Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
alex80wing
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought a set of spark ignitors off of ebay ($75) that came off a 83 GL1100 with 74000 miles. The print on the face is the same as what is on my 80. What I am wondering is if they are the same? The wires on both of them are the same (number and color). The only difference between the two is the color of the tape wrapped around the wires. Is that to distingish between original and aftermarket? As you can see in the picture, mine are melting away pretty good and I figured I better get another set before mine are dead in the water and I am stuck in the middle of Kansas on my way to Las Vegas.

Thanks for any info guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

I have discovered years ago that these items are bullet proof. Hook them up and start the bike, if it runs OK then they are OK. In fact I would suggest that the older ones are still good. The connections are bad, clean the wires and connector male and female and clean the area where they mount.

The dripped out tar can be fixed with some duxseal, pressed into the back.

·
alex80wing
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies. The original ones still work Knapp and the connections look pretty good. I am just worried about how the tar is melting out of them. Since I have the bike in pieces right now I'll take all electrical connections apart, clean best I can and see if that makes a difference when I get her back on the road.
What is duxseal? Never heard that term before. Is that a another name for chaulking?
Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Since they work you will want to re-seal them to keep moisture out duxseal is easiest, like kids plasticene (sp) . Can be bought in a 1 kg roll in plstic at any good electrical supplier, it is a dielectric but in a form that can be shaped and put in where the tar has left, I ve been using it in the trade (electrician) for 45 years. It can seal vacuum leaks, solve pressure leaks but need mechanical back up. Made by GE in the states. Keep the roll covered since it keep it from dirt contaminating the roll,, one of the best tricks of the trade, as a dielectric Iv'e used it in 600 V applications, 12 volt application sealing a master cylinder vac leak and used it to make a template then machine the steel to the template. It never hardens, Duxseal made by GE. It may be package differently now. Do a searck on google.com, sold in 1 and 5 lb package, at less than $4 a lb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.