Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my tour, I tend to take along a bit more than .. I mean, some additional ... well, okay... an OBSCENE amount of electronics and gear that the average motorcycle tourist does not even think about taking along. :nerd:

On this tour, I will be doing some software training sessions along the way, to teach owners of the PlasmaCam tables how to use the proprietary DesignEDGE software effectively. So I am bringing along probably ... three computers with me, to use for instructional purposes. Two Microsoft Surface PRO tablet PCs, and an ASUS gaming laptop, spare full size keyboards an the mouses.

I am bringing my iPad and iPhone, of course.

A DJI Mavic PRO drone will accompany me for those nifty "follow me" aerial videos through the canyons, and good close up shots of those distant things in fields that cannot easily be reached by foot.

I have the new DJI OSMO Pocket gimble camera (really cool!), two Go Pro Hero 7 cameras, and a new LUMIX pocket camera (by Panasonic) that requires a college extension course to learn how to operate. The owner's manual is 308 pages ... IN ENGLISH! :cam:

I am taking two new GPS tracking devices, one for the bike, the other for the trailer, for when I leave the trailer behind at a campground or a hotel in a shady part of town. If it is moved or stolen, I WILL find it.

I have two battery operated motion sensors for placing outside of a remote campsite to warn me of approaching people, or bears, or lonely women :ROFL:

I have four rechargeable battery operated mosquito killers that will be placed around the campsite to do their job. Early testing worked WELL here at my home in Kentucky. They really work!

I got tired of scraping my face every morning, and I am not the 'Grizzly Beard Guy,' so a nice electric shaver is packed.

The motorcycle has a two-camera 1080p DVR with a front and rear camera that constantly records while the bike is running, with Wi-Fi downloads of the videos to any smart device. Completely cool!

I bought a portable power unit that will give me 5vdc, 12vdc and 120vac power. This will be charged off of the bike while it is moving. I also added a marine deep cycle battery in a box on the tongue, and a 750 watt inverter in the trailer. Yes, it adds a bit of tongue weight, but I usually run that a bit heavier than average too.

For movie nights I have a nice QUMI HD pocket LED projector by Vivitek that will double as a large monitor for training. A large white shower curtain with the rings acting as weights at the bottom will serve as the screen. No movies on windy nights.

There is a wireless Bluetooth speaker from Sam's Club for music, and a Black & Decker cordless screwdriver/drill for working on the bike. Hey, I can't do the hundreds of screws Honda used to hold this thing together with my hands. My twin brother Arthur Itis objects!

Joe

·
Administrator
57,354 Posts
Joe,
I thought that I was the world's worst at hauling along electronic junk, er, uh, valuable accessories to my life.

the Tornadoes chased us down to the cellar last night, I counted six laptops, and about as many backup USB HDDs that were packed in a separate case.

I have an OliveIP LTE 4g modem that gives us our Internet, love that thing. It goes where we go, and we have 4g where ever we stop, or while we are traveling if in the Suburban. it is powered by a 200 watt inverter.... leaving it on all night does not even move the Suburban's battery 0.1 volt!!!
I had been worried that leaving that on all the time would leave us stranded in the mornings... nope, does not faze a car battery. In fact, I have a 1500 watt USP for the office PC stuff, when the tornadoes chased up out of the house, I left the LTE modem running on the UPS, with everything else shut down.

after six hours, the UPS front panel display did not show any change from 100% full charge.

if you like Internet on the go, give these guys a call and mention my name.
www.OliveIP.com
really great folks, you would like their services I do believe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To make sure my personal drug (Internet Service) is available, I have my iPhone, my iPad with a cellular DATA plan, and I just purchased the Skyroam SOLIS Hot Spot router, which I assume is very similar to your OliveIP device. I also carry my AT&T Mi-Fi cellular Hot Spot device, so I think I am covered.

I also learned that there are vast areas of Canada and the road to Alaska that have no cell service. So if I crash into a moose, or roll into a ditch, or get mauled by a grizzly bear, and I can move AT ALL, I have a Garmin InReach Satellite communication device that has text message capability, GPS location and an SOS button that calls in the cavalry.

Joe

·
Administrator
24,335 Posts
Did you bring a change of clothes? :ROFL:

·
Administrator
57,354 Posts
A DJI Mavic PRO drone will accompany me for those nifty "follow me" aerial videos through the canyons, and good close up shots of those distant things in fields that cannot easily be reached by foot.
Joe

Question? how fast is that drone? e.g., how fast can you ride and it still tag along with you?

I am taking two new GPS tracking devices, one for the bike, the other for the trailer, for when I leave the trailer behind at a campground or a hotel in a shady part of town. If it is moved or stolen, I WILL find it.

What type GPS devices? SPOT trackers? or something else?
I am very curious on this, and would love to get a couple of 'cheap trackers'

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Question? how fast is that drone? e.g., how fast can you ride and it still tag along with you?
The Mavic PRO can move at 40 MPH in still air. Of course if it is fighting a headwind, then it is slower, and a tailwind can take it to 60 or better, depending on the speed of the wind! It has a 28 minute flight time and a 4.5 MILE range but I would never send it that far away. I have a VERY tiny GPS tracking device that uses a T-mobile SIM card on a $3.00 per month DATA plan. I zip tie it to the frame of the drone. If the drone goes down, I call the number, and a map is returned with the (approximate) location of the tracker, so I can have a chance to retrieve the drone. Geeky enough for you? :ROFL:

What type GPS devices? SPOT trackers? or something else?
I am very curious on this, and would love to get a couple of 'cheap trackers'
I selected the STI GL300 Real-Time GPS Tracker

Plans start at $25.00/month for once per minute tracking, and only while the unit is moving. They offer 30 second tracking for $35/month and 5 second tracking for $45/month. NO contracts. Start and end it at will. No startup fees!

I bought one for my bike, and the other for my trailer, and will only turn on the trailer tracker when it is separated from the bike.

The internal battery is advertised to last two weeks. You can also power it from a larger battery via a standard USB cable with a 5vdc source, or hard wire it to your bike for endless power.

A brief initial test riding around my area was awesome. I will use these trackers to plot daily routs and upload the maps with the route overlays. The route shows as a red line with directional arrows embedded. With the BASIC plan, the 30-second tracking shows straight lines from ping to ping, so you won't get that sexy trace of the Tail of the Dragon, but it WILL show you where you bike is every 30 seconds. It has a few other nice features. Check it out for yourself.

I also have the LiveViewGPS G5 PRO device. I used to have that activated, and it works WELL, but if I stop the service, it costs $140.00 to start it up again. The monthly plan is $35.00 with no contract. It has a TEN day reserve battery, and 10 second pings. It must be able to "see" the satellites, so on my last bike, I drilled two holes :surprise: and mounted it to the right fairing cover. It looked "factory" ... just another black box on a black fairing. I did not activate that device for this tour.

Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have two of these Mini A8 GPs trackers that I use for my drones. It takes the T-Mobile SIM card on a $3.00/month DATA plan and has its own phone number.

https://smile.amazon.com/Diymore-Locator-GPS-Tracking-Tracker/dp/B071YCK48Q/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=GSM%2FGPRS%2FGPS+TRACKER&qid=1558709925&s=gateway&sr=8-16

It works, but at a level you might expect for the price. The internal battery is only good for about a dozen location pings, or 12 hours before it dies. You call the phone number assigned to the SIM card and hang up after the "leave a message" response, and in about three or four minutes you will receive a text message with a map, showing the GPS coordinates of the device, or at least where it was when it responded. It is VERY TINY.

I also have ... :nerd: ... the ABLEGRID TK102 GPS tracking device. It also takes a T-Mobile SIM card and works the same way. It is larger and it seems to respond faster (15 - 30 seconds) It has a larger internal battery that MAY last a full day or two.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bestcompu%C2%AE-RealTime-Tracker-Vehicle-Tracking/dp/B01ISJHZWU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=ablegrid+TK102&qid=1558710527&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

These all work the same way. They "ping" a latitude and longitude to a cell tower, and the message is relayed to you with a Google Map display of the coordinates, and no further information. I strongly suggest that if you use either of these two devices, you provide constant power to them from the bike's battery via a USB cable, so they can be more reliable.

Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The nice thing about a more expensive unit (you get what you pay for) is that in the case of something like the G5 PRO from LiveViewGPS, it has a website with it's own map.

You can draw a "geofence" around an area, or several areas, and a text message will be sent out if you cross any fence in either direction, in or out. So you can draw circles around your relative's homes at say a 50 mile radius. When you cross into their geofence, you can set the site to automatically send a text to your loved ones ... "Joe is now within 50 miles of your home" or any message yo choose.

It will also alert any phone(s) to the device moving OUT of the geofence, so you can set a fence for your new teenage driver to run around town, and if he or she drives out of that fence, you will receive an alert with the location of the tracker. The G5 PRO can also shut down the ignition, honk the horn, unlock doors, etc. It is more expensive, and the monthly service is more, but the services are fantastic!

Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joe,

the Tornadoes chased us down to the cellar last night, I counted six laptops, and about as many backup USB HDDs that were packed in a separate case.
I am not trying to 'one up' you, but I truly have 34 computers in my house. Only 4 to 6 of them are connected and running at any time, but they are all used now and then, for various tasks.

Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you bring a change of clothes? :ROFL:
Funny you should ask! Yes, I finally defaulted to packing one week of clothes, but I gave SERIOUS consideration to not bringing outer clothing at all. Just socks and boxers! :surprise:

The original plan for this tour, was to stop off at Wally World or Target or wherever ... every few days and buy clothes as needed. Jeans, T-shirts, a 'hoodie,' etc. After wearing them for a day or two (or three), I would donate them to the local drop box for the homeless, and go buy new stuff.

