Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Picked up a 91SE with 197,000 miles that runs and rides great for 1500 dollars. I live in North East Wisconsin so I've not really gotten it out much. Just picked it up and compared to my 06 I had some questions:

1)It didnt come with a CB even though it was an SE. When I searched it appeared that was a dealer option, is that correct? or do I possibly not have an SE? I mean it says SE on it, has cornering lights, 2 tone paint and cruise. I couldnt really tell in 91 what was options and what was standard.
2). When I apply the brakes, the center set of brake lights "wig wag" or oscillate back and forth. Is that normal? I think not!? I dont like it. Did the SE trunk spoiler always have a nice LED string in it or do you feel that is aftermarket?
3). THe 1500's seem to have 6 fairing vents vs the 06's 2. l dont remember my 06 vents doing anything at all, while the 91 blasts air out. I see they have sliders on them, is that to bring in warm air? It doesnt so I didnt know if I should fix that.
4). It came with cruise but the clutch lever doesnt cancel it, and the revs will slowly come up. Is that a problem or is that normal?
5). I slowly brought it up to about 85 but the RPM's in overdrive still seem highish. Is that OK? Is it perfectly OK to ride it nice and steady at 90-95 on some of those western freeways? (I know cruise only goes up to 80). I dont want to hurt a motor with this many miles. Honestly it felt rock steady at that speed and really runs beautifully. I know all of the maintenance I should do and will do in spring. Just curious about engine speeds more than MPH speeds.

I'd post some pictures but my Iphone camera is dead until I grab a new phone next week.

Thanks folks!! Impressive machine still.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should say I live in NW Wisconsin (near Duluth, MN). When I pull clutch lever with cruise, that is when the revs rise slowly, they dont quickly spike. The cruise operates normally otherwise. I didnt mean to make it sounds like it keeps accelerating. And finally my question about cruising at 90 is more of a gear ratio question. I'm assuming this is OK to do.

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
I can't answer all of it, not sure if the SE always came with CB but I thought they did.
Someone has added a brake light modulator, most think it's a good thing.
Someone may have disconnected the wires to the clutch switch because the cruise wouldn't set, lever not returning all the way or worn bushing.
Don't worry about the RPMs, it won't hurt it and nothing you can do about it anyway.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,881 Posts
5). I slowly brought it up to about 85 but the RPM's in overdrive still seem highish. Is that OK? Is it perfectly OK to ride it nice and steady at 90-95 on some of those western freeways? (I know cruise only goes up to 80). I don't want to hurt a motor with this many miles. Honestly it felt rock steady at that speed and really runs beautifully. I know all of the maintenance I should do and will do in spring. Just curious about engine speeds more than MPH speeds.
End-Quote:

you are just going to have to get used the RPMs at speed.
#1, it does not hurt the engine at all, I have ridden my '94 and '98 flat out, all day long with the throttle at max.... the MPH depended on the headwinds at the time, both of mine had that 4x8 sheet of plyboard called a Tulsa Tall windshield, hated it... changed over to Madstad, much better and the bike cruises easier too.

there is a mod to fix that cruise speed limitation, reverse the wires for 4th and 5th gears where they go into the ECM. the reason that works, is the Speed Limiter uses the Tachometer to sense the "limit", and since the bike will run almost as fast in 4th gear, as it will in5th gear, the switch lets the bike run at close to 100 with the cruise set.

here is the fix:

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
900 Posts
there is a mod to fix that cruise speed limitation, reverse the wires for 4th and 5th gears where they go into the ECM. the reason that works, is the Speed Limiter uses the Tachometer to sense the "limit", and since the bike will run almost as fast in 4th gear, as it will in5th gear, the switch lets the bike run at close to 100 with the cruise set.
Actually, the 4th and 5th gear sensor wires get swapped at the Cruise Control box under the seat, not the ECM, but outside of that John is correct!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I dont mind the RPM's at all. Somewhere, and I only saw it once, someone had said not to bring it up to redline in normal acceleration on 15's. Not always, but lots of times I would get pretty high in the revs on my 18 before shifting, especially downshift authoritative passes. I think for the price I paid I'll just ride the dang thing and fix issues as they break, keeping up with the prescribed mx too. I'm still very curious about the vents in the fairing. The manual says putting the slider down lets warm air out. Is that really true? Maybe that's something I can fix if it used to do that. I'm always riding in freezing cold weather where I'm at.
I'll look into that Madstad shield. This one didnt come with the vent, and possibly was aftermarket.
Nate

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,998 Posts
The CB was not standard on the early SEs.
The LEDs in the trunk spoiler are standard.
I'm pretty sure the 15s have a rev limiter.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,881 Posts
the 1500s definitely have Rev Limiters,
I have pushed it in 4th gear many times to prove that for a fact....

while I was chasing a jock strap on a Ninja up Mt. Palomar in Calif.....
he kept looking back at me, like "how in the hell" ?

I pulled into the Restaurant parking lot before he got off his bike :cool:

he wouldn't talk to me, just turned around and with a frown.

·
Premium Member
70,273 Posts
Hallo Natter2002

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts