Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Last year I installed Dave Campbell's Electric Harness on my GL1100 1982 standard (17K miles). The bike ran very strong after the installation, then some months later started blowing the 3 amp fuse that is in the harness. Dave said it had to be the spark generator units OKI MPS-200 or the pulse generator. I purchased some used units off ebay but found they were melted out in back. I have read in these forums where that it does not necessarily mean that these units are in death throws and some have used the same for years. I installed the two units, and she came back to life no blown fuses, knowing the cost of these units, I thought I'd change out the originals with one of the new to me units, till I found the bad original. After going through about a half dozen 3 amp fuses, I found that no combination that used one of my originals would work. Bike ran fine with the two new used units (melted out in back)! Do these spark units fail in pairs or is there more going on here?
Also I have run into two companies that make replacement spark generators for the OKI MPS-200. I will include these two hyperlinks. Does anyone know about these replacements, and if they are available from a distributor in the US. Has anyone used these or do they know of some way to have these rebuilt or repaired? I plan on installing the new melted out units on the bike for now. I've read several opinions that these could be refilled with either epoxy or silicone. Has anybody had experience doing this? Which is better? Can you use a silicone RTV? Here are the two hyperlinks
http://www.pazon.com/ignition-system/sparkunit-set-honda4.html
http://members.chello.nl/p.fijlstra/uk_pr_mt1_2.htm

Any info you have on these is greatly appreciated. Thank you:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't think there's much in those units other than a power transistor and a bit of supporting components. Rather than those expensive units I'd go with your 'new' ones and look for a spare pair on eBay.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
imported post

I too would like to see a answer to this question, as I am at much the same juncture. So I will bump this thread rather than starting a new one.

I also found the pazon replacements as the only new units to get, and wonder why the sudden melt in both of mine.

mine have not yet failed but I am not wanting to be broke down along any rode either.

ARKnapp was asking for some bad mps-200's to see about making or fixing sets in another thread but I don't see any evidence in the forums that that ever was done. I have sent him a pm with no reply yet too.

Has any one found the cure all fix all for the mps-200?

Tib

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.