Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never being one much for cleaning I now find myself detailing my 98 Valkyrie Tour (GL1500) and loving it.

Is it ok to tip the bike onto the frame/bag guards to get better access to the undercarriage and wheels?

Will oil, coolant or fuel sloshing foul anything?

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I wouldn't leave it tipped for long periods of time, and once set back up, I'ld let sit a spell before starting. If high miles, if a chance of much oil slipping by worn rings, I'ld crank with plugs out on low side but this should not happen.

Might smoke a hair on first start like they will if parked on side stand before engine shut off spmetimes.

Otherwise, no difference than if dropped … though no one does that?:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I used to do that all the time with my Schwinn Stingray. Never had a problem.

With a motor bike, however, I think I wouldn't tip 'er more then 90* Something a lot of folks do when changing the back tire.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok sounds good. Is there was any cause for concern with gas pouring into the cylinders?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I lay my 89 on the crash bars to change the rear tire and have never had any issues unless you leave it like for a day or more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ok sounds good. Is there was any cause for concern with gas pouring into the cylinders?
To prevent that possibility you can pull the vacuum line from the fuel petcock, then start the engine and run the carbs out of gas...

I wouldn't worry about oil into the cylinders, if any gets in there at all should be minimal. Might smoke a little on restart, but that will go away quickly.

Going to be doing some work on mine soon, too. The new shifter shaft seal and brace have been sitting on the workbench for far too long. They don't work very well sitting there and I should put them on the bike where they might actually DO something besides collect dust. I figure it will be easier to just tip her over for a nap....

·
Administrator
57,482 Posts
yeah, ditto on that....

I don't think, in fact I know, that the bottom side of my bikes never get cleaned, except to remove any dirt around the drain plug at oil change time.

no can see it, unless they lay down and look, so why bother?

My lawn tractor is the only thing that gets cleaned underneath after use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts