Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to hear the opinions of people that have owned wings from the 80's and 90's and now ride newer bikes as to what the major differences they feel. Good or bad.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I had a 1200 for years and upgraded to a new (in 2008) 1800. About the same gas mileage, 40 to 44 depending on the fun factor. 1800 has fantastic headlights, tons of power, fantastic brakes, radial tires, great handling. I am 5'11" and I would like the seat 2 inches higher and 2 inches forward so I am not leaning backwards. I liked the adjustable 1200 seat. I don't like the abruptness of fuel injection, especially when cold. I have to be careful not to spin the tire when the bike is cold. Nit picky since it is not cold for more than a few minutes. Would I go back to a 1200. No. But, if I has a pristine 1200 I would think hard about plopping $20,000 on a new 1800. It seems that all Goldwings are great, just in different ways. Don

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
I ride my '85 GL1200 with a friend from church who has a 2004 GL1800 and, of course, we trade bikes now and then. The 1800 is a magnificent motorcycle, without question. Great power and improvements. And, I prefer my 1200. Apparently he likes it a lot too, since he keeps asking me to ride his bike more often! I decline more often than not, too cramped. We're both tall; he's 6'4" and I'm 6'10", yeah I know "You rang?") It'll be hard, but I'll eventually sell my 1200 for a 1500 for more legroom. Of course, when not in traffic my feet are on the road plates and my *ss in the passenger's seat!

P.S. Hell, another rider friend of mine is 7'3". He calls me "Shorty"!

·
Premium Member
1984 Aspencade
298 Posts
Have both a 1984 1200A and a 2010 1800, both bought new.

I thought the 1200 was the best thing I had ever ridden all those years, and still like it, but can't seem find time to fix a fork seal and get tires put on. I want to do both jobs myself, and so have to work it in.... I want to take it on a long trip yet this summer, Lord willing.

They are both great, but the 1800 is to me, almost perfect. Much better seat for me and my wife, a little smoother, if that is possible, handling is superb, and then, the nice fuel injection, although I never minded the carbs on the 1200.

The 1200, sits lower in the seat, whereas, one sits up and forward on the 1800. I like both. Less wind on the helmets on the 1200. I run with both stock windshields all the way down. The 1200 does not go low enough.

The 1800 shifts twice as easy as my 1200... The handle bars feel too far apart now on the 1200. Love the bags on the 1200, but with the Honda liners, the 1800 is close...

All these things to me are a moot point, though. Just differences that go away after a day or so in the sadldle.

If it were just me on a trip, I would have a difficult time deciding which one to take.....

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
That's funny:ROFL:

Cause I'm 5'8 have a 1200 86. I cleaned my suspension and replaced the ATF with new. Now I can almost stand flatfooted while barefooted. I was thinking just today "Who Did Honda Make These Bikes For GIANTS":ROFL::raspberry::ROFL:

I don't like the looks of that one sided swing arm those 1800's have on them. I just think a well supported axle will last longer.:?

I would gladly pay 8,000 for a late model 1200 build the same with some improvements.

New Price gl1200I 1986 about $8,000 Great investment too bad I was 5 back then and did not have the enough gumption to get a job and buy one.:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
Be grateful, Brother! This world is not built for tall people! I run my head into everything! It's a miracle that my melon works at all, and it's even worse for my friend, Mark. NOTHING fits him. Imagine taking a flight when you're 7'3"! He has to bend at the waist to even get on the dang plane! He has to remove the driver's seat from his car and sit on the back seat to drive. 6'4" is fine; our height sucks! And, we each have our cross to bear.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
I meet this guy a few years ago my neck was even with his belt. The guy must have been 9ft+ I wish I had had my bike with me and a camera he would have made it look like a toy.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
I started out with a 1981 GL1100 from there I went to a 1993 GL1500 and I'm hooked. The GL1800 has more power it's really more nimbel but on the long rides there is nothing like my 1996 GL1500SE for a comfortable ride. Quite honestly I don't like the look of the new GL1800's kind of a mix between BMW and Harley so at this point as long as I can find a GL1500 with low miles I will be riding one. The 1996 I have now had only 36,018 original Miles on it. A friend of mine recently bought a 1999 with 11,000 original miles on it some people ride them like Harleys...

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I've owned 3 GL1500 and a 1800 and a ST 1300. Some of you are wondering why so many bikes my first one was a new 1996 pearl green, I only had 15,000 miles on it while putting gas in it a gentlemen asked me what I would take for the bike, told him wasn't for sale kept insisting to put a price on it I priced it within a grand of a new gold wing thinking that would cool him off, he wanted my phone no, to make a long story short he owned the bike. I looked at other bikes and decided to go back to a gold wing bought a 1988 phantom grey, hate the colour but was a good but kept it several years and sold it. I bought a 2001 pearl blue kept it for 9 years, I never went 100 yards and realized it was a lot different from the 1500 on power and found out very quickly the 1800 handled like a sport bike, wife health got bad and she couldn't ride and I felt I don't need a wing no more than I ride so I sold it and went to the St 1300 kept it 3 years and realized I was going to get my killing done on this bike so I sold it and went back to a gl 1500. 99se it had 20,000 miles on it . I like the 1500 for the leg room it has better wind protection than the 1800 did. I loved the 1800 but dreaded changing air filter on it. One thing about it all the wings are good bikes. Wayne

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
After many years, I finally owned the only Goldwing that I ever really fell in love with, The 1985 GL1200 LTD...... Taking ownership of that bike was like having a new baby in the family, i was a true joy to have and to ride.........

Then came the 1500........ The Power, the comfort, the quiet........ My first thought when I rode that 1500 for the first time was this is the greatest piece of man made machinery since the building of the space shuttle...... Did I mention the power?..........

But I missed the Fuel Injection......... I like Fuel injection......

So I got me an 1800...... OH Boy...... The Power!! Yes, I said the same about the 1500, but the 1800 was a huge increase in power over the 1500. The comfort! Yet the bike kept a sports like feel to it.

I was driving home last night and was intering into an area where 2 highways merge together. I was remembering back to my 1200 days when I would have to slow to 55 to make the curve on the ramp, on my 1500 I could take this same curve at 65. Then I looked down to my Speedometer on the 1800........75 MPH......... And I honestly didn't think I was going 55......

For a long time I admired the 1800 but stayed away from the notion because I listened to all those that say the 1500 is the best of them all......... I like the 1500, don't get me wrong, I still own mine........ but those saying the 1500 is the best, just haven't driven the 1800 yet.....

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I have both a 1981 GL1100 and a 2008 GL1800. I love them both. The 81 is a simpler ride. Very easy to work on and great to ride but I much prefer my 2008. Much more power, smoother ride. While they are both great they are two very different bikes. In heavy cross winds the new bike is rock solid and the old one is a sail.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I own a 1200, and have ridden a 1500 and 1800. I prefer the 1200. The 1500 is more comfortable on the highway, but you pay for that in town and especially in parking lots. The 1800 seems to be the answer to a question nobody asked. It is not as comfortable as the 1500, and it is to big and heavy. The 1500 and 1800 make the 1200 feel like a midsize bike by comparison. And I have not found anything the 1200 does not do well, as far as touring bikes go. I wish they still made them.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I own a 1200, and have ridden a 1500 and 1800. I prefer the 1200. The 1500 is more comfortable on the highway, but you pay for that in town and especially in parking lots. The 1800 seems to be the answer to a question nobody asked. It is not as comfortable as the 1500, and it is to big and heavy.

Once again Jerry, You do nothing but bash the Goldwing......

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
My first Goldwing was an 85 1200 Aspencade and I thought it was the best motorcycle I'd ever ridden, My second Goldwing was an 89 1500 and I thought it was the best motorcycle I'd ever ridden, My current Goldwing is an 2008 level 4 GL1800 and it is the best motorcycle I've ever ridden! Each one was great in it's day but each model got better running and handling. I agree that each got heavier but my 08 does everything better than the others. I'm amazed at how my fat girl dances when you want her to! JMHO
Bill

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
I heard about that already. You 1800 riders and how yah don't like us poor 1200 riders who actually work on our bike (air filter and oil change don't really count) and who could not afford or justify spending 20,000+ on a car let alone a bike.

