Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

do I have to pull the triple tree off to remove the dog ear and headlight assembly off of my 81 GL 1100 standard?:stumped:

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

No , once you pull down the fork legs hold them in place and slide your legs down thru the ears.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
No , once you pull down the fork legs hold them in place and slide your legs up thru the ears.
That sounds like you need to be a contortionist picasso!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:

On a more serious note, do you mean he needs to release the forks from the triple tree by undoing the bolts and nutsand slide them down some and then slip the ears up and off the forks.:baffled:

I too would be interested since I may be doing this soon to fit a fairing.:)

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

when I put my vetter on the 1100, I just took the headlight bucket out, and swiveled the arms to the center. That pulled them back far enough for the fairing...

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
picasso wrote:
No , once you pull down the fork legs hold them in place and slide your legs up thru the ears.

On a more serious note, do you mean he needs to release the forks from the triple tree by undoing the bolts and nuts and slide them down some and then slip the ears up and off the forks.:baffled:

Didn't think I had to say all that , did you forget to tell him he needed to remove the front wheel etc,etc?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
when I put my vetter on the 1100, I just took the headlight bucket out, and swiveled the arms to the center. That pulled them back far enough for the fairing...
ditto - I've seen a few Vetter installs and this is how they've all looked to me. It also gives you a place to hang the bag that will eventually hold the wiring bundle.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Hey! I thought I was the only moron on this forum!

I want to be unique....and Ferret is taken.......

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well the problem with folding them in is I have already offered them to another member for a good price because he wants to go naked. Just want to help him out like so many have helped me thus far. So that being said I need to pull them off so I can take some pics and send to him.;)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
picasso wrote:

On a more serious note, do you mean he needs to release the forks from the triple tree by undoing the bolts and nutsand slide them down some and then slip the ears up and off the forks.:baffled:

Didn't think I had to say all that , did you forget to tell him he needed to remove the front wheel etc,etc?
Okay... because I think I deserve to be in first place with the "moronic " questions:angel:.... can you tell me, if the bike were on it's centre stand and a small jack under the front of the engine, with the front wheel perhaps hanging over a void, is it possible to just drop both fork legs down some to remove these ears, and even maybe, then put a block under the front wheel and let the jack down to push the forks back up into the tree? :baffled:Does the front brake hoseallow for the sort of movement required without detatching them atthebanjo . :baffled:

Also, has anyone got any suggestions as to how best to house the spagetti junction of wiring that will be left having removed the headlight and joined the wires from the fairing in. :baffled:Maybe something a little neater than a supermarket shopping bag wrapped round it. :stumped:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

You can do that..but you'd need a lot of space if the wheel is one the bike. if the wheel is off you can remove the forks together with fender still on//loosen the bolts of the tree and slide the unit out..then the ears can be removed too. Don't forget the brakes lines...

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Thanks RB, I only ask because I too need to remove those ears and the headlight and I do have the luxury of having a pit in the garage floor, so I can get more than plenty of downward movement on the forks with the wheel still on in theory, so long as the whole thing doesn't drop into the inspection pit!!!!!:shock::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

In 1981, I had a 1978 CB750 that I wanted to put a Vetter fairing on. Rather than pull the forks to remove the ears (permanent turn signal stems out the ear restricted movement inside the fairing)I cut the fork ears at the stems. I didn't care then.

However, in 1994, I realized it was a dumb idea because I ruined the fork ears when trying to return the bike to stock condition.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Okay I finally got around to removing today. We had a sunny 50+ day today so I took advantage of it. I ended up removing the front wheel and fender, and I was able to pull the forks down one at a time to remove the headlight assembly. It took me about 45 minutes. It wasn't as bad as I thought.

:action:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

There you go Knucklebucket, you aren't a moron and others of us will benifit from your question and experience. :clapper:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.