Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

87 Oldwing with 136,000 miles. Still keeps up with the big boys. What would be the best oil to use now that summer is coming. Temps will be 90f and up.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

pisspodpete wrote:
87 Oldwing with 136,000 miles. Still keeps up with the big boys. What would be the best oil to use now that summer is coming. Temps will be 90f and up.
pisspodpete, motor oil & it's usage is such a subjective thingthat you will get so many different opinions on this one that you still won't know what to use. Just put the word OIL into the search box at the top of this page & read till your eyes water.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

There is a little discussed oil called Castrol ACT-EVO synthetic blend (synth/dino, no friction modifiers)which is designed for wet clutch big bike operation that is 20-50w. I used it last year for a while. The only thing I didn't care for much was that shifting was a little more "clunky". You might give that a try. I like the often discussed Rotella T but it's 5-40w so it might be a bit light for the riding you're describing.

Regards,

Hobie.

BTW Twisty is correct. The oil debate is one of the most contentious discussions out there.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Hello:

I live in TN and use Mobil 1 15W-50. Works fine and synthetic has been in this 85 GL1200 Interstate for many years - burns no oil and has 37,600 miles on.

Hope this helps you.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

I'd go with the popular suggestion on similar topics here, ie use 20/50 in summer and thinner oil in winter.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I use 5W40 mobile 1 and like it !

I don't run 50 w in water cooled bikes but I know alot of people who do and like it !

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Most owners seem to agree that using thin oil in hot weather makes the engine noisier and the gears more clunky. Just use the thin oil in winter and the thicker stuff in summer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.