That said I like my 1200 and think those 1800's just plain look to expensive. I also enjoy restoring old bikes. Once I have a garage I would like to restore and rehome as many 1200's as I can. Buy one that's been sitting for years take it down to the frame fix any problems use frame oil clean and repaint/built the whole bike sell her after a while to the right home for the right price.

I think ya'll 1800 riders just want a bike you don't have to work on like some people trade cars and pay a payment their whole life.:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I heard about that already. You 1800 riders and how yah don't like us poor 1200 riders who actually work on our bike (air filter and oil change don't really count) and who could not afford or justify spending 20,000+ on a car let alone a bike.

That said I like my 1200 and think those 1800's just plain look to expensive. I also enjoy restoring old bikes. Once I have a garage I would like to restore and rehome as many 1200's as I can. Buy one that's been sitting for years take it down to the frame fix any problems use frame oil clean and repaint/built the whole bike sell her after a while to the right home for the right price.

I think ya'll 1800 riders just want a bike you don't have to work on like some people trade cars and pay a payment their whole life.:raspberry:
. Used 1800's are not that expensive and they require just as much maintenance as any other Goldwing........

Why you need to be told that I have no clue............ You and Jerry both shouldn't own a Goldwing......... Or at least not come across so insulting......

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have not yet ridden a 1800 yet but my 1500 is the best i have ever ridden. i also own a 1500 kawasaki classic which is no match of the goldwing for confort also owned a harley sposter and would look foward to the next stop

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I recently rode the new F6B and THAT is the best motorcycle I have ever ridden period. It feels completely different then any goldwing in a good way. Its much lighter and there is plenty of room. of course the negatives (and its a big negative to me) is the lack of cruise control. the loss of the top trunk. a big deal and not a big deal to me. I would rather have the lower weight.

now comparing the "normal" goldwings. At 6'4 tall both the 1800 and the 1200 feel too cramped for me. My 1500 with floorboards is all that I will need for a long time. the amenities on the 1800 are the best, gps, stereo etc are the best in the business to me. I just put on a gps on my 1500 but its not close to the same, but it works for me.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The four cylinders and the six cylinders are COMPLETELY different bikes. They share very little in common, other than the layout of the engine. I happen to think the four cylinder "smaller is better" is the way to go. Honda had reached near perfection, then goes and changes everything. With these bikes being SO different, it's kind of hard not to like one model better than another. If Honda came out with a 2400cc 8 cylinder Goldwing that cost $40,000, many would hail it as the greatest motorcycle on the planet. Just how far is far enough? Where does it end? The Japanese went up to 2000cc in v-twin cruisers before they realized they had finally gone too far. You can no longer buy a 2000cc v-twin. As they continue to make the Goldwing bigger, heavier, and more expensive, they are putting it out of reach of more and more people, both for financial reasons and those who simply cannot deal with such a large heavy bike. The Goldwing is a great bike, but Honda needs to find some other way to go besides making it bigger and bigger, loading it down with more and more gadgets, and continue to raise the price.

Look at what Cadillacs and Lincolns used to be. Huge cars the size of the Queen Mary. GM and Ford have downsized them, while at the same time refining them. Yes, they still cost to much, but you don't need a 3 man crew to drive one anymore. They are still as luxurious as ever.

As nice as Goldwings are, they do have issues. This forum is full of those issues. Nothing is perfect. I just think Honda should concentrate on making it better, not just bigger. I am a huge fan of the 1200, and have hung on to mine despite one problem after another (admittedly mostly caused by PO neglect and abuse) because I like it so much. It's smooth, quiet, fast, and comfortable. But the questions still have to be asked. How big is too big? How complicated is too complicated? How much is too much?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.