the lodge at sunset and seeking out wildlfe encounter opportunities - it is our first NP park in the US and so far as I've seen, the best - it is truly a wonder of creation - and all the rides around there too.

Thanks again for a GREAT video and for sharing.

My pleasure - I'll try to get some more stories out as time allows. Thanks for watching!

Dennis

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Cool videos! That looked like a lot of fun! I guess if one of those guys bump you, you're going down! :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

That was 15 mins well spent, thank you for all the time it must have taken to put it together.

How many miles did you do?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

Fantastic, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Dennis, thanks for sharing your trip with us, it was a pleasure (droooolll) to watch. Ride safe

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
imported post

Thanks for sharing, I can only hope to do a trip like that someday!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

papabee49 wrote:
Dennis, thanks for sharing your trip with us, it was a pleasure (droooolll) to watch. Ride safe
Actually, I'm Dave - Ritchie, but that's OK - I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was too good to keep to ourselves!!! :action:

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,828 Posts
imported post

Dave; What a wonderful trip Thanks! As to the fear of heights, or the fear of falling, problem, the same thing happened to me last month when riding in Idaho, Montana andWyoming. Never happened before to me, anywhere. I also never told anyone. Myproblem was unknown twisties with no shoulder, noguard rails and 1000 ft down. Took me a whole day to recover. Getting old I guess.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Suuuuuwweeet......Maybe one day...Thank you for sharing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.