Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes I bought another 1500. It was wrecked just like the one I ride. Motor starts right up and I lifted the back wheel. Make that a hoist and me picked it up. The transmission shifts and reverse works fine. The problem is the front end trees are broke and fork tubes bent. A partner of mine has an 88 1500 with a good front end. Will that fit on a 90 and what problems might bite me. Put wrong year before then I checked the title. A brain fart by a too excited senior rider. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Yes I bought another 1500. It was wrecked just like the one I ride. Motor starts right up and I lifted the back wheel. Make that a hoist and me picked it up. The transmission shifts and reverse works fine. The problem is the front end trees are broke and fork tubes bent. A partner of mine has an 88 1500 with a good front end. Will that fit on a 92 and what problems might bite me. Any help would be appreciated.
Kind of think the 88 and 89 had smaller fork tubes

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Dale,

A friend of mine went down on his '99 Gold Wing. Bent the fork tubes and the steering stem.

We installed the steering stem and fork tubes from a 1989 Wing. They had been removed from the '89 when it was Triked in its younger years.

Everything worked excellent.

Yes I know the fork tube (part numbers) are different for a 1999 and a 1989 and (I know why).

You would be shocked at the slight difference between the two (which has no affect on performance (or anything else). Not even worth my time to explain....!

I speak from experience not "hearsay"......!!!

By the way....That '99 Wing has been ridden many many miles since the change.......!!!!!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the good information. I got lucky last night and found parts I needed. A friend of a friend had the parts. We traded old Ford pickup parts for my needed parts. It's great to have a friend that will help. Now let the fun begin.
Every time I come to this forum I see a true fellowship. That's hard to find in today's world. The people that put this together should be proud of what they have accomplished.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 84 Aspy fork tube in my shop. I use it for a cheater on wrenches for that extra leverage. On a light touch of my micrometer. The 84 1200 and the 1500 tubes are 41mm. D your right on the money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts