Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Myself & 2 friends did a big loop across the prairies & thru the rockies. We met up in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan and headed west to Waterton, into the Rockies and up to Jasper and home. Along the way we passed a ton of bikers... of all kinds. One thing really struckme - we're the friendly types that give other bikers we see along the way the wave, andfrom the cruiser crowd, mostly Harley riders, about 50% won't wave back (too cool... hate Hondas, touring bikes, whatever?). They see you, and make a conscious decision not to wave or acknowledge you. Many riders at least will give a little head nod or small hand gesture, and that's cool. This is western Canada I'm speaking of here - is this (snub?) common behaviour elsewhere too?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
imported post

I know here in the south, everyone waves even if they are on their John Deer Lawn mower. Once in a while you'll pass someone on a curve were they won't (I may not either) for fear of taking a hand off the handle bar, but for the most part, everyone waves.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
imported post

Over here everyone waves or nods unless they are in a tight spot and can't take their eyes off the road. I acknowledge every biker on the road regardless of what he or she rides.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
imported post

I would say in my little corner of the world....about 85% wave. You get youroccasional snob for whatever reason doesn't wave and I am guessing that is just about anywhere you go.

I wave to everything on 2 wheels. The scooters and bicycles are fun to wave at as they are mostly shocked to see someone acknowledge them.:action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,319 Posts
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
I would say in my little corner of the world....about 85% wave. You get youroccasional snob for whatever reason doesn't wave and I am guessing that is just about anywhere you go.

I wave to everything on 2 wheels. The scooters and bicycles are fun to wave at as they are mostly shocked to see someone acknowledge them.:action:
Just did 8000 miles out to NASSIR4 and back and I totally agree with Snorebaby, about 85% wave (I wave all the time and usually first). All of the Goldwings we saw waved and the non-wavers were the Harley's and crotch rockets. I think it was on Interstate 90 coming across S. Dakota when a Harley tour rider way over on the other side of the highway threw his entire arm up in the air with a high five wave...not sure what that was about but my wife and I both enjoyed it!

I did notice (as I recall) that the closer I got to Sturgis the less waves I got...

I also like the reaction of the bikes and scooters
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
imported post

I find bicyclists even more snooty than Harley guys.... I'm a former serious bicyclist and genuinely respect anyone who tours with a pedal bike (push bike for those on the other side of the pond), and it kind of puts me off when I try to be friendly and they ignore my wave.... their choice of course, but....
 

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
imported post

I am in the south so I usually wave at everyone. For the most part, I get a wave back, however, there are a few that don't wave. As Snorebaby said abbout 85 to 90 percent wave back.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
913 Posts
imported post

Some riders can't control the wobble with one hand....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

It's beginning to sound like Harley types are a little snobbier here than elsewhere! I don't get it - we're all riders.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
81 Posts
imported post

In California we get about 90% that wave... the other 10% are either to busy riding, or probably fall in the snootie category.. I probably wave to at least 90%, and I can say the other 10% is that I'm busy riding, or paying more attention to other things I should bee... Cali is very bike friendly though.. I do try to wave at all the kids though.. that's alot of fun, and very cool too. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
imported post

If you want to have a little fun with the snobs try this. When a group of riders are coming at you don't wave first or make any effort and see what they do. If the riders up front wave I would always wave back, if they don't I wait until the last rider in line and give a very fast wave and catch them by suprise. Chances are they will wave back and it also helps that none of the others riders up front can see him or her waving back. I always laugh when they do this.:action:

Take care, mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
imported post

The harley guy's know if they let go of any part on the bike it could fall off, so they hang on for dear life.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
imported post

I've had the opposite experience.

HD riders almost always wave around here, or a head nod at intersections when their hands are on the controls.
Squids and Power Rangers usually acknowledge with a wave, nod or wheelie.
Old Wing riders look happy to see someone else on a Wing, and wave or talk to me.

Newer Wing riders, 1500's & 1800's, are the biggest snobs! They seem to look down on anyone that isn't riding expensive, shiny plastic! Some of them are OK, if they're not ATGATT. Maybe they don't like my mismatched colors, or missing side covers?

Personally, I don't care what anyone else is riding, or how they are dressed, I will acknowledge them if at all possible.

A wave, nod or even just a smile to a fellow rider. Is it that hard to even look in their direction for a second and show some sign of recognition?
 

·
Just one of the guys
Joined
·
4,799 Posts
imported post

On a Sunday afternoon ride around here my arm gets so darn tired from waving that I don't always wave at folks.
I would say about 75% of the others around here wave, regardless of what they are on
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
720 Posts
imported post

I just got back from a 250 mile ride around south Ga on a

roadking an every one I passed waved .



I find you will pass some who will not wave . but it don't stop me from waving



Shucks if you drive a pick-up in Ga you wave at other pick-ups
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
209 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
I know here in the south, everyone waves even if they are on their John Deer Lawn mower. Once in a while you'll pass someone on a curve were they won't (I may not either) for fear of taking a hand off the handle bar, but for the most part, everyone waves.
Thats us Southern boys & gals for sure:waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
imported post

Early this afternoon, I came across a Memorial Ride. a BIG group of bikes (mostly HD) of all brands & types. The string of bikes was roughly1.5 - 2 miles or so long. That wave was easy, I just kept my hand out there.:action: Most all waved back.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
imported post

dodgedartlover wrote:
jobe05 wrote:
I know here in the south, everyone waves even if they are on their John Deer Lawn mower. Once in a while you'll pass someone on a curve were they won't (I may not either) for fear of taking a hand off the handle bar, but for the most part, everyone waves.
Thats us Southern boys & gals for sure:waving:
Yup!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,422 Posts
imported post

I have always waved no matter what I rode or they rode.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,106 Posts
imported post

yeah i deal with this issue all over and its not from just harley riders its the "quality" of riders now a days now i dont see other riders as my brothers sisters or however some people see them i got a brother and i hate him lol


anyway most of the time i just plain give up on waving back or trying to get a response i just give a nod i dont ride a bike to wave and say hi i ride a bike to relax and enjoy myself for minimal cost to the pocket book and its not that i dont appreciate or acknowledge other riders its just if im riding especially through town people wave and im too buy trying to read traffic and avoid the cagers on the open road yeah i relax and wave if i can or even want to but most of the time a NOD will suffice
 
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top