Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my "brand new" ASUS FX705GM laptop bit the dirt this morning.
last night it was working just fine, no isues.
I closed the lid and went to sleep.

about noon, I opened the lid and the display was horrible, unable to distinguish anything.
did a control-Alt-Backspace to reboot the Linux desktop to no avail.

would not answer the mouse, or the kybad, or the menu buttons....
so I used BIOS to power it down, and restarted it.

nothing but gibberish on the screen.....
Booted up Mint 19.3 Cinnamon from the flash drive and everything is where it should be, all of the files and folders are good.
Did a Timeshift restore back to where it was 14 days ago, and it still won't boot up normally.

So, I did a fresh Install to over-ride the SSD and start all over.
it still won't boot up.....

Boots up into Win10 just fine, boots up on the flash drive just fine, so it must be the SSD has crashed big time.

have a brand new 1TB SSD on the shelf, so I guess that is the next step.

Lucky it has two separate SSDs in it, one for Windows, and the 2nd one for Linux.

all of the data is backed up and current.... just a super PITA....

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
So I guess it's neither old nor faithful.

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
I guess an SSD goes bad? :unsure: I'm still using platters, I got some low mileage ones from a computer shop when they upgraded new laptops to SSD's.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 10 year old laptop that has a spinning platter,
Feels like it will never boot.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
Never had a SSD fail, there'e about 14 of them in service in various computers here now. A few of them have been "spinning" for over 10 yrs and running 100GB virtual machines on them. But these are all the 2.5" SATA drives, not the little m2.SATA sticks.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well,
I never had one fail before either and won't know for sure until I replace it.

I have now reinstalled the software twice and it keeps crashing.

Updated the BIOS last night with the latest version released just 30 days ago.

Going to install a 1tB SSD that I already have on hand. The 128gB was getting to about 75 % full so that was getting close anyway.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Never had a SSD fail, there'e about 14 of them in service in various computers here now. A few of them have been "spinning" for over 10 yrs and running 100GB virtual machines on them. But these are all the 2.5" SATA drives, not the little m2.SATA sticks.
Well, the 1 TB SSD is installed and the problem did NOT go away.... Instead of rewriting what was wrong, I am going to just reprint what I wrote in the Mint Forum trying to figure this all out.... So, I am going to say, that the little 120mB SSD is probably okay... but I'm not putting it back in to find out
---------------

Oh My Garsh!!!

It is fixed, it will now shut down completely in less than 5 seconds w/o errors!!!

It has been a painful road to get here, but I finally found out what is going on.

It was because my Internet connection is thinner than a straw….

I liken this to trying to drink a heavy, thick Malted Milk Shake through one of those tiny little Coffee Swizzle stick straws. It can’t be done, you have to resort to a spoon.

Every time I tried to let the Upgrade Manager run, it would crash.

I thought about that hard for a while, turned to my Kindle eReader and watch my hero Sheriff resolve a thick murky murder case, picking up on tiny little wisps of clues here and there….

I got to thinking, “what if” the problem is the OS does not have a complete mix of modules? Update Manager kept showing me that there are 300 plus files that have to be downloaded to fully get from the scratch ISO release to the Current State of the Art package.

So, the Detective in me, decided to find out which one of those modules is the one that is crashing the song and making such horrible music….. Yup, I UnSelected all of the modules to be Upgraded, and then clicked on 3 at a time, leaving the Kernel and its’ required headers as the very last thing to download.

That took hours literally….. I could click on 3 or 4 files that I knew would be small and click INSTALL and watch to see which one of them crashed while trying to Upgrade the system.

I think I must have read half of my Detective Thriller before that list got down to just the Kernel and its’ support files, 3 total boxes to click on. So far, nothing had caused a crash.

Well, the last 3 files downloaded and Upgrade Manager told me I need to Restart the PC…. My experience in the past has proven to me, that doing RESTART on a brand new Fresh Install is fraught with a lot of tears…. The screen goes blank and it just hangs, and you don’t know WTH is going on?

I mentioned that I had removed “Quiet Splash” from Grub earlier, I needed to know where things were getting bollixed up, and I do NOT ever click on RESTART anymore. I shut it down so that I can see if it makes it all the way to Power OFF…

I was extremely pleased after the long, painful, and arduous task of applying 300+ upgrades in tiny little sips of Chocolate Malt size, that the Text on the Screen marched right down to the words [c] Shutdown …… [/c] and Holy Cow, the keyboard lights went OFF and the laptop was indeed shutdown peacefully and went to bed like it should.

I waited for a minute absorbing what I had just seen, and pressed Power ON and watched the Text scrolling up the screen….. Lordy what a long drug out affair that was…. But it finally displayed the Desktop without having a convulsion, No Errors, No Strikes, Home Safe!!! and the Game is Won. :)

My laptop is now back to basic fully upgraded condition, boots fast in less than 20 seconds, will shutdown in less than 5 seconds…. I have a keyboard Shortcut Cntl-Alt-O with the Command [c] Shutdown Now [/c] so that I can easily have it shutdown w/o me using a mouse to get to that point.

Now the OS is finally stable, does what it should, and I can progress on reading my Notebook and apply the little Tweaks here and there until it is [c] My Own Again [/c]

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
Was it a bad update that disagreed with the computer? I only select the ones I need and ignore the rest. I have a 'Test Drive' Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon and it disagrees with the Dell.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always take all the updates, the problem was the extremely low signal strength from the Wireless carrier, the bandwidth is only about 5Mbps for downloads, and the Upload is only 0.200 Mbps....

which is so slow, that it is impossible for me up load pictures... takes almost 5 minutes to upload once pix. That was causing the Update Manager to crash, because it could not spit out enough data, fast enough, for the servers to respond... they would timeout.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
Yikes! You've been Throttled!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yikes! You've been Throttled!
Believe me,
I am completely convinced of that fact.

I can get downloads up to as high as 20-25 Mbps during quiet hours, around 0200-0800 hrs.
but in the evenings during Prime time, we can't upload anything.

I have a new 9dB gain, Omni directional antenna to put up on the roof of the house. there is a Tripod there already from when I experimented with ViaSat for Internet... told them to leave it there because of the holes it would leave if they removed it..... Hopefully, the higher antenna will improve the Signal Strength enough for the LTE modem to give me more bandwidth.

as of right now, the LTE modem is laying on my office desk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts