Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

last weekend went on a lill 700 mile trip with some friends who ride the "dark side" bikes.......out final destination was Travers city here in Michigan for the Harley round up after a trip round upper Michigan........I have a 78 wing with the funky "bates clipper" faring and a rear trunk, my buddy that I was riding with has a 2001 heritage clasic........from start to go he could'nt keep up no matter what he tried, twisties straights, roll ons.......the "old girl" atehim up...not once was he able to pass me......the best part was when we got to the camp site or out to eat, our bikes were parked next to eachother and the ppl. out walking around would stop and comment on my bike and pass his up even though he has thousands in chrome add ons and do dads.......LOL .......the only trouble I had durring the trip was the seat......man O man was my south side sore ......couldnt wait to get off at the gas stops....kinda glad I had to spank him several times to shorten the trip tween gas........before I get ripped the speed in excess of the posted limmits were done on very rural roads I was one of six non American bikes there......and yes the harley he has is a very nice looks great and my buddy is a very good friend......still.....LOL ....will post pics when he sends them

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Belated welcome, you've got to remember that when the first naked wings were introduced, Honda had the word "SUPER-BIKE" very firmly in mind. Once they brought out the CBX-6 things started taking on a really touring-type look.

But it's still kind'aneat to hear how well they run..... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Yep, mine blows away the Harleys too. And it gets more looks. Sometimes I'll be parked next to a bunch of Harleys and people walk right past them and stop to look at my Wing... the naked Wings are not so common.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

The 1000 Wings were clocked at 12.59 in the 1/4 mile by several magazines ! They were shocked a bike that heavy was out running most every thing of that day!

The Kaw Z 900 was the only thing (4 stroke) to give it a run (stock) !

My brother has an 883 Sportster and says I can't touch him . LOL!!

I told him, he must have got "bumped on the head when he was a baby!":goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

The '75-'77 GL1000's are pretty fast for their weight. Big carbs and lumpy cams. In '78 they went with smaller carbs and smoother cams. Probably a bit more driveable and a environmentally cleaner than the early Wings, but not quite as fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.