Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

dropped the bike in a slow speed emergency stop. Left the house, traveled about 200 ft, speeding van at T intersection, had to brake hard(I'm not hitting a moving vehicle!). Front end slid out from under me, landed on right side, slid about 6 ft. 2 slight scrapes to rider, bike OK! Engine crashbar seemed to take all of the blow, no other damage. The front tire is worn but not bad, and I'm not sure that a new tire (being cold) might not have behaved similarly. However, I have no idea how old the tire is, and how well it has aged. Saturday, new tires front and back, Dunlop elite II,I get to find out how to remove the rear tire!. Also looking at brake pad replacement. Are the brake pads similar to my 1984 700 interceptor, which took me all of 10 mins to replace(remove caipers pull pins, new pads, reattach calipers)? Bike is a 1982 Aspencade

New tires cost $278 mounted and balanced, at local cycle gear.

Tanks for any help

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Might take a bit longer to do the pads than 10 minutes. Caliper off first then out with pins and pads, in with new pads and replace pins and refit. You are right about old tyres, even with lot sof thread left the rubber dries out and that results in less grip.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about your spill. I live in an area where there have been several similar accidents. Fortunately I haven't been involved in any as close as yours! Was there any sand or water on the road where you went down? Not a lot you can do sometimes. I have put about 13K miles on my front Dunlop (not sure how many were on it before I bought the bike) and it still looks pretty good. I replaced the rear about 8K miles ago. Will probably replace the front soon.

On my 83 Aspencade itwas about the ten minute job you descibed to change the brakes. Very simple job. I have replaced them all now!

Bob W.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

When the tyres get old they dry out and you get the little cracks in the sides as well. The pads are easy to do on the GL1100, should be plain sailing if the pistons &pins are not seized.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.