Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I joined back in 2009 because I had a '75 that I needed to learn more about. Wish I would have restored it as it was in running condition when I bought it for $400. However, I was all gung-ho on using the front end for a CB750 mod. . . which I did. And now, after all these years, I bought an '86 Interstate. So I will be drilling the archives to answer my questions. Any brief advice would be welcome as I plan on doing most of the work myself. I am self-taught and NOT a natural mechanic. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
897 Posts
Dennis! - you can't just cut in line like that! - get behind ME.

GW-MFR, that bike really looks nice, - What could it possibly need? It must be a low mileage bike, where did you find it?

Reactions: GW-MFR

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dennis! - you can't just cut in line like that! - get behind ME.

GW-MFR, that bike really looks nice, - What could it possibly need? It must be a low mileage bike, where did you find it?
My college friend's father bought it new and put the first 40K on the clock. Then he sold it to his son who put another 5K on in about 7 years. I bought it from him last fall. I am getting her new sneakers very soon. Tread on front slim and on back okay. Unsure of age of rubber though so I will put two on at once. I just tossed 3 oz of BG 44K Fuel treatment as it runs fairly smooth but I detect a slight repetitive hesitation with moderate throttle. If I give it a good crack you can hardly notice. I suspect usual "gunk" deposits from the ethanol and maybe from not much running in a while. And the right rear brake/turn plastic was bumped at some point and is cracked on the corner. Not open but if I don't look into it moisture may present trouble. Also I have more reading to do on periodic maintenance and replacement. Timing belts around 50K or so?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'd do the belts now, mainly due to being 34 yr old belts -nevermind the miles-, but also since these days riding is generally discouraged it is a perfect time for maintenance projects.

Reactions: GW-MFR
1 - 9 of 9 Posts