Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello Folks,

I've been lurking around here for a while.

I'm on my third Goldwing. My wife found the first two for me. The first one was a 1982

1100, the second was a 1989 1500. Now I ride a 1985 1200 Aspencade.

I sold my 1500 and dropped out of motorcycles for about 2 years, got the bug and got the 1200.

I have done all of the maintainance on these bikes...so far. I recently repaced the tires, fork seals, brake pads,cam belts,coolant,spark plugs, and things I can't remember right now.:)

My Aspy has 56,000 miles on it now, bought it with 42,000. Some previous owner installed an after market radio, which is O.K. but I wish it had the original one. I also had to repair a few Mickey Mouse repairs, like about 10 feet of wire and swiches that didn't go to anything.

I really like the bike, and this site too.:cool:

TOJ

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, of the three sizes you've owned; whitch do you prefer.... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Shooter,

All three had their good and bad points, For the open road the 1500 was best, in town, it more work herding it thru traffic.

The 1100 and 1200 are pretty close. The 1200 probably handles a bit better. I think there is more room on the 1200 seat.

I think the 1100 got better gas mileage...been a long time...

There is nothing wrong with a good 1100, or an early 1000 either. I had friends who bought them new, and still have them.

It just happened to be able to buy the 1985, but any would suit me.

By the way, I just turned 60, started on a 185 Suzuki, then a 500 Suzuki, also had a Triumph triple, a Yamaha triple, and a Ural with sidecar.

TOJ

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum. It is a great place with much info and deer alerts for fun!! :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

TOJ wrote:
Hello Folks,

I've been lurking around here for a while.

I'm on my third Goldwing. My wife found the first two for me. The first one was a 1982

TOJ
Welcome TOJ, It sounds like the wife is definately worth hanging on to. Could she be persuaded to come on to the site and disclose where and how she "found" your Wings, as I am sure that there are many guys who would like to know how to "find" wings. Were they just hanging around on street corners, there for the taking, or did she have to put on a black mask, stripey jumper and go hunting with a lock picking kit, around the area:baffled::goofygrin::goofygrin:

Like many here you are obviously smitten, so long may you ride and be a valuable member of this site. Hopefully you have a slightly warped sense of humour and then you will REALLy fit in here!!

Pete

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

Welcome TOJ, It took my wife a while to realize that a good number of modern day riders are us old guys. She finally quit resisting a couple of months ago and accepted the fact that I really wanted another ride. I found an old Wing, '83 Aspy and started spending money on it. Just small stuff, but it's coming along. I just turned 63 today :action:and don't feel a day over 62. This is my second Wing. 1st was an 81 Interstate. My first bike was one most people have never heard of (1956 Horex Imperator) 400 CC twin. Just wanted to say welcome, didn't mean to wander on. Later Jim

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hi folks,

My wife found my first wing, ('82 Interstate) talking to someone she worked with, her hubby was selling it because he bought a 1987 Goldwing.

On the second, we were looking at a 1200 at a dealer in Mishawaka, In. and just thinking about it. At home, my wife called our insurance agent to see how much it would be. The insurance agent told her they have a 98 1500 for sale, $7,000.

Right then I knew I was buying that one ! That was back in 1995 and a really great deal. It came with a Combi-camper, helmets,bike cover, and other accessories. I rode it until I retired in 1997and moved 500 miles north. I didn't have a place to store it or get it here so I sold it to a co-worker for the same price I paid. He passed on a couple years ago, but his son still has it.

TOJ

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet TOJ!:waving::waving:

Yeah I'm just about to turn 63 and don't feel a day older than 62 (on the good days).

I just gotta ask, how did the Ural run? They look like they are built like tanks and might handle much like one. I was impressed that some of the side car rigs they make have a driven wheel on the hack.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the wife was in the right place at the right time, glad you have been enjoying since. Look forward to hearing your input on this excellent site.

Greetings from accross the pond:waving:

Pete

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hi Shooter,rcmatt007, silverfox, Old Gold, stretrod48, exavid, and others. This is one fine site, There is a lot to learn from other people on this site. I visit GWRRA site too, but not a member. I was a member of Goldwing Touring Association (GWTA) when we lived in lower Michigan. WE went to Oklahoma City for the national meet, same year that nut case blew up the Federal building....saw that.:(

My Ural Tourist was a 1998 model, fun to ride and sure drew lots of comments. Mine needed repair/tinkering before during, and after riding. Most of the problems were with the alternator, carbs, and clutch. The newer ones after 2002 are much better, so I'm told. They aren't fast, about 60 is it. At least one could ride in the snow ! Once I pulled into a gas station where about 6 snowmobiles were gassing up. I paid no attention to them, filled up, kicked it over, it started, and I rode off. Sure would like to know what they thought.

Had deer alerts on the 1500, one fell off, so I removed the other....lots of deer up here too!!!

My wife doesn't ride with me any more, hips and back problems. I have artheritis and some other problems, but some might fine pills take care of most of it!!

Sorry about the long rambling posts, but once I tell you everything I know..........:grinner:

TOJ

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

If you have sereral hours, read the thread on DEER ALERTS. It is always a good laugh and sometimes very informative!! :goofygrin: :goofygrin: :goofygrin:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey TOJ :waving: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper: Im delighted that you have stopped Lurking :thumpingmad:and have come in and joined the party. :blackstuff:I see that you have just turned 60 :birthday: you are just 20 yrs my junior, but i feel like 50. :weightlifter: Oh by the way, Keep away from that Deer Alert Thread, those guys are just plain and simple crazy. :doh:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Hey TOJ :waving: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper: Im delighted that you have stopped Lurking :thumpingmad:and have come in and joined the party. :blackstuff:I see that you have just turned 60 :birthday: you are just 20 yrs my junior, but i feel like 50. :weightlifter: Oh by the way, Keep away from that Deer Alert Thread, those guys are just plain and simple crazy. :doh:

Pay no attention to Redwing.He is miffed because he sat around for a fortnight with a pancake on his head and nobody posted a picture of him.

Nobody would eat the pancake either, even poor old Shep turned it down.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Brojees,

So happens, there is a street in Kalamazoo, Michigan called Yellow Brick Road. I use to live near there in a previous life......:D

I've read lot of your posts Redwing, thanks for the welcome.

TOJ

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

TOJ wrote:
Hey TOJ :waving:Im afraid my posts dont make much sense, :stumped:im an old guy with a Honda 50 and an oldIrish Setterdog called Shep, :clapper:and we lead a very simple life out here on the Islands. :( I have the use of my neighbours :18red:whenever it's free and thats about it. Your more than Welcome to this great Forum. :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
TOJ wrote:
Hey TOJ :waving:Im afraid my posts dont make much sense, :stumped:Your more than Welcome to this great Forum. :weightlifter:

Hey, Redwing you can't just go giving this site away, not without getting good money for it!!:goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Hey TOJ :waving:Im afraid my posts dont make much sense, :stumped:im an old guy with a Honda 50 and an oldIrish Setterdog called Shep, :clapper:and we lead a very simple life out here on the Islands. :( I have the use of my neighbours :18red:whenever it's free and thats about it.
Oh the pathos... the bathos... I sobbed in my Diet Pepsi... The poor old fella... Out there on that remote island... :crying::crying::crying:

Wait a minute,:doh: he's riding a better bike than I have... not even paying for the gas or maintenance... doesn't have to pay for the license tabs... what a deal, the hell with feeling sorry for the old fart!:cussing::thumpingmad:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

TOJ wrote:
Brojees,

So happens, there is a street in Kalamazoo, Michigan called Yellow Brick Road. I use to live near there in a previous life......:D

TOJ
It also so happens US Highway 54 in Kansas is officially designated the Yellow Brick Road. It runs from Liberal, Kansas to Fort Scott, Kansas. My house is two blocks from it.

Next time I can borrow a digital camera, I plan on having our picture taken under the sign to use as an avatar.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet TOJ!:waving::waving:

Yeah I'm just about to turn 63 and don't feel a day older than 62 (on the good days).
exavid, you're the same age as my brother who lives in Marsh Lake Yukon. I was just talking to his wife and he just showed up at home from a day of quading. They crossed 5 rivers, got hung up on the way back, started to get taken by the current. The wife had to let me go so she could make him something to eat as he's getting changed to jump on his V-Star and head into Whitehorse to hook up with some buds. Is anybody else out there who's reitred and bored?????

Do ya miss that North Country?

Kyle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.