Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have heard that the older goldwings (75-77) were good bikes but if they sit for a while then something near the carb. dries up and breaks, and nobody makes them anymore. I was told by my uncle that it was a boot. what is it's full name.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome . The Older wings are great bikes . IF they have been sitting a spell they can require a bit of TLC . Carb parts are available here -Randakk's along with a wealth of information . There are parts sold on this forum from members from time to time as well . There is always E-Bay ( buyer beware )

The only part I can think of you describing would be the intake runner ( 4 , one to each cylinder) which may be obsolete from Mother Honda . Lots on ebay though.

Once you have the ole bike going you have a nice ride . There is lots of info to read here and questions are no problem . There is also the search function here .

Again welcome . visit often .

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

everything 99.99% of parts can be obtained used. dont worry. you can park a bike for lets say a year, with the proper process it will be easy to recover. like a winterization process.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

William, nice new pic! I gotta get to Mexico some day soon.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

I have a 75 and 77 gl000.Both bikes were in long storage for 2 an 6 years.The fuel systems seem to suffer the most.
Rusty gas tanks and old gas still fermenting inside reak havoc on them.My opinion is getting the gas tanks sparkling clean,then do the carburetors.

I got the 75 running good,Then put seafoam in the gas tank.
Turns out the seafoam loosened up the rust and plugged the inner tank screens,rstricting all flow.

Everyone here advocates new timing belts right away.I have to agree.
This is an excellent forum for information.

P.S. William!great pic.Im smoking a cigarette now!

Flatfour

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Hey Studly1, out of all the GL1000 I've worked on only a few had bad intake couplers and those seemed to be a combination of exposure and people looking to clean the carbs twisting and bending them instead of slipping them off.
Like flatfour said, I'd be more concerned about getting and keeping the tank clean. And if the bike has been sitting a long time clean all the electrical to.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

There are a couple things you can do to repair intake manifold rubber parts that are starting to crack. One is to cut a section of inner tube and stretch it over. Another is to paint it with liquid electrical tape. Both methods will seal any cracks and protect it from UV rays.

Q

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

In general, almost any Honda you can find that will crank, will run again. Varnished carbs can even be replaced if you want. And tires and brakes.....

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
imported post

I'd have to say that with these bikes, where there's a will there's a way, especially with the help of the fine folks on this forum. If you can't find the parts you need (and you probably can) they'll help you find a way to make it run.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
imported post

i had a 1978 honda goldwing wich i bought from a friend who had it in his garage for seven years, i changed two head gaskets,four intake rubbers and drove it from montreal canada to new york city. i loved that bike for 7 years and never had a problem with it

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I have resurected quite a few. The normal list is carb rebuild, brake system overhaul,cooling system flush, Timing belts, Tires,crank case flush, Gas tank flush/treatment. All the parts are available either OEM, aftermarket, or used. For the average "it ran when I parked it 10 years ago" I figure about $500-800 in parts/ rebuild kits.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

There is a guy in the Worcester, MA area on Craigslist that has three 1975s and two 1976s Goldwings and parts for about $1000. Three have titles and a couple look ready to go.

If you need parts...............

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

I have a 78 Wing that I have owned since it was born. Been to 34 states and 8 provinces. I do continuing maintenance on it every season. One year I did all the rubber parts--hoses, etc. Another year I removed and repacked all the bearings. Another year cleaned all the electrical connections. It has never let me down. I believe you reap what you sow.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

OK you guys convinced me, i am going to try to fing one and get it working. if any of you guys find one for like $500 or less that runs BUY IT, I will have the money for it in the summer time and i will buy it from you. even if you live really far away. i don't mind paying the shipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.