Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My newest toy a 1980 GL1100 has been on the road for 3 days now and with 500 km (300 miles) I see top gear at 3800 RPM at 100 Km/hr (62 MPH). MPG has been around 58-60 an imperial gallon (160 oz). Can any one tell me if this is typical?

As for the gas gauge I suspect it is just an approximation of fuel left and that the tank is supposed to hold 20 litres or so, can any one verify this for me? Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

If you're averaging 59 MPG at 62 MPH with a 80 GL1100 , i'd like to know what the secret is?!

That's great milage!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Remember that is with an imperial gallon. So from your comment I would think that this is a good thing. Speeds are in and around 60-65 MPH or 100-110 km/hr. That is with me and the bags and fairing, tires at book values.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

I have a 76 1000 and the best mileage i have seen is 43 miles to the imperial gallon,at the speeds you are doing,all highway driving,around town i am only getting 38 to 39 ,so your mileage is excellent,I thought mine was decent from what i hear from other gold wing owners

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

For the last 2 days under severe wind and high rain conditions and then the usual running from one town to another with in town driving being 20% of the total distance I filled up today with regular and got 56.8 MPG. So it seems to stay fairly constant. RPM I'm told is typically high, 3800 @100Km/hr, 3000 @80 Km/hr and 2000 to 2500 RPM with top gear about the lowest speeds in the 50-Km per hour range. The bike will roll out at top gear without pinging but it does feel loaded. A drop into 4th is quicker. Start up is always crisp but always when cold with the choke full on. It does not want to run when cold, but needs to be coaxed and kept load free but once warmed in the blue zone of the gauge, runs well. The idle raises slightly to around 1100 RPM. As always thanks for the feedback while I get to learn about this unit.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I'm just guessing being "Imperial" gallons that you are probably getting around 45 mph US Gal?

Not sure on the "Imperial" Gal and too lazy to research it, ha!

But even 45, 46 is great milage!

Only the Harleys are getting 50 MPG(US) as far as Big bikes go?!:baffled:

Those 605cc Suzuki Scooters getting 75 MPG are looking more attractive everyday!!!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

no.... its 49.13 mpg......./forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif   but thats very good ,even for  a 1100  We can only assume that its DOWNHILL to everywhere  from Oakville , and that  the winds always blow at your back ... no matter which way you drive ........... SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yep Orangeville is at 1750 ft above sea level give or take and Oakville is about 20-50 ft above, so you got it, all down hill, but its a b***h pushin' her back home.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Light throttle, old age and a great big dose of caution. I forgot how bad car drivers are. In the rain I was cut off and then she decided to stop. What a hell of a way to test out my work on the brakes. Both front and back locked up, stalled the engine, what clutch? And then tried to talk to the idiot in front of me as to why. It surprised me that I had the strength to keep it up but I did, stopped inches from hitting her. Cars and trucks behind me remained patient and calm as I tried to start the Honda back up. I received a few thumbs up, but still do not understand the antics. I drive at or about 5 above the limit and I,m the one getting the silent salute, the horn and the passing in unsafe double line areas. If I speed up I get tailgated. So nothing has changed in the last 10 years away from a bike. In the Toronto area, people simply have no respect for bike riders and no understanding of what it takes to be seen. Emergency flashers, domes and a siren may help.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

ARKnapp wrote:
....people simply have no respect for bike riders and no understanding of what it takes to be seen. Emergency flashers, domes and a siren may help.
Don't count on it! :shock:

Bob :11grey:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Best I've ever seen from a GL1100 was either 54 or 56mpg, I can't quite remember which.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I'll check again soon but I think I get about 40, but runs so good i don't complain!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

"I drive at or about 5 above the limit and I,m the one getting the silent salute, the horn and the passing in unsafe double line areas.  If I speed up I get tailgated. "yup, same here in boston. it's truly amazing how bad car drivers are. i will admit that i have improved when driving after being on two wheels, but i was nowhere near as horrible as those you describe. aieee!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

I have an 80 1100 GL wing and I only get around 38 - 40mpg at best. Would like to know the others secret.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Bo wrote:
I have an 80 1100 GL wing and I only get around 38 - 40mpg at best. Would like to know the others secret.
Bo the 80 1100's are geared a little lower than the other 1100's so you're about right on the milage!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Bo wrote:
Bo the 80 1100's are geared a little lower than the other 1100's so you're about right on the milage!

I'd agree with that. All the 1100s give late 30's to mid 40's around the city and around 50mpg on the good roads.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Geared a little lower? Ratio is lower or ratio is higher, what do you mean by geared a little lower. My 80 does 3800 RPM at 100 Km per hr or 60 MpH, so the others turn at something lower RPM at 60 MPH? Thanx

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Up until I parked it that is whay I got, now that is an inperial gallon at 160 oz, where as a US gallon is 128 oz, about 45 Mper US gallon.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

Hey Guys, before I read this post I though I was doing pretty good at 35-36 us mpg.

But it looks like I have a little more work to do.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

ARKnapp wrote:
Geared a little lower? Ratio is lower or ratio is higher, what do you mean by geared a little lower. My 80 does 3800 RPM at 100 Km per hr or 60 MpH, so the others turn at something lower RPM at 60 MPH? Thanx
My 83 Aspencade runs 3700RPM at 70MPH (112.65KPH). 36-38 MPG.

Bob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.