Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. For those who haven't seen me on other forums, just want to say hello. I thought I would stop in here occasionally to keep in touch with the folks who have 1200's since I have a 86 Aspy that I have owned since 89. Even tho I may have to sell it (arthritis is a bi***) I have a very warm spot for it. It has treated me well.

Anyway, hello to all and let's go for a ride.

Al

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
:welc: Al,

Glad to have you here... Well, old age or not, at least your still riding - me too and I'm 73!!

Les

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have U with us.
Keep your faithful Wing and get an Insta-trike or Voyager unit.

Well, the problem isn't in the legs. I already have a 1800 trike.

And an 1800 2 wheeler. And a 78 2 wheeler. See a pattern here? :laugh:
Unfortunately, they all have a clutch and my hands are starting to be a problem. My thoughts are that maybe I should sell off the herd and start over with something auto-shift. I certainly can't justify just adding another bike. Not and stay married. >:)

Anyway, my 86 is here in Fl. with me and I'm thinking that would be a good place to start. But who knows?

Al

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:welc: Al,

Glad to have you here... Well, old age or not, at least your still riding - me too and I'm 73!!

Les

Ah, if only...........................I vaguely remember being 73. But then, I vaguely remember lots of things.:laugh::laugh:

Just noticed your location. We are almost neighbors. I am up by the Hernando airport.

Al

·
Administrator
22,302 Posts

Unfortunately, they all have a clutch and my hands are starting to be a problem. My thoughts are that maybe I should sell off the herd and start over with something auto-shift. I certainly can't justify just adding another bike. Not and stay married. >:)

Anyway, my 86 is here in Fl. with me and I'm thinking that would be a good place to start. But who knows?

Al
You sound like the perfect candidate for one of those new clutch-free "Wings.

·
Magic Moderator
4,499 Posts

Al
They have an electric shifter available, that might be the way to go.
http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/honda-electric-shifters.asp

·
Registered
379 Posts
How does that electric shifter work? I see the solenoid for the shifter but how does it work the clutch. That is what Oldage is talking about and something I can relate to. I went to the Pingel site but it says absolutely nothing about the clutch.

·
Magic Moderator
4,499 Posts
How does that electric shifter work? I see the solenoid for the shifter but how does it work the clutch. That is what Oldage is talking about and something I can relate to. I went to the Pingel site but it says absolutely nothing about the clutch.
According to what I found on a Speed Shop website it mentions you only use the clutch once and the rest is done without, it cuts out the ignition for a split second to change gears. The site shows a video on how it works.
https://rolliesspeedshop.com/speed-up-your-gear-changes-with-pingel-electric-shifters/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if you have ever accidentally done a downshift or up shift without using the clutch but bikes often are quite capable clutchless shifters if the right rpms and loads are met. Many riders do it routinely. The Pingel has a control module that as I understand it interrupts the ignition and allows smooth shifts without using the clutch. Have never ridden one but many handicapped riders use them. Am not sure just how it works for starts and stops.

Al

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ok, But that is not going to help when sitting in a traffic jam and hand holding clutch for loooooong time. That is where I have a problem. That and after a long ride where I have clutched a hundred times or so. I find myself locking my fingers and pulling straight back with my arm! That makes for some interesting control issues.;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I was staring at one of them in the showroom one day and walking around it and looking and walking and looking, finally the salesman walked over and said "it doesn't have one" and smiled. He caught me by surprise and I said doesn't have what? He said a clutch, I saw you looking all over for the clutch and shifter. He told me it is amusing to watch customers come in and they all do the same thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, But that is not going to help when sitting in a traffic jam and hand holding clutch for loooooong time. That is where I have a problem. That and after a long ride where I have clutched a hundred times or so. I find myself locking my fingers and pulling straight back with my arm! That makes for some interesting control issues.;)

Yeah, that's kinda where I am at. But I sure won't get a new GW unless I unload some (all) of present fleet.

·
Premium Member
63,790 Posts
Hallo OldAge

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
well not bragging but I am 80 and still riding hope to continue for several more years I have a 2004 1800 wing a Kawasaki nomad 1600 and a matchless 650 desert scrambler

·
Registered
379 Posts
You guys are making me feel downright young (age wise anyway) at 65! Problem is that I beat my body up pretty good when I was younger racing cars, bike, boats and anything else that would go fast under it's own power. And you know if you race it you will crash it. Didn't feel it back then but......................................... Paying the piper now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts