Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was tooling down a nice road through southeast Texas swamps when the engine went dead. The smoke billowing from the left side panel helped me zero in on the problem.

The old factory installed plastic fusable link holder had crumbled and failed. I stripped all the wires with my pocket knife and twisted them together. Rode the 150 miles home. I replaced it with a 30 amp inline AGC fuse. I ran that one for about ten months then one night about midnight I was a little drunk on a distant farm road and again the lights suddenly went dark and the engine quit. Again the holder had melted at the fuse and it's spring had pushed it apart with it's molten plastic. Even as drunk as I was, I tied the wires together and made it home. I put a giant horseshoe GM type fuse and holder there. It failed in another six month's riding. Same way, lots of smoke.
I put a resettable circuit breaker there with soldered connections. Then sold the bike.

Has anyone come up with a reliable alternative to the factory main fuse? I sure as hell haven't. I've got another old one which will be needing attention soon. I guess I'll replace it with something industrial.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Get a 30 amp fuse holder at the parts store that takes the square auto fuses. solder an eyelet to each pigtail and use screws that hold in the dog bone fuse to attach it.

I can get you a pic later. Thats what I did on mine.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Ditto Ginsco but sounds like you already did that .
Your idea with the resettable circuit brkr. should suffice .
If you go with the auto. style fuse be sure the fuse holder is tough enough to handle the current.
Do not use the inline spring type with glass fuse as they heat up to much at 30 amps.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

donlaubach wrote:
And don't drive drunk! The fuse was telling you that
+1 Drinking and driving no mixing. Period.

Don't use resettable circuit breaker unless it's specified for use out in the elements otherwise rust and corrosion can cause it to stick and not trip when it's supposed to. Breakers are mechanical devices and subject to corrcoion etc. So are fuses and they may fail causing an open circuit but even a corroded old fuse willopen at it's rated amperage purty much every time preventing overload. In other words it won't fail in such a way that will allow overload to the bikes wiring.

I am not talking about fuse holder meltdown which occurs from a poor connection on a high amp circuit.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,761 Posts
imported post

I would have tracked down what was putting the load on the circuit. But the drinking and riding will probably take care of all those issues anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.