Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Happy New Year!

I have ordered a Wig Wag brake light modulator for my '07 GL1800. When it arrives I don't know what I'm going to do about the installation. Does anyone here know where I can get picture/video installation instructions. I'm not the best with written instructions.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum, i cant help you with the 1800 wiring, i have the rear alert modulater on my 1200, it flashes quick six times and stays on as long as the brake is applied, mine is also lights the trunk brake lights and not the saddlebag brake lights, mine has only three wires, one is ground and the other two to the brake light, take off the seat and locate the wire that runs to the light, just cut it and add the two wire to the two ends of the one wire you have cut, just read the intsructions, its a simple job and should take you no more than fifteen minutes once the seat is off, some one will be along shortly that has one fitted and tell you what color the wires are for your brake light curcuit

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

They need to stop selling these units to those with more than twin brake light systems. Both the wig wag and the back off units are designed and made for twin brake light systems, such as some of the older wings. Our newer bikes the amp load is too much for the units if you wish to modulate the trunk and bag lights.

If you just wish to modulate the trunk lights you have a couple choices, you can take the inner liner out of the rear of the trunk find the green wire with the red stripe and tie one side of the wig wag to either or side and run a jumper wire over to the other light, drill a small hole in the inner liner and run the wires all through that and use velcro to secure the body of the unit to the inside of the trunk on the inner liner.

Or you can take the rear fender section out, and up high in the harness where the wire bundle heads up to the trunk you will find two green with red stripe wires, you can tie in there also, but again this will only actuate the trunk lights.

The ideal place to tie in is under the seat at the main gray 14 pin connector at the green/red wire ahead of the pin connector, this will tie in and modulate all lights without extensive makeshift wiring. But, the wig wag will not work in this location for very long as the amp load will overload it and pre maturely cause it to fail.

There are now several rear brake modulators designed and made specifically for the late model bikes that take only a few minutes to install, they all tie in under the seat and modulate all the rear light, are designed for the amp load and all come with very good and specific instructions where as the wig wag always requires a college degree in wiring and has no instructions for the wing.

Kuryakyn, Kisan, signal dynamics, are just some of the companies the make modern units for the 1800.

You can go to wingstuff.com and look at the brake modulators and read all the reviews.

Hope this helps.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I think I agree with Kit Carson, the Wig Wag seems more trouble than it's worth. I'm a carpenter and I usually leave the electrical stuff to the sparkies. I have already ordered the Wig Wag. I'll try to return it and go with one of the other units. Now can you send me info on the other units. Please.....
Thanks BigD234

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I like this one, it is a very easy install. Simply remove the seat and cut one wire and tie it in, run the screws down tight , hook up the ground wire to the small bolt already under the seat , use the supplied velcro and fasten the unit so it will not bounce around. Good instructions included. Kuryakyn GL1500, GL1800 Pulsating Brake Light Controller - Honda Goldwing Parts and Accessories

Here are some more choices.

GL1800 Goldwing Brake Modulators - Honda Goldwing Accessories, Parts and more.

And still another very good company and on this site under downloads you will find installation instructions in detail for any application, if you are not sure which one to use, call them, they are very helpful.
Safety Electronics For Motorcycles

Do be aware if you have the LED rear lighted spoiler that none of the modulators will work this, a special additional harness and device is needed to make this work due to its low resistance. Kisan had the device for that, the tailblazer or something like that.

Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.