This may sound crazy, but think about it... You take clothes with you. you have to feed washing machines with quarters to clean them. You have to buy soap and softener, and maybe even bleach. You have to stop for an hour or longer at a laundromat every several days. You have to have a separate place for the clean vs soiled clothing. And you are wearing the same thing in EVERY photograph!

By purchasing inexpensive clothing and donating it, you save the time and the money, and the receipts for the donated clothing are TAX DEDUCTIBLE :wink2: When you look at the big picture, it almost makes perfect sense.

On this 180-day tour, if the jeans and T-shirts and outer clothing are used for three days on average, that is 60 different sets of clothing purchased. 60 x $15 = 750.00. On a 180 day tour, if you do laundry once a week, that is 25 trips to the laundromat, each costing ... $12.00 ??? By the time you buy the small containers of soap and softener and bleach, and feed the washers and dryers.... That is $300.00. So on a six month tour, I can (nearly completely) avoid the laundry circus by making a simple $500.00 donation to charity!

I just don't think I have it in me to donate boxers and socks, but you know, if you soak them in a little Woolite and let them dry ... :rollingeyes:

Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For an additional camera option :cam: I just ordered the INSTA 360 ONE X 360 Action Camera.

I watched several You Tube videos about this camera, and decided that I want the option to take photos and videos in this new format.

Joe

·
Administrator
24,335 Posts
Funny you should ask! Yes, I finally defaulted to packing one week of clothes, but I gave SERIOUS consideration to not bringing outer clothing at all. Just socks and boxers! :surprise:

The original plan for this tour, was to stop off at Wally World or Target or wherever ... every few days and buy clothes as needed. Jeans, T-shirts, a 'hoodie,' etc. After wearing them for a day or two (or three), I would donate them to the local drop box for the homeless, and go buy new stuff.

This may sound crazy, but think about it... You take clothes with you. you have to feed washing machines with quarters to clean them. You have to buy soap and softener, and maybe even bleach. You have to stop for an hour or longer at a laundromat every several days. You have to have a separate place for the clean vs soiled clothing. And you are wearing the same thing in EVERY photograph!

By purchasing inexpensive clothing and donating it, you save the time and the money, and the receipts for the donated clothing are TAX DEDUCTIBLE :wink2: When you look at the big picture, it almost makes perfect sense.

On this 180-day tour, if the jeans and T-shirts and outer clothing are used for three days on average, that is 60 different sets of clothing purchased. 60 x $15 = 750.00. On a 180 day tour, if you do laundry once a week, that is 25 trips to the laundromat, each costing ... $12.00 ??? By the time you buy the small containers of soap and softener and bleach, and feed the washers and dryers.... That is $300.00. So on a six month tour, I can (nearly completely) avoid the laundry circus by making a simple $500.00 donation to charity!

I just don't think I have it in me to donate boxers and socks, but you know, if you soak them in a little Woolite and let them dry ... :rollingeyes:

Joe

Good point. Might I suggest getting some tight fitting underwear though like underamour, loose fitting drawers tend to bunch up and get uncomfortable. Wal Mart has their own brand pretty cheap. You can take wash them out and let dry overnight and your good to go again.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
The Walmart boxer briefs are great. I use them to hold things in place because of the hernia harness I have to wear. Do not want to do surgery again as the one Feb 1, 2019, resulted in 3 code blue (crash cart) events due to bleeding out. 12 units of blood, 3 units of plasma and gallons of saline solution and antibiotics plus a 2nd surgery to control bleeders. 13 days in the hospital. The whole process made my chest hurt and black and blue due to whatever they did to make me come back. It is scary to wake up to a room full of medicos. It was no picnic for me but an (s)HELL of a time for Estella.

Have thought about some undies such as Duluth but being price conscience we have not tried any.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point. Might I suggest getting some tight fitting underwear though like underamour, loose fitting drawers tend to bunch up and get uncomfortable. Wal Mart has their own brand pretty cheap. You can take wash them out and let dry overnight and your good to go again.
Yeah, that may be worth a try. Men's underwear is not really a topic for social situations though. :ROFL:

Joe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Joe,
I thought that I was the world's worst at hauling along electronic junk, er, uh, valuable accessories to my life.

There is a difference between "junk" and "stuff":

"Stuff" is the junk you keep, and "Junk" is the stuff you throw away...

·
Magic Moderator
4,206 Posts
I am not trying to 'one up' you, but I truly have 34 computers in my house. Only 4 to 6 of them are connected and running at any time, but they are all used now and then, for various tasks.

Joe

Does each computer have a different operating system?
I have 5 laptops and each has a different OS. A vintage Apple G4 PowerBook with the Apple OS, 2 running Linux Peppermint9 and Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, 2 running Windows 7 and Vista.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts