Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey I just gotmy new (for me) 1984 aspencade's stator fixed and now find that pressing buttons for to add pressure to front and rear shocks will not work. I hear the compressor working the toggle type switches for front to rear seem to work but the front and rear are still spongey anda friend with the same modle showed me his and the rear will lift 4 inches or so............... Any info on whatto check first????Thanks much Rod :cooldj:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Rod wrote:
Hey I just gotmy new (for me) 1984 aspencade's stator fixed and now find that pressing buttons for to add pressure to front and rear shocks will not work. I hear the compressor working the toggle type switches for front to rear seem to work but the front and rear are still spongey anda friend with the same modle showed me his and the rear will lift 4 inches or so............... Any info on whatto check first????Thanks much Rod :cooldj:
Rod, any chance you are just running the tire inflater part & not the shock part?

The engine must be off & the ign switch on (or accessory, I can't remember which) .. You should see the bars for air pressure show up in the temperature gauge window if it's inflating the shocks or forks.. On my 86 1200 I have to really hold the button in real hard to get the the front of rear to read in the temp gauge window.

If the bars are showing in the temp gauge & the pump is running then you either have a broken hose, or plugged intake filter, or failing pump, or other leak.

You will need the service manual to work your way through the system checks. It isn't difficult but the book has a good test procedure.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks hugely I just ordered the book today as a matter of fact............... unfortunately the guy that fixed the stator and has the same bike say's it don't work but I'll try the hard pressing ............... I'm wondering is it possible for some kind of seals to be leaking ??? The bike sat for 9 years in a garage thanks again.Rod:cooldj:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Rod wrote:
Thanks hugely I just ordered the book today as a matter of fact............... unfortunately the guy that fixed the stator and has the same bike say's it don't work but I'll try the hard pressing ............... I'm wondering is it possible for some kind of seals to be leaking ??? The bike sat for 9 years in a garage thanks again.Rod:cooldj:
Rod, can you get the temp gauge to change over to the shock or fork air window? If so then yes it's possible you have leaking seals or pump problems. If the window won't switch make sure the ign is turned to the correct place (ign ON with engine NOT running) then try pressing the ft or rr switches a little harder.

I guess if were my bike I would just switch it over to a manual fill like on my Harley dresser. The Harley's fill by hand & that has never been a problem for me as once it's set I don't mess with it.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ya my 81 1000 is manual pump I can try that if all else fails............. this is what happens when you get a BRAND NEW OLD TOY it looks SO GOOD in the garage.... Well I've finally been rideing it after two months and my other bike isrunning so I can have a great fall season I like the cold anyway. Rod best of luck in your future :cooldj:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Rod wrote:
Ya my 81 1000 is manual pump I can try that if all else fails............. this is what happens when you get a BRAND NEW OLD TOY it looks SO GOOD in the garage.... Well I've finally been rideing it after two months and my other bike isrunning so I can have a great fall season I like the cold anyway. Rod best of luck in your future :cooldj:
Rod, I like cold weather riding also. I ride spring to winter (every day it doesn't snow or ice)..I ride to work almost every day (haven't driven my car or truck to work since mid March).. When it gets down to (-10° F) I have to dress pretty warm & maybe plug my heated vest& gloves in.. Have had a little frost up problem on my helmet & visor in the cold damp mornings.. Some mornings in the late season I will show up at work with a totally white frost covered helmet. Won't tell you what my wife says when I ride in the extreme cold but itisn't very complementry..

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Rod wrote:
I wonder if the friend has shot springs, I've never seen a Wing raise up like that with air pressure. Normally adding air just reduces the amount the rear sinks as load is added. Once you're off the bike the springs should bring it back up even without air. At least that's the way my 86 worked.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

On my '86 you can't have the brake on to work the compressor. It seems I have to relearn this every month or two. If I remember right it's key on, kill switch on, brake off and bike sitting on the center stand.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hey It's Mon morning and I am outa here... I also ride all winter not so much in snow and ice.I'm on big hill and it get's kinda squirley commin down the hill -3 is as cold as I rode and I had a sasquatch ice patch on my beard....by now Rod :cooldj:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

On my 84 Aspy, I don't need the kill switch on. The bars will indicate but so far, I have not noticed a whole lot of difference in height. I was not looking for that, but I would have seen anything approaching 4 inches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.