Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Still out there chugging along the great American highway! Been through Washington, Oregon,Nevada (twice) Utah and now in California at my brother's place. 2500 miles down and 800 to go starting this morning. The bike has been perfect, running like a Goldwing averaging 40-42mpg cruising at speeds of 70-75 on the better roads at altitudes of 10,000' on a pass in Utah. Two days ago I had the most miserable ride I can remember. We crossed the mountains from Nevada to California with heavy rain, winds to 50mph, fog, and temps in the upper 30F area. It would have been a great mountain ride but for the weather. At least once we came down on the West side the rain and wind stopped and the temperatures went up. So today it's 400 miles North to my daughter and son-in-law's house and tomorrow another 400 home. Too bad the remaining 800 miles are all going to be slab riding.

For general information: Highway 50 across Nevada is a lonely road as advertised. On the Extraterrestrial Highway we did not see aliens nor was there any excitement from Area 51 or Groom Lake. Oh well, not every visitor to Loch Ness sees Nessie either.

From a happy rider,

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Paul,:waving: I think we need to rename you MR. IRON BUTT or SIR IRON BUTT....sounds like quite an adventure to say the least, Safe riding on the last 800miles....your input is missed on the forum.

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Hey Paul :waving:. Enjoy the rest of your ride. There is some beautiful country up that way!

Bob :11grey:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey exavid :waving: Hurry back these guys are lost without you. :crying:
:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Wahoo what a ride!!!:clapper::clapper::clapper:

If I ever decide I can afford a new wing I have already decided that I would make a trip to the USA, but it, ride it from coast to coast then pop it in a container and send it home.

If I was to ride 2500 miles I would travel more than the entire length of our country.

Andrew

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Its good that you are keeping the shiny side up, thus far. Good luck on the rest...:clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey exavid :waving: Hurry back these guys are lost without you. :crying:

Amen:)

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey Paul, thanks for the update !

It's those Windy, Rainy Cold rides that you'll remember and talk about ,glad you came out the other end !

Check your trunk when you get home an "Alien" may have hitched a ride !

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Finally made it home today, laid over at my daughter and son-in-law's house in Medford, OR yester day and did the final 420miles home today. Left Medford at 0730 and arrived in Tacoma at 1430. Today's ride involved sitting out two nasty heavy rain squalls for 15 minutes or so each time. Really heavy rain, had to lower the windshield couldn't see through it, and wished I had a face shield on my helmet, that rain felt like being pelted with gravel.

Anyhow, 3345 miles start to finish 12 days total with ten days riding and two lazing about. The highest point in the ride was at 10,000 feet in Utah. We covered five states. The 70 mph two lane roads in Nevada were the best, excellent condition and very little traffic. You can stop in the middle of Highway 50 and overhaul your engine with not danger of being run over. In parts you can look up and down the road to the horizon and it's empty. Wonderful! I highly recommend Kobold Canyon in Zion National Park, beautiful and some really fine switchbacks. Ditto for Zion itself including the 1.1 mile winding tunnel, narrow it scares the car drivers and requires one way traffic for any large vehicle. My airhorns sounded great in it!

One nice thing about the Goldwing, after a good night's rest, I was always ready to jump aboard and ride the next day!

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome home Paul! Glad you made it safely. I have to agree with you about Zion! I was there a year ago.

Bob

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey exavid :waving:Welcome home again. :clapper:That was a huge ride for an old man like yourself. :jumper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Not all that huge, if I could afford it, I'd be willing to take off again tomorrow!:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you had a great trip, you tell a good tale. By the way, who's this fella,(REDWING), to be calling someone "OLD"...... :action: :gunhead:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

You were here, and didn't call ME????? The nerve! And Friday, I was bored. Oh, well

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
You were here, and didn't call ME????? The nerve! And Friday, I was bored. Oh, well
I apologize, I should have. I guess playing with the new grand daughter sidetracked me! Next time in Medford I'lllook you guys up! Probably be a cage trip there, grandma's needing a baby fix pretty soon.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Yup Paul, that southern Utah is probably one of my fav's. You mentioned the switch backs, couple more you gotta try. One at Mexican Hat (it is gravel but good) and Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado. If memory serves me right 16% grade 5 miles, I wouldn't ski it, but I rode my bike up and down it.

Kyle

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Good deal, Paul Looking forward to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.